How do you make a mint julep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You no longer have time ennough to make one!  Google it.  The long part is the boiling of the sugar and mint, then cooling.  I tried one, didn't care for it, but then I never had one mixed by one who knew what it was supposed to taste like.

Google is your friend.  The very first item on a search on "Mint Julep" is a recipe.

Title: MINT JULEP
  Categories: Beverages
      Yield: 1 servings

4    Mint sprigs
      1 ts Powdered Sugar
      2 ts -Water
  2 1/2 oz Bourbon Whiskey

Servings:  1

~Robbie Shelton

Into a sliver mug or a 12 oz. Tom Collins glass put: the mint,
  powdered sugar, and water.  Fill the glass with shaved ice, add the
  whiskey and stir gently until glass is frosted.  Decorate with slice
  of orange, lemon, pineapple and a cherry.  Insert 5 or 6 sprigs of
  mint on top. Serve with straws.

This recipe is from OLD MR. BOSTON DELUXE BARTENDER'S GUIDE".

This would be the fast way, not traditional.  In the traditional you need to make the syrup.  Then have it on hand,..  I weould guess this would work by 5PM EDT.

Be sure you have the proper head attire. 

Mint Julep.

Make a amount of simple syrup by dissolving 3 part of sugar in 1 part of water. ?Do not over boil.? Use the microwave for this purpose

Then chill an 8 oz or so tumbler in freezer or use the traditional pewter mug same way.

Take 3oz bourbon. ?Sweeten to taste with simple syrup -- start with a teaspoon of syrup.

Insert sprig of fresh mint in glass/mug. ? There is a theological dispute over whether the mint should be bruised. ?Consult your inner being on the matter.

Fill glass/mug about half way with crushed ice.

Add sweetened bourbon. ?

Stir.

Notify designated driver.

Drink.

Too minty or sweet, add more bourbon. ? Too empty, add more sweetened bourbon -- the mint goes for a few rounds before needing replacement.

Regards,

Colonel Carl, LA Branch of the Sons of Bourbon.

PS.? No pineapple, oranges, lemons or even cherries.? ?This is a MINT JULEP not a Mai Tai fer cornsakes!. :mad:

Oh pooo! ?But thanks anyway. ?Doesn't anyone want to know why I need to do this by 5 pm? ?Shucks, I thought this question would start a Derby discussion! ? ;D

I would like to get one of those $1,000 mint juleps they are serving at Churchill. ?Mainly for the gold chalice. ? ;D

I would have to guess you were going to watch the race on TV?  Why else would one do that to good bourbon?

Carl's looks like an experienced version. 

$1000 version, be they sell a ton too,.

OK, here are my Superfecta selections:

Superfecta Selections

1st Place Sweetnorthernsaint

2nd Place Storm Treasure

3rd Place Cause to Believe

4th Place Lawyer Ron

Yeah I know Storm Treasure is a real longshot. ?But he finishes strong and I like high odds.

Now what are your Superfecta selections?

Yes we got the Directv sat all tuned up!  On TV they said they presold 25 of the "grand" mint juleps, and 25 more would be sold today at the downs.  50 lucky drunks aye?  ;D

OMIGAWD!!!!

Has anyone seen the TV ad with the racing sperm cells on the Derby Preview show on ESPN satellite?  I laughed so hard I don't know what they are advertising, but the punch line talks about "your first race" being the most important.  LOL!  I bet they don't show this add on regular TV after 5 pm.  Heheh.  ;D

Well my Superfecta sucked.  ;D

My top pick did the best, but only 6th in a field of 20.  Then I picked the 10th, 11th, and 12th horses.

There goes my dream of making money on the road, as a handicapper, traveling from race track to race track.  ...sigh...

At least I made the best (only) picks on the RV forum  lol!  ;D

The Official Kentucky Derby mint julep is made with Early Times Whisky (Bourbon)  However, the Original authentic Mint Julep called for nothing less than Aged Southern Comfort.

Smoky said:
At least I made the best (only) picks on the RV forum? lol!? ?;D

Sorry to disappoint you Smoky but  the Moab group actually did make picks on the derby and we have two winners.  We gathered to sip  Mint juleps of our choice and made hats to wear at the big race time. Televisions were stationed outside for our viewing!
  Those  willing  put in  one dollar.
  Our horses were assigned to us the by ring leader Marlene Dobrin.
My horse, Keyless Entry lead for quite a bit of the race but faded.  Barbaro  was the horse selected by Wendy and Mike Lawrence.Turns out he was the winner.  Tim and Jan Lynch had Bluegrass Cat, the horse who  placed.
Another among us who chose not to participate would have won third place with his horse.  All had a wonderful time! 
Betty

I was there... FIRST trip in the Coach...
Mint julip BAD ---> Bourbon Good....

Did not win any money on the Derby Race but won ~$180.00 thru out the day.. netted ~$100.00, so paid for the gambling & drinks... & 35 gallons of Desiel..

Attachments

• allcoach.JPG
    allcoach.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Joyjulip.JPG
    Joyjulip.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 7
Betty Brewer said:
Barbaro? was the horse selected by Wendy and Mike Lawrence.Turns out he was the winner.? Tim and Jan Lynch had Bluegrass Cat, the horse who? placed.

And we would have had a great time even if our horse hadn't won.

Too bad no one posted any pictures of the festivities.

Betty:

Were the horses "assigned" or picked by each person?  If picked, congratulations are indeed due to the winners.  It was a tricky pick to make, as the horse had not run in 5 weeks, though being undefeated.

Smoky said:
Betty:

Were the horses "assigned" or picked by each person?  If picked, congratulations are indeed due to the winners.  It was a tricky pick to make, as the horse had not run in 5 weeks, though being undefeated.

Smoky

The numbers were assigned, primarily by site number. Congratulations to Wendy for picking the right site number ;D She even had 50 amp service.

And, of course, I would have picked Barbaro even if I hadn't been in site 8.

Actually, I probably owe the winnings to Peter Jasen since it was originally his site !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom