How early is too early to go out west

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ditto on the flexible schedule, if other factors allow it. The maiden voyage in our current coach was 10,000 miles over 4 months. We'd get up in the morning and toss a coin to decide if we moved on or stayed another night (or more). If the coin toss said move on, we stuck a pin in the map to determine our next stop.

We had only 3 predetermined way points - the RV Forum rally in Moab, our kids' place in the MidWest, and home; No dates associated with them.
That right there is a plot for a reality TV show! Must have been a lot of "adventures" involved in those 4 months-- good and some not so good I assume?

That right there is a plot for a reality TV show! Must have been a lot of "adventures" involved in those 4 months-- good and some not so good I assume?
One example ... the pin stuck at Niagara Falls, and off we went. Received an email from forum staffer Steve Pally, living in Ottawa, who asked us to visit him. We turned up at Steve and Ginette's nice apartment on the 28th floor. Steve got out a map and proceeded to plot a route around the Maritimes, with things to do/see and places to stay. We didn't have an extra 3 months in our schedule, but couldn't offend them, and off we went.

Here's some photos of the Colorado High Country in May and June...

20220521_072557.jpg

Our family's front porch at their home in Woodland Park, Colorado snowed in on May 21, 2022. Elevation approximately 8,500 feet.

camera.jpeg

Our Highway 65 flat summit on top of the Grand Mesa, Colorado. May 3, 2021. Elevation 10,849 feet. CDOT Webcam photo. We had just driven across here the day before.

20210502_155330.jpg20210502_155243.jpg
IMG952423.jpg
1st photo is the frozen Island Lake on top of the Grand Mesa from Highway 65 at around 10,500 feet a couple miles south of the summit. May 2, 2021

2nd and 3rd photos. Highway 65 on top of the Grand Mesa, Colorado at the summit. On May 2, 2021 on 2nd photo. Around the same month in 2019 in 3rd photo. Elevation 10,849 feet. Depth of snow looks like 10 to 15 feet. It's a long flat road on top. Notice that there's no snow melt due to it's still too cold.

Normally it isn't until mid-June that anyone can camp around our home. We have RV's going past our home and they come back down. It must be a disappointment due to our snow is still around.

20200621_111708.jpg

June 21, 2020. Looking up at the Grand Mesa from our home south of Mesa, Colorado. Elevation 6,000 feet. The 11,000 foot 500 square mile flat mountain is still snow covered.

Last edited:
On our last trip to the Midwest, we managed the two major passes heading East on I-70 with only one concern. That was whether or not our rarely used So Cal windshield wipers would work. Fortunately, as we crested the pass heading toward Denver, they managed to clear the snow from the windshield. That was in early May 2021. Not a lot of snow, but we would have been in a world of hurt if those wipers didn't work.

I have been snowed on in May and June in the Grand Canyon and no one can predict the weather for next summer.
I suggest planning out your route and have some contingency plans in case the weather turns bad. There are a few national parks that do not get snow on a regular basis. Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Saguaro, Channel Islands, Redwood, Pinnacles, and Big Basin. I have been to all of them and they are all great. Put those on your map and you will probably have great weather for the entire trip. Of course nature doesn't always cooperate. I lived in Ventura for 40 years and it is located right on the coast of southern California and I have seen snow on the mountains there.SC snow 2.pngSC snow.jpg

I learned how to ski in college at both Holiday Hill (Mountain High Resorts) and at Big Bear during the 1970's pictured on the satellite photo. Even water skied on Big Bear Lake until 1979 which is fed by melting mountain snow. Still have the same powerboat. Snowed skied today living just 6 miles from the ski lift. You gotta love snow and not look at it as something to avoid, but enjoy. You can't avoid snow in both Colorado and Wyoming at high altitude in May and early June. Our average altitude is 6,800 feet in Colorado so everything is at a high elevation where it snows.

Don, could that have been a pic of Miami, OH, rhather than FL? Wikipedia says that Miami, FL got "the only known trace of snow in the greater Miami area of Florida ever reported" and "causing both snow flurries and record low temperatures." reference.com says:
"As of 2014, there are 11 states in America that have a city named Miami. Those 11 states are Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virginia."

That pic looks more like OH, IN, IA, etc.

Went skiing again this morning in Colorado approximately 6 miles from home. It was very deep snow above the boot to my knee on all the runs. There's going to be a lot of water coming down in Spring. I have strong doubts about our campgrounds being accessible for camping in mid-June. Took a photo while skiing.

20230117_102121.jpg

My mistake. That photo was Miami, Manitoba.

I better start reading my own links before posting! I didn't even have the date or country right. I was looking at too many "Miami" photos at once and found the one that looked the worse not realizing it wasn't even Florida.

BTW, it is looking a bit better here this morning, with lots of sunlight, for a nice change. Photo of my Jeep below, just now taken. But more snow is coming on Thursday.

I see I still have my camera set to DST. Photo is really 11:48 PST.

1673985404109.jpeg

Time now corrected. Here is a photo from my Sunroom through the Window showing my ham radio antenna):

1673986929770.jpeg

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Here in Reno, they said we would have a little snow flurry overnight. Here is what that looks like this morning:

View attachment 161042
"Flurry" being a relative term of course. That amount of snow in Upstate NY would qualify as a flurry or "dusting". Around DC it would be major BLIZZARD with breathless news reporters running around with yardsticks measuring snowfall.

Back
Top Bottom