How could we install a window a/c in our pop-up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Several friends have seen this done when they were camping, but we just can't quite figure out a good way to do it. A window a/c would be much cheaper for us than spending $1,000 to have a camping version installed on the roof. Wish we had been able to afford a/c/heat when we bought it new! Oh well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A window A/C projecting from the side of the pop-up?  Does not impress me as a great idea.  Remember that A/C will be traveling down the road at 55-75 mph and subject to debris flying up from your truck's slipstream.    Mounted on top of the pop up, it is in the area buffered by the truck.

To tell the truth, a window A/C is a pretty sure sign of an trailer that is not moving places anymore

The answer depends a lot on your camper... If it is a hard side popup (Apache used to make one that was) it might work, with canvas "Tent-Camper" type popup like I had... I am not sure how much it will help.

That said, I had one, it projected not out the side but out the front. of the lower portion (main body) there was no bed there (There was a slide out bed above it but that was my "Storage" bed) I had to cut the body to install it and then frame it in with wood, it did help, but not too much on temperture as the heat load was way too great (mostly it took moisture out)

My next camper was a SCAMP, this is a fiberglass "Bubble" (shaped something like an Airstream only 13 or 16 feet long (Depending on the model, mine was a 13)  I removed one of the windows and again, framed it in,  Now that worked much better

I have seen people who basically took a piece of plywood, cut a hole and framed it in for the AC and set it in one wall of the camper.  However like the other poster, I'm not much impressed by this as

1: It always looked junkey and 2: See comments about heat load above

(The way I mounted it it did not look nearly as junkey)

But consider you need to cool a room about 15 by 15  or larger when you buy one, that is because of the heat load from the sun on the canvas,  Mine was a bedroom size (10x12 room) so it did not cool much

Thank you both for your replies. When I mentioned installing one, I should have explained that I didn't mean to install it and travel with it. I just meant that we could hook it up somehow at our campsite and just use it there. Then we would take it down before leaving. We only get to camp two-three times a year. That is why we hate to go to the expense of a permanent unit. Thanks for your ideas.

I've seen pop-ups with the lower sidewall cut out to accomodate an window type a/c unit. Since you don't plan to drive with it in, you could even do it on the side rather than front or rear. Pull the a/c out and slip a wooden blank in its place to cover up the hole for travel.

They also make portable air conditioners. They are expensive compared with small window units, but would not need any construction to install. The heat exhaust tube of a portable unit could probably go out through some existing opening in the canvas of a conventional pop-up.
About Portable Air Conditioning
Portable AC
Brilliant Cooler
Walmart Portable AC

Thankful2BAMom said:
Thank you both for your replies. When I mentioned installing one, I should have explained that I didn't mean to install it and travel with it. I just meant that we could hook it up somehow at our campsite and just use it there. Then we would take it down before leaving. We only get to camp two-three times a year. That is why we hate to go to the expense of a permanent unit. Thanks for your ideas.

Well, as I said, in my tent camper I cut the front (you could do the rear too) of the lower "body" and installed there

And I've seen it done by putting a plywood wall up (inside the canvas) and doing it there.

The plywood wall is then taken down to travel,  You would want to cut an opening in the canvas the exact size of the AC, frame it with zippers (Regular coat zippers will work) and glue strips of canvas (or for that matter the other half of the zipper) to the AC, put it in place and zip up.  In case you don't want to use the AC, apply matching zipper halves to the cut out piece so you can replace it too,  (Useing coat zippers you put two right halves and two left halves on the trailer, on the AC and on the cut out piece, you need six zippers three the same length as the AC is wide, and 3 the same length as the AC is tall)  I suggest a good fabric glue in addition to sewing the sippers in place.

I did that with and older pop-up that has been resigned to deer camp/fishing trip lodging for me and my son.? I mounted it in the flat recess where the spare tire mount was located, now I just keep the spare tire in my truck when I tow it.? It's mounted solidly and framed in well, nor does it stick out over the bumper in the rear.? It's bedroom size and cools the interior well.? No danger of it bouncing loose IF you secure it well enough in the opening.? Take your time and study it well before you cut.....measure twice and cut once.? I've towed the camper over hundreds of interstate miles and down some pretty rough back country roads without a hint of a problem of it bouncing around in the opening.? I've attached a couple of pics.

Attachments

• sleepy2 004.jpg
    sleepy2 004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 145
  • sleepy2 184.jpg
    sleepy2 184.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 143
Skeeterbite,
? ? ? ?Thank you so much for the information and the pictures! My husband now has a good idea of what to do. The pictures are wonderful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have been thinking of that for some time now but my only concern is that window ac units tend to be a little louder than roof units and I would hate to disturb other campers with my AC kicking off and on all night.

Two comments.. One, window units are louder!?!  Not that I've noticed,, However you are closer to them and thus they SEEM louder

Two: I installed my window units in the END of the camper, thus the sound was directed out and toward the END of the camper across the street (or more often than not my towing vehicle)  Putting it in the side would have made it much closer to my next door neighbor's bedroom window.  As the real estate man says "Location, Location, Location"

John In Detroit said:
Two comments.. One, window units are louder!?!? Not that I've noticed,, However you are closer to them and thus they SEEM louder

Two: I installed my window units in the END of the camper, thus the sound was directed out and toward the END of the camper across the street (or more often than not my towing vehicle)? ?Putting it in the side would have made it much closer to my next door neighbor's bedroom window.? As the real estate man says "Location, Location, Location"

Indeed, and a roaring A/C in your neighbors patio space can generate a whole raft of campground hate.

Saw this camper on ebay with an add-on a/c unit, looks like it was done pretty cleanly.

Attachments

• af_1.JPG
    af_1.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 101
I did that to my pop-up when I had one.  Did not do a lot for temperture but sure lowered the humidity so it really helped.  Other than I installed on the "Driver's side" and this one was on the other side the instalation was nearly identical.

When I moved up to a SCAMP, I put the cooling unit in the front window  Between the two I had one problem, which was solved easily

Since the units sit a lot without use leaves from the tree the trailer is normally parked near invaded the housing, along with pine needles and formed a nice drain clogging mat which was fun to clean out (required removing it from the rig and taking the cover off) so I built a cover to go over it when not in use

I have just installed a window ac in the back of my starcraft,,I was worried that the vent would not be open enough for the condenser,,as i look on the right side the small door in the back can be open to helps,,,Please no credit yet,,I have cut the outside to much to where there is at least two inch gap on both sides,,And i really feel the with the side door open it still is enough for venting,,,any ideas,,should i cut it open more then figure how to make it look descent,,I wish i had spent more time on doing this,,I have it to where i can pull it inside in case it needs cleaning,,but the whole in the back is really p---ing me of to no end,,I messed up,,any ideas on how to fix this,,,???????

Back
Top Bottom