How do you weigh your RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use my single wheel weigher scale that I bought off ebay about a decade ago for under $100, was new in box with some corrosion and a broken display unit which I replaced for $20, and move it from corner to corner. Mine is the same model shown here Portable Truck Scale Ultra Slim weigh pads (mine does not have the fancy printer, or multi-platform input connections, just a digital LED weight display display with a few buttons)

Last edited:
It's not a standalone app that weighs your rig by itself, all it does is save you from having to walk into the truckstop to get the weight slip. The limitation of a CAT scale is they weigh the entire axle, not each individual wheel position so they assume the weight is centered side to side. RVs are seldom perfectly balanced which means a wheel position can be overloaded even if the total axle weight is within spec. Services like Escapees SmartWeigh use individual scales to give you an accurate weight for each wheel.

Maybe the best way but not generally available. Realistically, RVers need to use local truck business scales (moving companies, sand & gravel, etc) or the scales at truck stops. It's not difficult and the results are entirely adequate for loading & adjusting your RV. RV weights do not have to be pin-point accurate.

Don't wait months or years for an RV-SEF weigh-in for your region - get to a scale now!

Don't wait months or years for an RV-SEF weigh-in for your region - get to a scale now!
While I agree that a truck scale is better than nothing, it is not easy to find one that will let you weigh 1 side at a time, but if they will, you can get the same information. Escapees have individual wheel weights at multiple locations and they are at many RV rallies. The same is true for RV-SEF. If you can find a truck scale that doesn't have anything to prevent it, you can simply weigh all wheels and then go through a second time and center the wheels on one side on each pad to get that side and subtract to get the other. RVs are commonly heavier on one side than the other and loading it can make that much worse. Uneven loading can cause handling problems, uneven tire wear, or even blowouts. Weights by axle only are better than nothing.
It's not difficult and the results are entirely adequate for loading & adjusting your RV.
This is true only if you can weigh both sides, so don't be mislead. Getting individual wheel weights isn't all that difficult if you make it a priority. In addition to the two that I listed there are several others. You should get weights by wheel at the earliest opportunity.

How to Weigh Your RV

Last edited:
Maybe the best way but not generally available. Realistically, RVers need to use local truck business scales (moving companies, sand & gravel, etc) or the scales at truck stops. It's not difficult and the results are entirely adequate for loading & adjusting your RV. RV weights do not have to be pin-point accurate.

I would guess that a relatively small percentage of RV owners ever weigh their rigs. Might be an opportunity for an creative entrepreneur to purchase professional portable scales and offer weighing services at cooperating RV parks. :unsure:

I would guess that a relatively small percentage of RV owners ever weigh their rigs. Might be an opportunity for an creative entrepreneur to purchase professional portable scales and offer weighing services at cooperating RV parks. :unsure:
The Escapees RV Club offers their "Smart Weigh" individual wheel weight service at a number of the club owned parks and various club rallies.

The Escapees RV Club offers their "Smart Weigh" individual wheel weight service at a number of the club owned parks and various club rallies.
Oh that's just great. Yet another of my brilliant ideas for a revolutionary business idea down the drain as someone else already thought of it... :geek::)

If you are in a rural or farm area, consider going to a spot that handles agricultural products. Anyplace that ships out a large number of truckloads of product usually has a scale. When we were on Long Island I used the nicer scrap yards for a scale. Usually these spots will not charge if you don't need a certificate. Now we have a farmer co-op about three miles away and use that. I usually bring some cookies for the staff and we are all smiling as I answer camping questions and they answer crop questions.

Along these lines when we receive our new RV in April🤓🙏. Is it best to fill up all water/gray tanks/black tanks(with water). Then go weigh it. I wouldn’t travel with all that. Maybe some in each. Or drive from dealership to scale weigh trailer by itself and go from there. I am trying not to over complicate this process

thanks

If you are not going to run with full tanks there is no reason to weigh with them full. Chances are that you will know the tank capacities and you can figure the weights from there. Water is about 8 pounds per gallon. Unless boondocking, no need to travel with full tanks, maybe 10 or 15 gallons of fresh for washing and flushing while on the road.

Along these lines when we receive our new RV in April🤓🙏. Is it best to fill up all water/gray tanks/black tanks(with water). Then go weigh it. I wouldn’t travel with all that. Maybe some in each. Or drive from dealership to scale weigh trailer by itself and go from there. I am trying not to over complicate this process

thanks
I weighed at "traveling" weight. Gas full, water about half, fully stocked and all the standard kitchen gear. Also loaded are all the toys in the basements - fishing gear, scuba gear, tools camping gear/stoves etc.

I don't weigh with anything in the grey or black tanks as I always dump before traveling.

I think all up Marvin came in at about 16,500 which is nice compared the advertised 19,500 MGW.

I inherited a Chevy Cobalt recently and ight dolly tow that for a while. Usually I take the motorcycle.

Yet another of my brilliant ideas for a revolutionary business idea down the drain as someone else already thought of it...
Not only do both the Escapees RV Club and also the RV-SEF organizations have portable scales that they take to many RV rallies, shows, and other gatherings, but there are several RV people who do it as well.
Weigh To Go and I believe there are several others.

Well, the CAT Scales are quite adequate for me.
I have not worried much about lateral balance. I am pretty sure that it would be detectable in our Class C, if there is a significant imbalance across the vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom