How many GB USB flash drive do I need to have to do a system backup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvrver

How many GB USB flash drive do I need to have to do a system backup on my W-10 system laptop ?  I'm thinking about 24 GB, will buy 32 to be safe.  Dick nvrver

More Info added: 
I'm not talking about just backing up my files, I'm looking to have recovery of the windows 10 and my HP operating system incase of a computer crash.  I keep a monthly backup of all my user files, downloads & pictures on smaller usb flash drives.  On my previous laptop it required me to use 5 dvds to make up the recovery, and that is how I got to the 24 GM number.

It depends on the size of your hard drive that you want backed up. I use a USB hard drive to stay on the safe side. 1TB USB HDD is about $50 these days.

4 DVDs is about the 24 GB you mentioned, but you can get a 64 GB drive for $20-$25 these days, so why skimp?  Ttry Amazon or Ebay if your local sources are too expensive.

I have a 4 TB USB drive that I use for backups.  There are about 250 gigs on my HD and I do a full backup once a week using Acronis.

cerd said:
It depends on the size of your hard drive that you want backed up. I use a USB hard drive to stay on the safe side. 1TB USB HDD is about $50 these days.

I agree, buy something like this and be done. 

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HDTB410XK3AA-Canvio-Portable-External/dp/B079D359S6/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1539641647&sr=1-2&keywords=backup+drive&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A668383011

You need at least 64GB so you can gave two generations of backup.  And a small one to boot your recovery system from.  Usually 1 or 2 GB is enough.

Unless you have a DVD/CD drive, then write the recovery system to it.

Test it!  You don't need to do an actual recovery but make sure the recovery system recognizes the backup drive and will actually navigate to the file(s).

I use a hard drive dock that does USB and eSATA with 3TB drives to backup all our computers, excluding the Macs.  I keep multiple generations of each backup.

I use both free and paid versions of True Backup from www.majorgeeks.com.  The only time it failed me was because the drive I used was not recognized by the recovery system.  Old computer vs new drive.

For those of you who do backups....have you ever done a restore from those backups?

As 8Muddypaws said...Test it.

As far as I'm concerned if you haven't practiced a restore you haven't backed it up.

Arch Hoagland said:
For those of you who do backups....have you ever done a restore from those backups?

Multiple times. Mainly when upgrading to a larger OS HD with more storage capacity. Been using Macrium Reflect to clone (not just backup) then do a restore to a newer/larger HD.  Never had a single issue.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

It's obviously important to back up data files (hopefully not stored on your OS drive), but having a clone of your operating system can save you a lot of grief in the event of a crash.

Check to see how much space is used on your system drive (usually drive C:) by going to "This PC". This will show how much space is used.

I use Acronis True Image, but Macrium is also good and it's free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom