How do you decide where to go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah my plan is for about 200-300 miles a day. I'll be retiring in April so free time is the only time I'll have. In CA the winter winds are intense at least in So-Cal where I am, so be aware of that whenever y'all come this way.
My DH (Dear Husband) and it agree that we only plan to travel 200 - 300 miles a day.

The lowest point in each state might be adventure too.
2nd lowest point works for me here. 227 feet below sea level right here. Death Valley at Badwater is 282' below. But you cannot camp at Badwater and the Furnace Creek campgrounds are at 164' below.

So right now, I am perhaps at the very lowest elevation in the entire world where an RV can be camped at.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA

2nd lowest point works for me here. 227 feet below sea level right here. Death Valley at Badwater is 282' below. But you cannot camp at Badwater and the Furnace Creek campgrounds are at 164' below.

So right now, I am perhaps at the very lowest elevation in the entire world where an RV can be camped at.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA

OK. Salton Sea is 52 feet deep roughly. It was accidentally made in around 1905 to 1907. So -227-52=-279 feet was roughly the original low point. Close enough.

Have they fixed the problems with the river/creek water there yet?

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA
Unfortunately, the answer is no, the problem is still not fixed, and they are still posting warnings about wading and allowing children or dogs in the river. They say part of the problem is due to warmer water conditions and also farm runoff, plus there has not been any heavy floods to wash the bacteria downstream.

Did you know that sewer and farm runoff caused a similar problem with Silver Springs, FL? The spring was contaminated and brown algae started to grow in the river. Development also caused less water to flow, which contributed to the problem. And with tourists headed for places like Orlando instead of taking glass bottom boat tours, the place was not doing well so was sold to the state for a state park. Nice camping area, and you can still ride the boats or kayak the river--but watch out for the alligators! I did that with some friends, but we saw only a couple of small ones.

The Mysterious Dog-Killing Bacteria Plaguing a Popular National Park

"Zion National Park is one of the country’s, if not the world’s, natural wonders. In Eastern Utah, "

They must have moved the park! It was in SW Utah the last time I was there.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA

If the point is to see extremes, stick to California. I'm sure to be corrected on some of these claims, but to my memory right now, we have the:
Oldest living trees
Biggest trees
Tallest trees
Lowest point in USA
Hottest place in USA
Tallest peak in continental USA
Biggest surf in the continental USA

If the point is to see extremes, stick to California. I'm sure to be corrected on some of these claims, but to my memory right now, we have the:
Oldest living trees
Biggest trees
Tallest trees
Lowest point in USA
Hottest place in USA
Tallest peak in continental USA
Biggest surf in the continental USA
You missed highest place in the lower 48 with Mt Whitney.

After having lived in 9 states, and traveling by RV for 50 years and 12 of those years as a fulltimer, you couldn't see and do everything in three lifetimes.
I mean I'm sure there is plenty of crap I've not seen but it's one of those you don't know what you don't know situations which is also part of the reason I started this thread to get ideas

If it wasn't for the outstanding 4 and 5 star professionally written reviews of the Bushwhacker, it wouldn't even have the 2.8 star overall rating.

Those reviews are for a different model but whatever that's not the point. Braxton Creek has like zero QC so there are definitely some things that aren't exactly ideal with the fit/finish but the trailer is great for a building block and for the price it can't be beat. The next closest trailer is like a T@G and this one has features that one doesn't.

I remodeled the kitchen and battery before I even took it out once lol. Now it's great and it's exactly how I want it to be.
200Ah LiFePO4 and 200w rooftop solar, 3x Ironman4x4 awnings, oven, and I have a 12v dual temp fridge freezer as well.

PXL_20221007_194701642.jpg

Depends on what one likes to do.

We like caves, natural history museums, art museums, living history museums, aquariums, botanical gardens, wildlife refuges, oceans, lakes, rivers and places the dog can go with us. I like to add a restaurant to the mix (onlyinyourstate is my best source along with google maps.... high star count with lots of reviews is the tipoff to a good local restaurant). We also like places that are not wall-to-wall people. We don't care for shopping or drinking.

For locations, I like to look at onlyinyourstate.com and pinterest as a starting point. I use mymaps (google maps) to create a state map filled with places I find interesting. I add nearby campgrounds/rv parks and restaurants to the mix.

Most folks seem to respond to climate or seasons. Your post is more like I would expect. Chasing your interests.

I'll be living in my trailer full time in a few months an i have a few places i plan to go but nothing after that? How do y'all determine where to travel to, and how long to stay there?

Like LMHS it's all about your interests. I like war museums for the history but my interests are wide and varied. I generally have a direction to head and then I research along the path to see if there is anything that piques my interest.

I use "RoadTrippers" for trip planning. You can set it up to look for attractions within a mile range of your route. I usually set it at 60 miles.

There are also a lot of things on my bucket list. I want to visit the Ike Presidential Library and the Wizard of Oz museum in Kansas. I have zoomed through Kansas a few times with no time to stop.

So with this destination in mind I add some things. Buddy in Phoenix, MIL in Missoula for example. Then I want to see the Upper Peninsula. So my next trip will be out west, head north, hit the upper peninsula then either head back to FL or head to Bangor Maine. I want to hang out in the fishing, lobstering and crabbing towns.

Being from Calif originally I've done the left coast to death from border to border. I am definitely a boat and water guy so I also want to do the east coast North to south. Boat museums and lighthouses are also in my interests bucket.

I want to visit the Ike Presidential Library and the Wizard of Oz museum in Kansas. I have zoomed through Kansas a few times with no time to stop.
That is a good example of what is available in every state if someone is willing to do just a little bit of research. I grew up in KS and still have a lot of friends and family there so am probably a lot more familiar with it that most, but things like the Cosmosphere and the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve are part of a long list of things most people don't ever visit. Kansas has a free travel guide, as do pretty much all states. We used to get a free copy from each state along our travels a few months before heading out. It really isn't that difficult to find things to do if you are willing to put in some effort and willing to grasp that there are things that you don't know about.

Presidential libraries and homes were part of our list also and we have been to quite a few of them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom