How do I test a newly wired 7 pin connector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banjoman

Having fried my car's wiring harness by plugging in a damaged 7 pin blade-type connector, I've wired the connector according to the wiring diagram in the user manual for the camper. How do I test it to make sure it's functioning properly before I plug it into the car? I don't see any obvious damage to the trailer wiring but I'd hate to plug it in and fry the car again.

Thanks

You could actually test it with a simple 12 volt test light. Harbor freight has them for just a few dollars.

They are safe to use. Just clip the ground to a ground point.

You could use the wire that is ground for your connector.

Then test each pin while making sure that the function that they power is on such as the turn signal, the other turn signal, and on.

If you wired it when you replaced it than use the instructions or schematic color guide to show you their function.

On the other hand I wonder if I can use this round-to- blade adaptor and then use the tester you linked above? @uchu

Thanks all. I think I'll use the trailer walk through to confirm I've wired it correctly and I've found a video that walks through using a DC test light and battery to test the trailer. I already have a tester for the car.

Welcome to the forum.

You can use something like this:

Beat me to it UCHU did.

That's how I tested mine.

I've wired the connector according to the wiring diagram in the user manual for the camper. How do I test it to make sure it's functioning properly before I plug it into the car?
Since you are wanting to check the RV side of the connection before connecting you will not have 12V to the plug so the best way is by using an ohm meter. The device from Curt is intended to connect to the tow vehicle and check the proper outputs from that end but has no power and it is the female plug, the same as the plug on your trailer. If you review this video it will cover a good way to test your trailer plug and wiring without connecting it to the tow vehicle.

Banjo,
You wrote camper....
Let's start there.
Assume it is an RV and not a truck 7 wire. ??
Use the camper's break-away battery and a piece of wire and an flat screw driver.
Now look up the pin out on the web and go around and make sure that the lights are where they should be. Be careful of the brakes (pin2) because that can draw a lot more power than the lights. You should be able to get on that terminal and here the brake "clank".
Next, buy a cheapy of a 12v test light and make sure that your tow vehicle is turning on the lights and brakes the way it should.
If things don't work, you can come back here to ask if you bring very specific questions.
We can try to help.
Matt

Banjo,
You wrote camper....
Let's start there.
Assume it is an RV and not a truck 7 wire. ??
Use the camper's break-away battery and a piece of wire and an flat screw driver.
Now look up the pin out on the web and go around and make sure that the lights are where they should be. Be careful of the brakes (pin2) because that can draw a lot more power than the lights. You should be able to get on that terminal and here the brake "clank".
Next, buy a cheapy of a 12v test light and make sure that your tow vehicle is turning on the lights and brakes the way it should.
If things don't work, you can come back here to ask if you bring very specific questions.
We can try to help.
Matt
Thanks Matt,

Yes it is a small teardrop - Camp Inn. Between you and Kirk I think I have everything I need. I'll check it probably a dozen times and still be scared to death when I finally plug it in.

Back
Top Bottom