How many black water treatment packages should I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chovy

I feel like one isn’t enough. I still see toilet paper when I look down the toilet drain.

I’ve been putting one in every couple of weeks.

I’m also wondering with a 30 gallon black water tank how often I should empty it. Just one person.

The tank sensors always say it’s full or 3/4 full

And you will continue to see TP. The waste tanks in an RV are HOLDING tanks, not septic systems, and while some toilet paper in the black tank may dissolve somewhat if you leave it in there for a while, the tanks are designed just to hold the waste until you can dump them into a proper sewage system.

Most of us don't use ANY treatment packages, just plenty of water.

Empty the gray tank whenever you want, though it may be best to get it over half full, but for the black tank it's best to wait until you are over half full, and 3/4 full is probably better. "How often" is, of course, dependent on how much use it gets, so empty whenever it gets near full. After dumping, put two or three gallons of water in the black tank to aid in keeping things moist for future use.

Original equipment tank sensors generally collect stuff from the contents to the point that they are unreliable as gauges, although some cleaning is possible to occasionally make them work right for a little while. Some add-on sensors, such as the See Level brand don't have that problem.

Treatments are about odor control, not about breaking down waste. Personally i use the Camco liquid citrus scented treatment in individual bottles, as it seems to work better than the dry pods. I only use it because I store my coach in an enclosed metal shed when not in use, and find that it will stink up the shed if I don't use any treatment.

While not real necessary I found the drop in,packets helped reduce odors. I used one after each dump, which for us turned out to be once a week.

I prefer enzymes and not chemical treatments. One scoop of Happy Camper between waste dumps, usually put it on an empty tank and mix with a gallon or two of water. No bad smells, unless you're letting the bathroom fan pull air with the toilet valve open, and that will never smell good, no matter what you do.

I still see toilet paper when I look down the toilet drain.
How much water do you use when you flush? The key to proper working of the RV black tank is generous amounts of water. There is very little that you can put into the tank that will speed up the liquification of what is in there. Even though the skeptics love to harp that RV waste tanks are not septic systems, if you read up on it, septic is a process that naturally happens when circumstances are right and a "septic system" is a designed series of holding tanks that slow things down to allow the natural process to take place. Years ago I stopped wasting money on treatments for things and just went to always using a toilet 1/2 to 2/3 full of water each time that I would flush any solids &/or TP. It is the natural bacteria that are in human feces that when mixed with water will cause things to become liquid by the very same process as takes place in a septic system, but only the early stage because it isn't there long enough for the complete process to take place. Some chemicals destroy the natural bacteria, but most of them today are bacteria friendly and mostly the perfume the waste that is waiting to be dumped. You should also be sure to use a toilet paper that is labeled septic safe as it will break down much more quickly than others.

Well the packs generally do nothing to break up the paper and not much in most cases for the semi-solids Agitation is about the only thing that will do that (Driving).

I did use an emzymatic product which is SUPPOSED to liquify the stuff when "on the road" (Migration trips) but for other 50 weeks of the year.. Just water.

Another vote for Happy Camper. One little scoop between dumps.

How much water? Depends on how much you dislike clearing clogs.

Three tips to break up toilet paper mass that is left even after using lots of water:
  1. Periodically, after flushing, fill bowl at least 3/4 full and then flush it down with a single whoosh. That will help move things around so they will go out when you dump next time.
  2. After dumping your tanks and adding 2-3 gallons of water, stick a metal rod down your toilet and try to stir what remains after dumping. Then proceed to Tip #3. (Do not use a stick that might break off and cause even worse problems in your tank.)
  3. Then find an empty street to "agitate" the stuff in your black tank that did not flush out. It needs to be an empty or isolated road because you need to make several quick stops and do some quick steering moves--turn right suddenly and then left suddenly, step on the brakes hard, and repeat. The idea is to make the stuff slosh around without being arrested for drunk driving or making weird moves that other drivers or the police will notice. Then dump your tank again. Might even rinse tank down with another bucketful of water or by using a flush system.
Then, before putting rig into storage, add another 2-3 gallons of water to keep everything liquid. Leaving a tank to dry out means that whatever did not flush out when you dumped earlier will dry into a solid mass/clog and be difficult to remove in the future.

Once you can no longer see toilet paper in your toilet, ask members of your family and guests to please use less TP.

none.. I use a spray wand inserted down the pan, lots of water to flush contents.
before every trip, I put a five gallon bucket of water mixed with dish soap into the tank.
stops odors and helps to keep solids from sticking..

This is my 4th RV with a black tank,and I quit using chemicals while still using the first one.
On weekend trips, if the tank isnt at least half full,I add water to help flush everything out.
If out for more than a couple days,then wait to dump when it's 3/4 full of more.
Then,before I get on the road I add about 5 gallons of water (fill the bowl 5 times and flush)so there is something to slosh around and move anything that's left. It might sit for weeks or even months before the next use, but I never get any odors from the tank.
My new trailer has a place to hook a hose to clean the tank, but I haven't used it yet,as mosy places I dump do not have a hose with an end on it that will connect.

Do you have a tank flush connection on the outside? If so, when you have full hook ups do some repeated flush cycles. Keep the black tank closed, allow the tank to fill up for a minute or two. Pull the black tank handle and let it run clear. Do this 2-3-4 times and you will be surprised when it's running clear and all of a sudden TP flushes out. ***You have to pay attention or you can over fill your tank and flood your rig.***

Always keep water in the tank and only pull the dump handle when you need to dump. Do not keep the dump handle open all the time.

Another reason not watching the outside tank flush and leaving it running for too long: I had hooked up the black tank flush system and had closed the dump handle so it would partially fill. Then I got involved in chatting with someone----and all of a sudden, I had sewage escaping through the vent on the top of my motorhome and dripping down the side. Oops. Son had to climb on my roof and use a hose to wash down my roof and then the side of my vehicle. He was not happy, and I did not blame him.

Always keep water in the tank and only pull the dump handle when you need to dump. Do not keep the dump handle open all the time.
I keep both mine closed until leaving. No need to open either one when the tanks are large enough. I kept both mine closed for the entire week in ABQ. Then this morning I dumped the black and then the gray in that order.

I took a few showers while in ABQ for the week and still never got my gray tank half full.

-Don- NewKirk, NM

Back
Top Bottom