How do you decide where to go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You left out Cawker City, KS :) and its World's Largest Ball of Sisal Twine, started in 1953, at 8,507,430 feet long and 27,017 lbs, according to one sign I've seen (it's about 10 ft tall). Cawker City is along U.S. Hwy 24 in north central Kansas, not too far from what, until 1959, was the Geographical Center of the United States (now of the 48 contiguous states) near Lebanon, KS where my Dad grew up.

As Kirk says, most states have these little tidbits. Some day I hope to stop at the Museum of Independent Telephony ( Abilene, KS - Museum of Independent Telephony ) or Independent Telephony or perhaps make a Kansas trip specifically to check out a number of the small museums I've seen indications from along I-70, along with some of the interesting things found elsewhere in the state according to sites such as Plan Your Kansas Adventure | Kansas Tourism or What to See & Do in Kansas | Must See Attractions for 2022

In other words, lots of ways to find things to see/do.

30 years ago we set a goal of visiting all the Presidential Libraries. We've now hit them all and in the process have seen all the lower 48 states.
So make a goal and get going...times a'wasting!

If the point is to see extremes, stick to California. I'm sure to be corrected on some of these claims, but to my memory right now, we have the:
Oldest living trees
Biggest trees
Tallest trees
Lowest point in USA
Hottest place in USA
Tallest peak in continental USA
Biggest surf in the continental USA
Sorry, but I have to add to this list:
  • Most expensive gas
  • Most expensive and worst state parks
  • Worst traffic in some places
My son lives in California and there are some places I like, but the three items I mentioned do make it a challenge to drive there. I tend to stick to regional campgrounds in California because they are nicer, better cared for, and less expensive than the state parks.

Sorry, but I have to add to this list:
  • Most expensive gas
  • Most expensive and worst state parks
  • Worst traffic in some places
My son lives in California and there are some places I like, but the three items I mentioned do make it a challenge to drive there. I tend to stick to regional campgrounds in California because they are nicer, better cared for, and less expensive than the state parks.
Well gas isn't a problem since I don't buy it lol.
But having grown up in CA I gotta say it has the most parks and they are all stunning. I've been camping at a bunch of BLM sites recently and since they are free it's even better and they were all well taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom