How does Fifth Wheel affect stuff in bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

analemma77

Just trying to figure out what I can put in the bed of the truck if I have a fifth wheel.  If you have a travel trailer, you can load up the bed assuming the weight isn't too much.  But with a fifth wheel, how does that limit what you can put in the bed of the truck.  Do you have to keep it empty for the trailer to pivot within the bed or can you put a small amount of stuff in the bed, or just load it up all around the hitch?  Thanks

As long as the trailer doesn't hit anything when turning you are golden although anything placed behind the hitch will be hard to access when hooked up.

Within your weight limits, you can load it around the hitch, no higher than the bed rails. Of course ensuring the load doesn't interfere with the trailer

I have a tool box that is bed rail high in front of the hitch, which  is almost as wide as the box, tons of wood an extra tire for the 5er and a gerry can full of fuel 

Pretty much what everyone else said above.  I also bought one of these to make it easier to reach the 5ver hitch latch lever and put the pin in it.  This makes it pretty easy to access that area when the trailer is hooked up, as you would have to be a contortionist to climb in from the back of the truck.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00291AXUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can load the bed up to the hitch rails, but you want to limit the height of what is behind the hitch so there's room for the tongue to pivot.

And you probably want to leave room for the tongue to enter and exit the bed without having to move stuff every time you hitch and unhitch.

Just be careful what you put in the bed of the truck with a 5th wheel.  Light things like aluminum chairs can be sucked out of the bed.  Had it happen once.

I also had some wood pads that I use under my landing gear sucked out of the bed.  They were about 12 inches by 12 inches made from a 12x12 3/4 plywood with two 12 inch 2x6 screwed to the plywood.

lavarock1210 said:
I also had some wood pads that I use under my landing gear sucked out of the bed.  They were about 12 inches by 12 inches made from a 12x12 3/4 plywood with two 12 inch 2x6 screwed to the plywood.

Wow. Exactly how fast were you going?!  ;)

lavarock1210 said:
Just be careful what you put in the bed of the truck with a 5th wheel.  Light things like aluminum chairs can be sucked out of the bed.  Had it happen once.

THIS!  There is some serious wind generated in the bed under the front of that trailer.  I found out the hard way that things get sucked out quite easily.  It seems like the closer to the cab of the truck the less the wind turbulence, but just be careful what you load in there.

Took me a while to get used to NOT packing the truck bed full from when I had the TT. I've adjusted, though. I do keep everything ahead of the hitch. I used to put my cooler and grill behind the hitch but the power cord got stuck on the cooler once in a turn so I now keep that area clear.

Was following a friend home one Sunday morning when a bag of bottles and cans flew out of his bed. Nothing I could do - I just ran over it. Made quite the display when the contents flew out from under the back of my rig!

To quote Scott,  WITHIN YOUR WEIGHT LIMITS, load it up.  Stay below bed rail level.

Air  turbulence with and without the FW are very different.  I lost the bowl out of my GDD toilet last trip.  It was against the cab - usually a very safe place.  Toilet stayed in.  Just the critical catch basin blew out.

grashley said:
To quote Scott,  WITHIN YOUR WEIGHT LIMITS, load it up.  Stay below bed rail level.

Air  turbulence with and without the FW are very different.  I lost the bowl out of my GDD toilet last trip.  It was against the cab - usually a very safe place.  Toilet stayed in.  Just the critical catch basin blew out.

Seems like the "Catch Basin" would be a vital component for a camping trip!    ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom