How do I complete the solar prep? pics attached

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boat Bum

Hi again, as I am becoming more familiar with my coach I'm discovering lots of new information. My 2015 Bay Star came with solar prep. I have confirmed the solar panel on the roof and found two wires in my battery bank labeled solar prep; one red one white. My panel also has a sticker also labeled solar prep.

Solar panel on roof, this is the inspector's photo, I have since cleaned this and the entire roof.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 11.39.42 AM.png

Solar prep from panel, top left.

IMG_20220807_093232.jpg

I don't have a pic of the prep wires in the battery compartment, I'll get later, but there is a red and white one only.

Without going into too much discussion ;) My question is, what is needed to complete this setup. I'm looking in general, I will deep dive on all the steps involved, as mentioned here, so no need to argue semantics or extreme corner cases.

I appreciate everyones efforts.

What is the wattage of that panel? That will drive if you need a controller or not. It's curious that someone would've installed a panel and not hooked it up to anything.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Since there is an actual solar panel installed, you have more than just "solar prep". My assumption would be that the former owner went from prep to actual and try to verify that. Start with that voltage check.

Here are the wires I found, the label says solar prep 5amp.

IMG_20220810_152026.jpg

I tested it for power with red to red and the black from meter to ground on battery, nothing. I tried again only red to red and black to the white and still nothing. I confirmed the meter and fuse are good.

I too found it odd that it was half there, the build sheet confirmed "solar prep."

Pretty sure I think I found it. 5W panel. Not really a solar solution as much a battery maintainer for like 1 battery. If this isn't it, with a 5amp fuse it's gotta be <50W panel.

For me it wouldn't be worth the time to troubleshoot it and hook it up, but If I did I would start at the panel.

Thank you for that, Ex-Calif, you are absolutely right. I did some digging on the Newmar forum and that is a 5 amp battery maintainer for the chassis battery and was added at the factory.

My solar prep has be left un-molested and I now know where the wires are/go and basically what I need to finish, all by just searching and finding all this great information.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Thank you for that, Ex-Calif, you are absolutely right. I did some digging on the Newmar forum and that is a 5 amp battery maintainer for the chassis battery and was added at the factory.

My solar prep has be left un-molested and I now know where the wires are/go and basically what I need to finish, all by just searching and finding all this great information.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

As you plan for more solar the first check would be the size of those wires. I blew your photo up but couldn't tell the wire size but it looks like 12ga which should be good for about 400W in parallel.

Above that you can rewire with a heavier gauge or run the panels in series/parallel and match to a good MPPT controller.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom