How do I know the weight limit on my RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there were two stickers on the door, one was from Ford in 06/90 and the other(this one) is from WINNEBAGO at 08/90, but GAWR actually increased...
Regardless, the GAWR only lists the total capacity of each axle, including the weight of the "house", furniture, appliances, and anything else brought on board, including people. The GVWR, "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating", less the actual measured weight, is what determines how much additional weight capacity is available for other add-ons.

Winnebago may have upfitted heavier leaf springs, added a leaf to the leaf spring pack, etc. allowing them to increase the GAWR, which they are legally allowed to do as a federally licensed vehicle upfitter.

At the area highlighted in red, you will need to add approx. 100# of metal bracing/support to the frame; as it is not now designed to support nearly that much proposed weight.
Use simple mathmatics to figure out how much weight will be removed from the front axle and added to the RR rear duals,+ the 2000#. Will the tires have the capacity to safely support this added weight?

Hi, My RV is currently at a repair shop, but it was a 1990 Ford E350 Minnie Winnie 27FT.
Is the GVWR the only thing that matters? or should I worry about one side being too heavy?
Imagine you are towing. That is about 10000lbs pulling or pushing force on your engine on a average scale. E350 just snorts with an attitude. Put the new 2000lb tank and camp like a king/queen. Good luck.
Also, your idea of doing it in the rear is a brilliant idea. It boosts your drivability and reduces vibration.

Imagine you are towing. That is about 10000lbs pulling or pushing force on your engine on a average scale. E350 just snorts with an attitude. Put the new 2000lb tank and camp like a king/queen. Good luck.
Also, your idea of doing it in the rear is a brilliant idea. It boosts your drivability and reduces vibration.

I am not sure. Based on GAWR from my RV, it seems totally fine to add 2000lb. But given the RV is 31 years old and framing might have water damage, plus the conclusion on this forum is contradicting, I don't know. Maybe just add a 100-gallon tank for now and think about upgrading it later? I might need some RV service guy to decide for me.

The only way you are going to know how much weight allowance you have is to take the unit to a truck scale and have it weighed. Your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is 11,500 pounds. Compare that to the scale ticket and do some math. Scale weight minus 11,500 is your overhead.

When you weigh it, have it loaded like you would be using it.

Experienced RV'ers here are concerned you are setting yourself up for a potential colossal failure.

Some interesting posts lol.
Here is my take for whats its worth having built 100s of flat decks water trucks picker trucks with 2000 to 30 and 40000lb cranes
1) putting that much weight on an old frame is trouble
2) putting that much weight BEHIND the axle is trouble
3) putting that much water without a waste tank of equal size is redundant
4) the cost of the tank and install washer and dryer and instal is worth more than the RV
5) people do the dumbest things - this isnt the dumbest but its on the list lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom