How HIP are you? Can you sing along to any of these Billboard top 10 songs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But the thing I can't figure out is why some people are so polarized as to exactly what is and what isn't country music. There is no real definition since it keeps changing depending on what is hot at the moment. Personally I don't care for pigeon-holing music and giving it a genre. Good music is good music no matter what the genre.
In general I more or less agree with your thoughts, but it is often a lot easier to discuss something other than specific musical works on a "by genre" basis. Often a particular piece of music can be in several genres, just dependent on the artist and band, plus the specific style. My memory is rotten for many things, but there are songs which are country when played/sung by a typically country band/artist, yet they are equally successful if done as bluegrass (a variety of country, of course), jazz or blues. Then that same song may be played as "easy listening" or even by Boston Pops style orchestras. Thus instruments, tempo and other factors affect it's classification for a particular performance.

So yes, good music is good music, and there are some that come out in the rock field or blues field or whatever that, when played in a different style become "good music" even to me.

Still, discussions need some sort of identification to identify something you can talk about, and the "genre" seems to be a way to generalize performance styles, as opposed to the musical piece itself.

So in my mind the reason "why some people are so polarized as to exactly what is and what isn't country music" is to discuss styles of preference (traditional, honky tonk, modern, etc). For example distorted instruments grate on me, as do very ragged voices, both of which seem to occur in performances in the rock style, just as one example. Similar objection to some "blues" material (some is pretty good).

Today's teens may be "hip" but we were "cool". In our days it was hip to be square. IE: hip was not cool.

I can remember who sang most of the late 50s, 60's and early 70's rock and roll songs.
Probably have over 2000 of them. They bring back memories of better times.

Who sang One eyed purple people eater?
The Purple People Eater, The One Eyed, One Horned Flying Purple People Eater was written and sung by Sheb Wooley...

Sheb also starred in Rawhide and had an alter ego named Ben Colder, who did many comedic pieces, including parodies of a number of songs such as Still and Hello Walls. He was fun...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom