How Do I Get My Awning Down??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RJake1

I bought a 1985 used RV.  No manuals.  I can't figure out how to get the awning down. 

I looked at top and there is no latch lock on the cylinder like my other awnings.  At the base of the awning each side has 2 cotter pins holding each rail to the RV.  There is a black round knob on the back of each rail.  There is a pull handle on the side of each rail.  The vinyl itself has a loop so I am able to grab it with my pull rod if I could figure out how to unlock it.  Can anyone please give some advice?  Thanks.

rjake1:

Some of the earlier Carefrees use the a lock in the lower handles to hold the awning in place. Handles had to be out to extend and in to retract. (Our 83 required a firm pull on the handles to unlock)

It may be a more recent awning than your other ones.  It sounds like a Carefree, and if so, the latch on the forward arm slides upward to unlock the roller tube.  Loosen the two black knobs so the rafters can slide free.  There is probably a rafter lock on the aft arm as well, this should be unlocked.  Then use the loop to pull the awning out.  Do not remove the cotter pins, they are not involved in extending the awning.

If the above doesn't seem to apply, then a picture or two of the awning arms can help us identify the make and model.

Thank you.  I'll give it a try.  I don't think its a Carefree.  Some other brand which names escapes me.

Hello, this is alittle late but I'm new and reading everything!! A buddy of mine had an old 84 travcelcraft MH and his awning had to be lifted up out of two cradles mounted at the top on the side of MH..
Randy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom