How do you lock up your portable generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Posts
5,766
My new Honda 2200W arrives today. I would guess that 90+% of the time I will be around when using it. I'm sure they're very popular amongst the thieves that are out there. Obviously comes down to a cable or chain but but curious how others are locking theirs up when using but not around or overnight. I was thinking supertanker anchor chain but I don't have the GVWR to handle it  ;)
 

SargeW

Site Team
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Posts
8,264
Location
Where ever we park it!
That's a tough call. In various Ca campgrounds, particularly at the beach locations will have signs warning to not EVER leave generators out when not attended due to theft.  Even when chained up, they are being stolen. Even when running they tend to get taken.

I saw one member used a diamond plate tool chest in the bed of the truck, and modified it with vents and fans to accommodate his gen while running when camping.  So it kinda depends on how far you want to go.  Problem is they are easy to carry and resell. 
 

Arch Hoagland

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2014
Posts
4,028
Location
Clovis California
The only theft I've ever seen over the many past years was a portable generator a guy had sitting by his RV.

He didn't have it chained up and it disappeared one night.
 

Back2PA

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Posts
5,766
SargeW said:
So it kinda depends on how far you want to go. 

Not that far. I kinda figured, short of hardened chain and locks (which I may look at) it's just a quick trip to Harbor Freight for a set of bolt cutters and the thousand dollar goody is gone.

In reality, I'm not likely to need to leave it unattended much, if ever. This summer will be upgrading the battery to a pair of 6V which will double my capacity and get me through a couple nights if necessary (or at least one with the furnace). The generator is more of an emergency source than for routine use.

One concern I have is an 12V/120V electric (although low draw) freezer, so if I lost my shore power the generator will be used to replenish the battery. At some point I may put a couple solar panels up.
 

Frank B

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Posts
1,502
Location
Calgary, Alberta
Hardened chain and hardened lock is a good idea. However, if someone wants it bad enough, they WILL take it. A portable battery powered grinder makes short work of any padlock, as I found out when I called a locksmith one time, and watched him do it in less than a minute.


I keep ours in the diamond plate box in the truck bed. If they don't know you have it, they probably won't open the box just to see. And then, in any case, it is with us if we leave in the truck for the day.
 

garyb1st

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2010
Posts
4,120
Location
Southern California
Scott, the only time I'll leave our Honda 2000i unattended is when boon docking with other campers.  Usually someone is around.  Otherwise I put it in a bay.  It's a tug, but at least I know it's safe.  When it's out and in a relatively safe environment, I'll chain it to the motorhome rear ladder.  I also keep it out of sight as much as possible.  Ours is the camouflage color so not as common and well known as the red ones.  I like Sarge's suggestion.  If I had a truck that's what I'd do.  Just make sure it's protected from the elements. 

We've had ours for almost 10 years.  Do the maintenance once a year and it works like a charm.  It's much quieter than the Onan and uses maybe a quarter of the gas so it pays for itself overtime.  One thing you might want to do is use an extension cord rather than plugging it into the RV.  That way you'll bypass the converter and have more power for your appliances.  It will run our microwave when hooked up directly to the 50 amp outlet but the wife thinks the microwave doesn't work quite as well. 
 

Back2PA

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Posts
5,766
Frank B said:
Hardened chain and hardened lock is a good idea. However, if someone wants it bad enough, they WILL take it. A portable battery powered grinder makes short work of any padlock,

Ya, forgot about the grinders. I'll probably get a decent hardened chain just in case I need to leave for a few minutes, but otherwise will put it away.
 

Back2PA

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Posts
5,766
garyb1st said:
Scott, the only time I'll leave our Honda 2000i unattended is when boon docking with other campers.  Usually someone is around.  Otherwise I put it in a bay.  It's a tug, but at least I know it's safe.  When it's out and in a relatively safe environment, I'll chain it to the motorhome rear ladder.  I also keep it out of sight as much as possible.  Ours is the camouflage color so not as common and well known as the red ones.  I like Sarge's suggestion.  If I had a truck that's what I'd do.  Just make sure it's protected from the elements. 

We've had ours for almost 10 years.  Do the maintenance once a year and it works like a charm.  It's much quieter than the Onan and uses maybe a quarter of the gas so it pays for itself overtime.  One thing you might want to do is use an extension cord rather than plugging it into the RV.  That way you'll bypass the converter and have more power for your appliances.  It will run our microwave when hooked up directly to the 50 amp outlet but the wife thinks the microwave doesn't work quite as well.

Thanks Gary. I'm not following re the extension cord idea, running to where?
 

garyb1st

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2010
Posts
4,120
Location
Southern California
Mine is a pretty low tech approach Scott.  ;)  I just run an extension cord through any opening.  If I had the skills, I'd add a dedicated exterior receptacle to the RV and then run a couple of wires to dedicated receptacles in the RV. 
 

Rene T

Site Team
Joined
May 20, 2011
Posts
19,461
Location
Farmington NH
garyb1st said:
One thing you might want to do is use an extension cord rather than plugging it into the RV.  That way you'll bypass the converter and have more power for your appliances.  It will run our microwave when hooked up directly to the 50 amp outlet but the wife thinks the microwave doesn't work quite as well.

Gary, do you mean run a extension cord to each appliance depending on which one you want to use.
Then you talk about hooking it up directly to the 50 Amp outlet. Are you talking about an outlet on the generator?

I have a Yamaha 2200 and it doesn't have the 50 Amp receptacle.
 

Back2PA

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Posts
5,766
garyb1st said:
Mine is a pretty low tech approach Scott.  ;)  I just run an extension cord through any opening.  If I had the skills, I'd add a dedicated exterior receptacle to the RV and then run a couple of wires to dedicated receptacles in the RV.


Ah. I have quite the learning curve ahead, having been used to an 8KW diesel genset
 

jackiemac

Site Team
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Posts
7,304
Location
Scotland
We use a stainless steel cable and got loops added at each end and use a good padlock. Got it made up in a hardware store so much cheaper.

We wrap it around a tree or bench and cover with tarp to protect....
 

Back2PA

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Posts
5,766
jackiemac said:
We use a stainless steel cable and got loops added at each end and use a good padlock. Got it made up in a hardware store so much cheaper.

Probably be in town later today and I look into this at Lowe's
 

garyb1st

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2010
Posts
4,120
Location
Southern California
Rene T said:
Gary, do you mean run a extension cord to each appliance depending on which one you want to use.
Then you talk about hooking it up directly to the 50 Amp outlet. Are you talking about an outlet on the generator?

I have a Yamaha 2200 and it doesn't have the 50 Amp receptacle.

Rene, the 50 Amp receptacle is on the RV, not the Honda.  Don't know about the newer Honda 2200, but our generator only has two 120v receptacles.  I run an extension cord to a 15 to 50 amp dogbone to connect the Honda to the motorhome.  That gives me power to all the motorhome outlets.  But as mentioned, the converter takes a certain amount of power and if I forget to switch the fridge to gas, it also takes power, I have only minimal power to run the power hungry appliances like the microwave and coffee maker.  So, if for whatever reason the Onan doesn't run, and I need more power, then it's an extension cord directly to the appliance. 

 

Rene T

Site Team
Joined
May 20, 2011
Posts
19,461
Location
Farmington NH
garyb1st said:
Rene, the 50 Amp receptacle is on the RV, not the Honda.  Don't know about the newer Honda 2200, but our generator only has two 120v receptacles.  I run an extension cord to a 15 to 50 amp dogbone to connect the Honda to the motorhome.  That gives me power to all the motorhome outlets.  But as mentioned, the converter takes a certain amount of power and if I forget to switch the fridge to gas, it also takes power, I have only minimal power to run the power hungry appliances like the microwave and coffee maker.  So, if for whatever reason the Onan doesn't run, and I need more power, then it's an extension cord directly to the appliance.

So you must have to shut off the 110 Volt breaker going to the converter so it's not running.
 

garyb1st

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2010
Posts
4,120
Location
Southern California
Rene T said:
So you must have to shut off the 110 Volt breaker going to the converter so it's not running.

Haven't thought about that.  I don't have a breaker specifically for the converter so while possible I'm not sure that would work. 
 

RedandSilver

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Posts
1,325
IMO the best thing to do is insure it.

I can't ever see myself stealing someone's generator but I have an electric die grinder and cut-off wheels.
They will go through soft or hard steel with no problems in a short time.

So point is if someone wants it bad enough they will take it.

That's what insurance is for.  Yes a PITA to have to replace it and of course it will happen at the worst time.

I guess if I was in your position and wanted to do something to keep it as safe as possible I might
mount it on a thick plate (probably a used one) big enough to hold the generator and have a truck tire park over it too.

I would be most worried about someone steeling it during the night while I was sleeping. 

It seems really sad that we have to protect our stuff because there are low life's in this world that will take what is not theirs.  :mad:
 

IBTripping

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Posts
1,698
Location
Virginia
Just purchased a 3100 watt inverter generator. Think I might hear the screams of pain from a thief who has an immediate hernia from trying to smash and grab a 100 lb dead weight machine.  ;D ;D ;D However, I plan to carry in the back of my SUV concealed by a black storage bag. With the dark tinted windows, it will be impossible to see what it is. 
 

Forum statistics

Threads
123,879
Posts
1,257,549
Members
129,680
Latest member
CrosbyDave
Top Bottom