How Do Gas Prices, Ukraine War, North Korea and Current Items Effect your RV Travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Greetings,

Please DON'T make this into a political discussion. It simply asks if you plan to travel with the above items happening.

One thing that I consider before traveling is things that may happen while traveling. Gas prices are going up
and there is some threat of the Soviet's launching nukes in their war with Ukraine. North Korea has launched missiles lately. Have you given thought of the difficulties of getting back home (unless full timing), to shortages if you wanted to get back home to where you live. Not a scare tactic but it could be messy trying to get home.

One could drive their car home and store their RV until you could come back to pick it up again. (better mileage).

Might be best to just hunker down until things got better and if things didn't get out of hand before heading home again. Just curious about people's thoughts or if you ever gave it a thought.

Never gave any of those things a second thought. Gas prices are on the decline, Russia will not engage in nuclear war and North Korea will just continue to bluster. Nothing to see here. Covid is continuing to rear its ugly head. Friends of ours went on an Alaskan cruise and got Covid along with a bunch of other travelers. Luckily they were vaccinated so the symptoms did not require hospitalization. But they did have to quarantine for 10 days. Our son, also vaccinated got Covid. He felt really bad for a few days and had to quarantine for 5 days.

In short, as others have said they dont. Since we hadnt planned on traveling to Ukraine or North Korea our travel plans havent changed. We plan on heading south again this winter, and even though gas is still high, we have seen it this high before, and we wont let it affect our winter travel plans.

If people are want to worry, they will always find something to worry about.

If people are want to worry, they will always find something to worry about.
Exactly.

And why worry? There isn't a damn thing you can do about any of the above other than react if things come unglued in a hurry. Letting irrational fear stop you from doing the things you love is about the biggest exercise in futility I can imagine.

Besides.....99.999999% of the things I worried about when I was young.....never happened.

We are staying put until after Christmas since Kevin will be getting a knee replacement in early November. After that we will continue behaving the same as usual - a trip to the SW followed by two rallies in Georgia in March.

Besides.....99.999999% of the things I worried about when I was young.....never happened.
But how did the .000001% turn out?

I recall a saying that Tommy used to tell me. Translates from Chinese to something like "Do not worry about what is most expected, it is the very unexpected that is the big danger."

But no, none of it is making any changes to my life. Hope it stays that way.

FWIW, gas prices are expected to go down soon after the changes to the winter gas and all that.

-Don- Auburn, CA

We schedule and take trips as we so desire. As to answering the original question......

"How Do Gas Prices, Ukraine War, North Korea and Current Items Effect your RV Travel"......The bottom line......They Don't!

As to gas and fuel, if one has to ask, they can't afford it. We live on a fixed income and enjoy the trailer and our trips. My wife is 84 and I'm 80. We won't be around much longer to see the effects of the world's crap as it exists today. I do feel sorry for our kids and grandkids and the mess we've left for them. As someone else posted, there isn't a darn thing one can do about it. As I was often told by my parents "pull up your big boy pants and quit whining". I'm only concerned about today, for tomorrow may never come my way.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Tally another for "Unaffected". But we're very lucky. RV'ing is our current form of intentionally trying to enjoy life and not have everything be about work and family obligations. We have a ways to go before we reconsider our RV adventures based on cost.

It brings up a good point though, what if something happened while we were traveling? Anything from something happening at home like a big earthquake or eruption, or maybe getting caught in a Hurricane or Tornado on one of our travels, or what if something happened to one of us while we are on the road? We've saved for this. That's all we can really do. Generally, the more resources, the more choices, unless dying is absolutely unavoidable--then we're all screwed.

But how did the .000001% turn out?
I actually DID fail the statistics exam. Well, I got a D....so close enough.

I got a C on the next one, and managed to eek out a C for the semester, and didn't have to retake the class, since it was required for my major.....or we'd be talking .00001% rate of calamity. ;)

, what if something happened while we were traveling? Anything from something happening at home like a big earthquake or eruption, or maybe getting caught in a Hurricane or Tornado on one of our travels, or what if something happened to one of us while we are on the road?
You'd likely be just as screwed if they happened while you were at home. In fact, assuming you got to safety, you'd be less screwed losing your RV to a tornado than your stick n brick home.

We schedule and take trips as we so desire. As to answering the original question......

"How Do Gas Prices, Ukraine War, North Korea and Current Items Effect your RV Travel"......The bottom line......They Don't!

As to gas and fuel, if one has to ask, they can't afford it. We live on a fixed income and enjoy the trailer and our trips. My wife is 84 and I'm 80. We won't be around much longer to see the effects of the world's crap as it exists today. I do feel sorry for our kids and grandkids and the mess we've left for them. As someone else posted, there isn't a darn thing one can do about it. As I was often told by my parents "pull up your big boy pants and quit whining". I'm only concerned about today, for tomorrow may never come my way.

Bob
The mistake made was believing that N. Korea would change. We should have listened to Patton and MacArthur years ago and dealt the blow to both Russia and N. Korea while we were the only ones with atom bomb.

It's only money; either I spend it or our kids do - later. What hurts more is the amazing drop in value of my IRA since Jan. 2022. It has lost a lot more value than my MRD for this year. I'm hoping for another MRD holiday this year, but not holding my breath.

We're still working stiffs so we mostly take a bunch of long weekends and usually one 7-10 day trip each year. We had most of our 2022 plans made 9 months to a year in advance. Did not change a thing - took all of our trips as planned. Spent a bit more at the gas station than planned but otherwise the current world events had no effect on us. Based on the mostly full campgrounds we saw along the way, most people felt the same way.

One trip left this coming weekend :) - and then it's time to put her to sleep for the winter. :(

We were only doing longish weekends and mostly trips less than 2 hours so it did not affect our plans last summer. Those trips did cost quite a bit more for gas though. We have recently bought a destination trailer in a seasonal lot so we sold our TT. It was listed for over a month for what I thought was a reasonable price and only had 1 inquiry and ended up selling it to Camping World for not much less than what we were asking privately so worked out but I do wonder if gas prices were lower if we would have gotten more responses.

It looks like fuel prices may be headed back up with the most recent cut in production by OPEC. So we shall see if this impacts the travel and sales of pull behind rvs, which is mostly owned by working class folks.

I didn't do any long trips this summer. I just didn't want to put hundred dollar bills thru my exhaust system between medical visits . I would probably sell our current rv if someone would pay a decent price for it because of the lack of use. We can rig our truck for short overnight camping in route to a more lengthy stay at some longer desirable locations, burning less fuel in the process.

Everything works and in good condition, which is the time to sell. Then I would either rent one for travel or join in on the airbnb rentals at the intended travel location.. And yes even the foreign events has a way of affecting the western countries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom