How Long Can I Expect The Propane to Last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gr8pyrs

OK here goes the first question of possibly a few in time.

We will bee boondocking a good bit. Our TH is set up with a 4000W propane Onan.
It has an 8 cu ft fridge and a 15K AC. Roof insulation is R14, tinted windows and shades.

We will need to run the AC a good deal when needed since we will be housing and transporting dogs in the unit.

Lets say it's in the 80's during the day but comfortable to some extent in the evening so no genset at night (also out of courtesy)
I have read all the pros & cons on traveling with the propane "on" but I don't think we will have much choice at time when the heat is up.

Our longest duration that I know of would be about 6 days. Two in transit and 4 in place.
Do you think that the two 30lb will last or will I be looking at a refill?

Russ,

The Onan 3.6kw propane genset will use .4gal/hr or 1.5 lbs/hr with no load, .6gal/hr or 2.4lbs/hr at half load, and .7gal/hr or 3.1 lbs/hr at full load. A Coleman 15k unit is rated at 16A @120 volts, or 1920 watts, or roughly half the available power of the genset. Based on that, you would get about 25 hours of maximum cooling running time of the a/c - 60(lbs)/2.4(lbs/hr)=25 hours). How much time is spent running on max. cooling is dependent on temperature and humidity, so it's not possible to give an exact figure. The fridge will use a relatively small amount of propane, so it isn't worth even figuring it in the calc's. 

Karl,

Thanks! this gives me something to work with.
Unless it was high 80's to 90's (about the max we deal with) for days...... I don't plan on running it that hard.
Most of the time I can keep the "cargo" comfortable enough while on site by dropping the ramp and using the screen and running a couple of fans.

Given that and your calculations, I believe I can make it work on one filling most of the time.

What kind of beasties are they? Look like giant cuddly bears in the pic....also very hairy and in need of that A/C.

Yes hairy,,,,,, :D

They are Great Pyrenees. They can take a good deal of heat as long as you keep the air moving but when the heat & humidity are high it's better for them to get a little AC.

Last year, one of the racing teams brought their Great Pyrenees to Road America for what was the hottest weekend of the year. He had two fans blowing air over large bowls of ice for cooling, and a huge water bowl that could double as a child's wading pool! He was happy as a clam, but smart enough to keep movement to a minimum. I think they said he weighed around 90 lbs - does that sound right?

Ha Ha ..... :D sounds like he was taking care of his "subject".

Yes, 90 pound is a good number. Our males range from 110 to 125 and the girls are around 85 to 95. The hair actually acts as an insulator to heat.
Usually though if you can keep the air (fans) going they will usually be OK. The humidity coupled withhigh heat is what they struggle with.
We usually haul around 6 to 8 of them so the unit will get it's test.
Yes, I'm factoring their weight into the UVW...... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom