How Do Gas Prices, Ukraine War, North Korea and Current Items Effect your RV Travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were paying mid-4’s for diesel on our trip to Glacier two weeks ago. Not as bad as it’s been, that’s for sure, but still a ways to go before it feels “normal” again.

Gasoline is still way up on the West Coast because of issues with the California refineries, I guess.

So even when diesel was $5.50 a gallon....Here's how a quick 4 day 3 night trip to the mountains would shake out. Scenario 1, we take the truck & trailer. Scenario 2, we drive the Camaro up and stay in a hotel. 250 mile round trip. Since we're just discussing whether or not a spike in fuel costs (caused by whatever) or global uncertainties are keeping the RV parked, this model doesn't factor in the cost of the vehicles.

Fuel costs.

Scenario 1. 250 miles / 14 MPG = 17.86 gallons X $5.50= $98.22 in fuel cost.
Scenario 2. 250 miles / 28 MPG = 8.93 gallons X $4.50= $ $40.17 in fuel cost.

Lodging Expenses.

Scenario 1. 3 nights X $35 a night for full hookup spot = $105
Scenario 2. 3 nights at a nice hotel in a resort town = 3X$175= $525

Food & Beer

Scenario 1. Bring our own, $30
Scenario 2, eat out every day and have a beer with dinner 3 X $30= $90

Total costs

Scenario 1 = $232
Scenario 2 = $655

Of course, the intangibles like the fun factor of RVing don't have a monetary value....but they should.

The oil companies are saying they have to change over to the Winter mixture. Thus production is down while they are doing that. Plus, they say the Winter mixture cost more to produce. Plus they must produce heating oil and less gasoline. The old economics formula of supply and demand applies.

Jayflight, fuel/gas has risen by 30 cents a gallon within the last 7 days here in Indiana, after declining to $3.989/gallon 2 weeks ago.

Here in the Des Moines Iowa area in some places it got down below $3.00, then back up to about $3.40, then back down to about $3.10 then back up to about $3.70, and now down to $3.45 is the lowest I saw today. Glad we live here!

No affect. Our tow vehicle is electric.
Really? Thats the first I have heard about that.:p The difference in your towing setup is that your package is matched, which has a lot more limits with your range and weight with your tow vehicle. Of course we understand that the package works for you, which you downsized from needing a fuel tanker to go along with you when you were on the road.

Really? Thats the first I have heard about that.:p The difference in your towing setup is that your package is matched, which has a lot more limits with your range and weight with your tow vehicle. Of course we understand that the package works for you, which you downsized from needing a fuel tanker to go along with you when you were on the road.
Heh heh. Yah that’s for sure. We have toured over 15000 kilometres this year. It would have been pricey in our pusher.

But really we are travelling different now and the majority of campgrounds we have been in this year wouldn’t have accomodated the pusher. It’s a different kind of touring and camping than we used to do and we really enjoy it. We needed to change it up and we are happy we did. Unfortunately we winterized a few days ago. We won’t be going out until next April now. Sigh…. 🥲

Unfortunately we winterized a few days ago.
:cry::cry::cry:

So glad I have almost forgotten what that word means!

Very rarely gets below 0°C / 32°F here in Auburn and when it does it's not for long.

But I do a lot of my RVing in mid-winter to warmer places. But then the other RV is still here. Both ready to go all year.

-Don- Auburn, CA

:cry::cry::cry:

So glad I have almost forgotten what that word means!

Very rarely gets below 0°C / 32°F here in Auburn and when it does it's not for long.

But I do a lot of my RVing in mid-winter to warmer places. But then the other RV is still here. Both ready to go all year.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Ahhh your makin me jealous brother. But next winter we are taking the slow road down the west coast till we hit Malibu. A few weeks there then on to Puerto Peñasco Mexico for about 6 weeks. Should be fun.

We've decided on more time in Indio this winter. We just had so much fun last year.

OPEC just announced 2 million barrels a day cut in production.When is the relief in gasoline taxes due to end? The national reserve is now low, there's already talk of needing to start replenishing it. I predict close to $2.00 a gallon price increase by the end of the year..

Puerto Peñasco is a town in Mexico. They have several charge facilities there. And we’ll have a full service 30 amp site.
Plugshare shows there are two places named "Puerto Peñasco". One in Baja California and the other in Sonora.

Which one are you going to?

I don't see any fast DC charging close to either, so I assume you will be charging with slow AC. Not much of an issue if you're staying overnight where you can charge.

-Don- Auburn, CA

So how do you charge in Puerto Penasco?
If you can find AC voltage, you can charge. Any AC voltage between around 90 and 250 VAC as long as you have the correct adapters.

Charge at any RV Park that has electricity.

But it will take hours to charge from near empty to near full on 240 VAC. Perhaps 40 miles added per hour of charge. A few days on 120 VAC. But often even the 120 VAC isn't much of an issue as long as you're NOT using the car for long trips after being set up somewhere. IOW, doing other things as it is slowly charging most of the day as well as all night.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Back
Top Bottom