How do I light my oven pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hog Wild

I recently sold my 2008 Jayco Jayflight and bought a 2017 Gulf Stream Kingsport travel trailer and it must be smarter than me because I can't seem to be able to light my oven pilot. The salesman showed me the basics of operation and I didn't ask enough questions evidently, since I previously owned other campers. I have unsuccessfully tried to light the polo several times. I lit the top burners and let them burn a couple minutes to asure there was no air in the lines. I turn the oven to pilot and with a long Bic propane lighter try to light the pilot. There must be a trick to it I don't know. I am set up in a campground and the dealership is closed until tomorrow. So can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong and what is the right way to light this oven from hell.

With ours, you turn it to pilot  and then push in the knob. Then, light the pilot.

Thank you I will try that because all I've been doing is turn to pilot and try lighting it

You probably have to turn it to pilot, then push AND HOLD until it lights. Usually takes about 30 seconds to light. It ain't fun.

Larry has it (Like your tag line too Larry).  You turn to pilot, press and hold, light the pilot, continuie to hold for up to a full minute (Amount of time varies from oven to oven but a full minute after it lights is usually enough.

The thermocouple generates a small electric current, this flows through a magnet in the oven control.. the magnet is not strong enough to open the valve but it will hold it.. Pressing the knob, in the pilot position or if there is one the "LIGHT" position, (you can not press it in the wrong position) opens the valve,,, Takes time for the thermocouple to heat up (Why the minute) than the electrocmagnet it powers can HOLD the valve open.

For someone who grew up with propane water heaters and ovens.... This is simple.. For folks who were raised electric.. Not so much.

I usually wait about 15 seconds after it lights and while watching the flame I let the knob come back out. If the flame starts to get real small, I just push it back in and wait another 15 seconds. Eventually the flame will stay lit.

The only hard part is that you push the knob in with your right hand and use the lighter stick with your left. Being strongly right handed, I always have trouble operating the safety features of the lighter with my left hand.

Joel

My pilot lighting process:

Open oven door and get down on knees, groaning as I go.
Turn knob to pilot and press and hold with right hand.
Let go of knob because I cannot reach in the oven with the left hand.
Switch hands, press and hold knob, try to light long handled candle lighter.
#$%*%^( thing won't light.
"Marion!  Where is the working lighter?!?"
She comes over to remind me that I have to push the lighter thumb switch then click the trigger.
Knees complaining too much from scrunching on the floor too long, have to stand up.
Moan and groan until I can stand up to return blood flow to the far limbs.
Back down to my knees so I can see the pilot inside the oven.
Confirm that I can light lighter.
Left hand on the knob pressing it in.
Light lighter and reach in to light the pilot.
Watch it burn, warming up the thermo-thingie.
Wait one minute.  Let go of knob.  Watch the pilot go out.
#$%^*($)#!
Marion says "I thought you said to wait a minute.  You only waited 2 seconds"
I repeat the lighting sequence as my legs threaten to fall off from lack of blood flow.
Wait a while, actually counting past 15 seconds this time.
The pilot remains lit and I release the knob.

I won't bore you with all the groaning and moaning I make trying to stand back up.

vinceherman said:

She comes over to remind me that I have to push the lighter thumb switch then click the trigger.
Knees complaining too much from scrunching on the floor too long, have to stand up.
#$%^*($)#!
I repeat the lighting sequence as my legs threaten to fall off from lack of blood flow.

I won't bore you with all the groaning and moaning I make trying to stand back up.

LOL

I devised an easier method. "Dorothy, push this knob in and hold it while I light the pilot."

Joel

vinceherman said:

#$%^*($)#!

That's classic.

This should be moved to the library section, under how to lite that D*** oven.

We all forgot the most important item !!!

If your belly so much as touches the oven door with two ounces of pressure, you will bend the oven door hinges or their mounting structure and the door won't shut properly until you spend a few hours banging and twisting everything back to a reasonably normal state.

Since Dorothy and Toto ain't in Kansas anymore, that would probably mean boiling a frozen block of eight hotdogs for that meal while banging on the oven door.

I have actually considered building an adjustable candle holder so I could light the candle in the front of the oven and just push it to the proper position with the lighter or some tongs. Or connect the holder to the inspection camera I just bought which has a three foot flexible tube and LED lighting. It always seem that finding that crummy thermocouple in the dark oven is half of the problem. But then, I also need some type of clamp to hold the pilot knob down too.

Actually, it seems to make more sense to just go out to dinner and find another Dorothy.  Aahhhhh, No.

Maybe, after four years, I'll just read the convection microwave book. Surely it has a section on how to cook a frozen block of hotdogs.

My oven door, from day one, has leaked so much heat that preheating seemed to take forever.

Rather than taking the door apart and bending or pinching a bunch of stuff multiple times, I opted for a different fix which I'm sure others must also use. And, no, I opted to not have it worked on while on warranty or even call the oven manufacturer.

I cut a 3/4 inch wooden dowel to a length which would provide some angle to hold the door tightly shut when wedged between the floor and the oven handle. Then, I slipped a rubber bumper on each end.

After lighting the oven and setting it to the proper temperature, I place the dowel against the oven handle, drop the other end to the floor and give it a slight tap with my foot to seat the oven door.

Works great and seems to reduce preheat time by half so I'm sure the cooking cycle uses less propane also.

My solution was not to have a gas oven!
If it can't be prepared in a convection/microwave, it doesn't need to be cooked!

On my oven the top cover has to be up. It opens the gas valve to the oven. You can hear it click when opening.

vinceherman said:

#$%^*($)#!

*%% When I'm down there on my knees I look around to see if there is any thing else needing tending too!!! $$%%

I wonder why stove manufacturers didn't run a wire from the electronic lighter so you could light the oven pilot light just like you do with the burners. Just keep rotating the striker until it lights. I wonder if that could be done now by tying into one of the burner wires and run it to the underside of the burner tube for the oven.  I would think that you could buy wiring which will withstand the high temperatures of a oven.

On another site found this discussion.
Http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/stove-electronic-ignition-conversion-10019.html

These propane ovens are slow to light.  I don't even bother setting it to Pilot anymore.  I just move the knob to the temperature I want and then light the pilot.  I wait until the flame goes around its ring before closing the door.  Also, I've recently switched from a cigarette-style lighter to a BBQ lighter.  It's easier.

ArdraF

bobsharon said:
On another site found this discussion.
Http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/stove-electronic-ignition-conversion-10019.html

Bob, I'm no able to open that site.  :eek: ::)

Back
Top Bottom