How is the length of a 5th wheel measured?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Full Monte

I'm thinking about a 5th wheel, but have a slide-in camper right now.  Is the length of a 5th wheel the overall length, or is it from the hitch to the rear end?  Also, what's the standard width of one?  I need to figure out if I can park one of these in a spot I have picked out.  Thanks!

It's usually stated as the overall length in ads and salesman-speak. It may or may not include the forward extension of the kingpin, but that's only about a foot difference.  The "model size" will actually be the interior usable space, so a Model 28xyz is typically a 30 foot (overall) trailer. Neither one of those numbers is the length that extends behind the tailgate on the truck - that's 4-5 feet less.

The usual width is either 8 ft or 8'6" (widebody).

My 36 foot Bounder is 36 foot from the back of the drivers seat to the rear bumper, It's 40 foot from front bumper to the rear bumper

Odd that the exterior is so long, Mike. My 40 foot coach, also a Fleetwood brand, is 39'10" overall and about 36'6" from the dashboard to the rear wall (inside a wardrobe).  Since mine is a pusher, the cockpit area swivel chairs and a cabinets) are very much a part of the living space, but I don't count the dashboard itself. I suppose the over head cabinets could be considered part of the usable area, though. That would make it a bit over 38'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom