How do we handle deliveries like Amazon, eBay, etc.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yorick

My wife and I are considering a full-time RV life. Click here for our details.

I've watched dozens of hours of videos, read over a hundred posts, researched online, etc. One thing I can't seem to find good info on is how people are handling shipping.

My wife is an amazing craftsman with jewelry in the Philippines. She plans to take those skills "on the road" (literally!) in our RV life. We'll be moving around. She will have her materials with her. We can easily ship from any location. That's not the issue. We can have return shipments go back to our home base in Idaho to be handled by my sister or other family. That's not the issue either.

The issue is the receiving of packages (e.g. new materials). In some cases, orders will be via Amazon. Not a big issue if an Amazon Locker is nearby. But, what if we need to deliver to the campgrounds? What has been your experience with deliveries to the campgrounds?

eBay orders are even more challenging because ETA on shipments are not very exact especially when coming from overseas. We have a plan for that by shipping to a future location even before we get there.

Would love to hear feedback from people. All the feedback has helped me greatly to prepare. Thanks in advance.

I have had nothing but good luck getting packages from Amazon. I have averaged one delivery a day for the last few years, but I am permanently parked here. But Amazon is wonderful to deal with if there ever is a problem. They have the best customer service of any company I have dealt with. I ordered several things while on the road and the RV park personnel were always very helpful. You can usually have it sent to the campground or to your site.

M
Not a problem at all. Plan to spend a week or two at one location. Order and have it shipped to the park address and your site number. We did this foe sever years when we camp hosted. Never had an issue. As a last resort have the package dropped at the park office.

One thing I can't seem to find good info on is how people are handling shipping.
I purchased a new TPMS for my new RV from Amazon while in St. Cloud, FL. The very first time I used one of their:

Amazon Hub Lockers.

Click on above to find such places near you. I am an Amazon Prime member and I received it the day after I ordered it on-line.

-Don- Reno, NV

We've been using Amazon's lockers as needed for awhile now, in fact have two packages coming in on Thursday here in St Marys, GA. We've found lockers reasonably nearby nearly everywhere we've been on the east coast so far. The only exception was Midway Campground near Ochopee, FL where the nearest lockers were either in Naples or Miami, over an hour away. We didn't need to order anything while we were there though. Other items, we've had shipped to General Delivery or a nearby UPS Store or similar shipping retailer. UPS Stores will even accept USPS deliveries if you sign a release form first. UPS and FEDEX will often deliver to campsites, but check with the park office first. For Amazon, we always use the lockers when available just for the security versus packages being left on our motorhome steps while we're out.

We've been using Amazon's lockers as needed for awhile now, in fact have two packages coming in on Thursday here in St Marys, GA. We've found lockers reasonably nearby nearly everywhere we've been on the east coast so far. The only exception was Midway Campground near Ochopee, FL where the nearest lockers were either in Naples or Miami, over an hour away. We didn't need to order anything while we were there though. Other items, we've had shipped to General Delivery or a nearby UPS Store or similar shipping retailer. UPS Stores will even accept USPS deliveries if you sign a release form first. UPS and FEDEX will often deliver to campsites, but check with the park office first. For Amazon, we always use the lockers when available just for the security versus packages being left on our motorhome steps while we're out.
Thanks for the detailed feedback, @NY_Dutch . That's very helpful.

We have had Amazon deliver to our RV site many times over the years. The most recent was last summer. But you do need to be sure that the park management doesn't object to that. We have Amazon Prime and so it rarely takes more than 1 or 2 days.

You will need to different methods in different locations. Some parks allow package deliveries but others may not, so check with the CG office. And some deliveries will be via USPS rather than a package service, and mail has different rules than package services, both in terms of the delivery and whether the park allows it. Many parks will not accept US mail at the gate or office, and postal workers generally do not bring mail to a campsite, even if the site # is clearly marked in the address. And be prepared to stay in one place long enough for a delivery to arrive, especially these days when delays seem frequent.

All that said, we've received all sorts of package deliveries when traveling and rarely any problem as long as we worked within the rules framework.

One thing we've noticed using the Amazon lockers, is that the estimated delivery date on the website nearly always changes to a day earlier when using a locker. Don't look for an early pickup though, the orders don't usually seem to make it to the lockers until mid-afternoon. My preference is using lockers that are outside of the retail locations rather than inside or service desk pickups. The outside locations are not limited by the store hours.

UPS Stores will accept delivery of packages via UPS, FedEx, USPS etc. Also UPS Access Points in many Advance Auto Parts and CVS will accept UPS packages.

One thing we've noticed using the Amazon lockers, is that the estimated delivery date on the website nearly always changes to a day earlier when using a locker. Don't look for an early pickup though, the orders don't usually seem to make it to the lockers until mid-afternoon. My preference is using lockers that are outside of the retail locations rather than inside or service desk pickups. The outside locations are not limited by the store hours.
Really helpful, @NY_Dutch ... use outside locations to avoid stores closing. Nice!

We get parcels sent to our UPS store address, RV Parks if allowed or UPS stores (they charge though). Not tried lockers but they're a good idea.

One point - be vigilant about the delivery address. I had to get an exchange and didn't realise it had originally been shipped to an RV Park in Benson. Luckily I noticed in time and amended the new delivery.

We've had a number of different experiences when having items sent to us on the road. We only stay at public parks and have encountered parks that happily accept any packages and call you to let you know when things arrive. Parks that refuse to accept packages. Parks that say "no problem" but no one picks up the mail for days as it doesn't come to park directly.

Best option in our experience is the same as others here mentioned. Amazon lockers where available. A plus with the lockers is that if for any reason you can't pick up your package, it's returned with no effort on your part.

Sending directly to UPS or FedEx stores (not those "affiliates") directly is another good option.

General deliver to a nearby post office is another option as long as you don't make the mistake I made once. Wasn't paying attention and had a FedEx package sent general delivery to a Post Office. They would not give it to me as they wanted $17 for postage. Had to refuse the delivery, contact the seller and have them reship. Duh... :sick:

We've had a number of different experiences when having items sent to us on the road. We only stay at public parks and have encountered parks that happily accept any packages and call you to let you know when things arrive. Parks that refuse to accept packages. Parks that say "no problem" but no one picks up the mail for days as it doesn't come to park directly.

Best option in our experience is the same as others here mentioned. Amazon lockers where available. A plus with the lockers is that if for any reason you can't pick up your package, it's returned with no effort on your part.

Sending directly to UPS or FedEx stores (not those "affiliates") directly is another good option.

General deliver to a nearby post office is another option as long as you don't make the mistake I made once. Wasn't paying attention and had a FedEx package sent general delivery to a Post Office. They would not give it to me as they wanted $17 for postage. Had to refuse the delivery, contact the seller and have them reship. Duh... :sick:
Very helpful, @jymbee. Thanks much!

A couple of minutes ago, while reading this thread, I got a text from the UPS driver for the campground at Tom's Place. Told him I wasn't in the campground yet, as it wasn't open, but that I'm staying at a campground in the nearby town of Bishop. He replied that another driver will be delivering my package, straight to my door at the campground this afternoon. How's that for service?

A couple of minutes ago, while reading this thread, I got a text from the UPS driver for the campground at Tom's Place. Told him I wasn't in the campground yet, as it wasn't open, but that I'm staying at a campground in the nearby town of Bishop. He replied that another driver will be delivering my package, straight to my door at the campground this afternoon. How's that for service?
That's rare but also encouraging for those of us in - or planning to be in - this fulltime RV traveling life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom