How can I reduce truck squat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can get the single auxillary spring in a 250 if the truck is equipped with the Camper Package, or with the High Capacity Trailer Tow Package. Here's a picture of the Super Spring Extended Spring Contacts.
Thanks buddy but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’ll try to find a pic.

Most truck manufacturers include a small to moderate amount of rake in the vehicle design. ... Trucks are designed with a maximum load carrying capacity. When unloaded, the rear of the truck will be higher than the front. At its maximum capacity, the rear of the truck may be slightly lower than the front.Jun. 4, 2021
Window Tint - Auto Detailing - Remote Start | Auto Image › what-i...
What is a Truck Leveling Kit and Why Do I Need One? - Auto Image
Feedback
About featured snippets
People also ask
Why do trucks come with a rake?
What does rake mean for trucks?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210928-132212_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210928-132212_Chrome.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2
Timbrens are not supposed to have any effect when you are not loaded. There are different densities of Timbrens so yes, you could have overdone it.

If the OP is still reading, here is a video on installing the Timbrens, they will make a big difference, but as noted, a truck squatting that much is at or above the GAWR, and what do you have your tires inflated to? Max I hope.

Charles

2 1/2” squat is NOT to much squat for Christ’s sake! And my Timbrens do NOT come into effect when not towing, that’s why I got them. But yes they are too stiff when towing, there’s no give, almost like dead axel..also you’re backwards, the harder the tires the harder the ride. Tires rated MAX 85, I run 75, zero squat on tires. You can over-inflate tires too…

If the Timbrens are too harsh, you might try Sumo Springs. Much more linear in their compression, and come in different support levels depending on the required application. Less harsh than the hard rubber Timbrens IMO.

Thanks Camjr, I'll look into them!
I work from home, and installed them on my 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 X31 yesterday over lunch. About 45 minutes to jack it up, throw the jack stands under it, pull out the existing bump stops, and install the Sumo's. The mfg offers them in 3 different colors based on application, so do some research there (www.superspringsinternational.com).

Attachments

• Sumo.jpg
    Sumo.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2
I've put over a dozen new one ton drw and 3/4 ton trucks in commercial service in the '70s/'80s/early '90s pulling heavy non rv trailers . Most were 4wd trucks due to muddy worksites. Every 4wd truck sat level and every 2wd truck sat tail high by different amounts.
All our trucks had to go though a state scale house so we had to air bag the 4wd trucks so they would sit level. DOT many times will give a red light to check why the truck sags.

Anywayz my '01 2nd gen 2500 2wd Dodge/Cummins had upper aux over load spring pack so no squat with 3400 lbs on the GN ball.
Moved up to my current '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins 3rd gen 2wd same cab and bed as the '01 but for some unknown reason Dodge didn't put a aux upper over spring pack on these trucks.
The truck squats with just 1600 lbs (20 bags of RediMix) in the bed over the rear axles.
For this truck I went with SuperSprings which fixed the sag issue but still had the OEM ride when empty.

Agree with one poster....just ignore those who choose to hijack your thread with the mindless 'cause it squats its gotta' be overloaded non sense.
Answering them just encourages more of the same.
Its like this on every rv website I'm a member of although some are worse than others.

I've put over a dozen new one ton drw and 3/4 ton trucks in commercial service in the '70s/'80s/early '90s pulling heavy non rv trailers . Most were 4wd trucks due to muddy worksites. Every 4wd truck sat level and every 2wd truck sat tail high by different amounts.
All our trucks had to go though a state scale house so we had to air bag the 4wd trucks so they would sit level. DOT many times will give a red light to check why the truck sags.

Anywayz my '01 2nd gen 2500 2wd Dodge/Cummins had upper aux over load spring pack so no squat with 3400 lbs on the GN ball.
Moved up to my current '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins 3rd gen 2wd same cab and bed as the '01 but for some unknown reason Dodge didn't put a aux upper over spring pack on these trucks.
The truck squats with just 1600 lbs (20 bags of RediMix) in the bed over the rear axles.
For this truck I went with SuperSprings which fixed the sag issue but still had the OEM ride when empty.

Agree with one poster....just ignore those who choose to hijack your thread with the mindless 'cause it squats its gotta' be overloaded non sense.
Its like this on every rv website I'm a member of although some are worse than others.
Sorry but you cannot compare a 18 year old 2003 truck and suspension to a new 2021 truck - apples and oranges. An 03 truck shares nothing with a new truck.
No offense just saying -

You make sense! my F-250 equated about 2 1/2-3 " with my 5th wheel, 2300 lb pin weight. Tires say MAX 85lbs cold. With 70 lbs cold and 2300 pin weight the tires bulge NONE! I just don't like other peoples lights in my eyes so I assumed others don't enjoy mine! I adjusted mine down just a bit so when I'm loaded they're not up so much.
The truck rides like an ox cart with 85 lbs of air and I have no doubt the wet rd grip is terrible along with center tread wear. If I know I'm not hauling weight for a while I deflate them to 60lbs! Still zero bulge empty, rides much better and @ a little over 13,000 miles the wear is even
Like I've posted i did put Timbrens on, no affect on empty load but really quite harsh loaded. I just know there beating the crap out of 5th wheel and everything in it. I do intend to look into the SUMO SPRINGS. Can you tell me which "SuperSprings" you use?? Thanks!!

Sorry but you cannot compare a 18 year old 2003 truck and suspension to a new 2021 truck - apples and oranges. An 03 truck shares nothing with a new truck.
No offense just saying -

Every new/newer /old 4wd LDTs I've seen sit pretty darn level compared to the rake same 2wd model has just like they did years ago.
My 2016 crew cab chevy 4wd chevy /'98 3500 DRW crew cab 4wd sit level and sags when loads are added.
Guess in your neck of the woods things are different.
Today just like we did years back serious haulers still add air bags/other aftermarket suspension help to their new 4wd to get them back level.

My 2017 f350 dually crew cab 4wd powerstroke with 8ft box made in USA drops 4 1/2inches when i load my trailer to DEAD LEVEL pin weight 4200 my payload is 5200 im 6'3" and cant reach the safety pin on my hitch unless the trailer has had the weight taken of the front jacks

My made in USA 2013 Chevy Crewcab Std box 4x4 Duramax box had a factory rake of 3 inches so we added a leveling kit to reduce the rake and then added airbags because once loaded we had too much squat

Last edited:
i read most of this thread, and correct me if i missed it ?, but not one post said anything about worn out . bad shocks on the OP's problem ?. i say this, because i just replaced a set of shocks on my '00 chevy silverado 1500 a few months ago, and now the back end sits a tad higher ( load adjusting shocks from monro ), i am very pleased with the ride as of today. i load my '03 trx450fm in the truck bed, hook up my 18ft bp tt to my wd hitch, and my truck rides pretty level. i do understand this is NOT the answer to all problems ?, but just thought i'd toss this in, CHECK THE REAR SHOCKS !.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom