How Many Mac Users Out There

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike in Texas

I'm a new member and a long time Apple user (1979) and Mac user (1984). I'm curious how many others in the group are Mac users and what you use them for while RVing besides internet access  and email. We have two iBooks (a G3 and a G4) what we take along and am considering taking my new Mac Mini. Do any of you, either Mac or Windows users, access internet via satellite, specifically DirectTV?

There are quite a few of us that use HughesNet (nee DirecWay) for our internet access.  There is at least one Mac user with HughesNet that I'm sure will add his reply when he reads your message.  DirecTV is unrelated to HughesNet for over a year now but many of us use it for our television reception.

Mac user since 1987.
I have several computers on board to satisfy my internet addiction. I have satellite internet connection and just switched to a different sat to get connections while in Alaska.

My on board computers include:
15 in titanium to run OS 9
17 aluminum for OS X
15 in macbook pro to test the new stuff
G5 tower for music storage and TV viewing via el gato eyetv. I evicted the plain old TV and reclaimed it's space for storage.

rhmahoney said:
Mac user since 1987.
I have several computers on board to satisfy my internet addiction. I have satellite internet connection and just switched to a different sat to get connections while in Alaska.

My on board computers include:
15 in titanium to run OS 9
17 aluminum for OS X
15 in macbook pro to test the new stuff
G5 tower for music storage and TV viewing via el gato eyetv. I evicted the plain old TV and reclaimed it's space for storage.

Russ is just another of our technology deprived friends. ;D

Been an Apple user since Steve Jobs gave me one of the original Macs. I stayed with Apple because I wasn't smart enough to deal with the complexity of Microsoft's system. I did use a friend's directway set up for the internet once, but when I am in the RV I have to rely on wifi. If I were a full timer I would certainly get a satellite system.

I've been using macs since 1984. Have a whole office full of them at work. Don't know much about hooking up to the internet while on the road. I'm sure my DW would not appreciate that. I spend enough time on the mac as it is.  :)

I hate to admit it, but I use both a PC and a MAC. The MAC is a 17" G4 Powerbook, which I just love. The PC is a 17" HP Pavilion 8000, which I curse daily--computer is fine, it's WINDOWS I hate. The MAC is used for all my photo cataloging, PhotoShop, and music. The PC for a couple of business related applications that I have to much time invested in to switch, and of course DeLorme TOPO, which is my GPS/mapping program of choice. If I had to mke a choice, there is no choice, it would be the MAC in a heartbeat. It just works--all the time.

Chet18013

One thing all Mac users need is a PC available, either their own or a friends, to bail them out when the Mac won't do what they need to do like several of us witnessed a few weeks ago. ;D ;D ;D  I do have a question. If Windows is so bad and the Mac software is so much better, Why is there such a drive to get Windows or have Windows run on a Mac? ??? ??? ;D

Why is there such a drive to get Windows or have Windows run on a Mac?
Simply because the PC market is much broader, resulting in a greater variety of software available and generally at lower prices too.

Mass market popularity does not imply quality, reliability or any other attribute, with the possible exception of low price.

Wow Ron you had to bring that up ? I was told not to mention that., ?It wan't supposed to have happened. ?HEHEHEHE But I think we know better. ? ?I just didn't have enough nerve to say it.

Chet18013 said:
I hate to admit it, but I use both a PC and a MAC. The MAC is a 17" G4 Powerbook, which I just love. The PC is a 17" HP Pavilion 8000, which I curse daily--computer is fine, it's WINDOWS I hate. The MAC is used for all my photo cataloging, PhotoShop, and music. The PC for a couple of business related applications that I have to much time invested in to switch, and of course DeLorme TOPO, which is my GPS/mapping program of choice. If I had to mke a choice, there is no choice, it would be the MAC in a heartbeat. It just works--all the time.

Chet18013

Now that mac's can run windows, one machine can do it all.

Shayne said:
Wow Ron you had to bring that up ? I was told not to mention that., ?It wan't supposed to have happened. ?HEHEHEHE But I think we know better. ? ?I just didn't have enough nerve to say it.

Maybe the devil made me do it. ;D ;D ;)

As Joy of Tech had in a comic the other day, "It's black, it's Intel inside, and it runs Windows.? Congrats Apple, you're selling a Dell!

Shucks I don't know what I got then, Cause the only intel I got is on the laptop, which I don't like.  I use the desktop whenever I possibly can and it's got AMD in it and I love it.  Just recently bought the Grandson a Laptop with AMD in a HP , now he says their Dell with  Intel is junk.  But that's young kids way of thinking and talking.  I personally am just thankful I can use any of them.  Just chimed in cause I thought Ron's statement was quite funny.  My hat is off to you talented computer operaters and I am just amazed as to the knowledge of these things by all of you.

Using windows is like the frog in a pan of cool water that you gradually heat up. he adapts and does not notice the heat, thus dies. That is what has happened to windows with over 100,000 viruses etc, and you still say "no problem".

rhmahoney said:
Using windows is like the frog in a pan of cool water that you gradually heat up. he adapts and does not notice the heat, thus dies. That is what has happened to windows with over 100,000 viruses etc, and you still say "no problem".

Then why the big push to have Windows run on the Mac if it is soooo bad.  Course I read where the MAC OS is getting more viruses now too.  They just have some catchup to do. ;D  It is a very good thing that PC are around to bail out the Mac users when needed. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

rhmahoney said:

Hmmmm. Are you saying that Windows is dying? ???? ;D ?"Poor" Bill -- he could lose his home and everything.

Russ, it's a matter of market share -- and compatibility with the rest of the world. Apple would not build a machine compatible with the rest of the world -- neither would Radio Shack. Due primarily to clever marketing and advertising Apple is still surviving, whereas RS threw in the towel long ago. IBM introduced the 1st open architecture machine many years ago -- and allowed anyone to buy parts and build one like it. Actually, the only reason they did that is because Apple and RS had done a much better job of predicting the use of a home computer. So the 1st IBM micro computer had no parts whatsoever manufactured by IBM. Even the IBM case and logo was made by some other outfit. The operating system contract for that machine, of course, was won by a clever and rather devious young fellow by the name of Bill. ?:mad: :)

Anyway, as a result of that 1st IBM machine -- I can now go to Fry's and buy a bunch of parts and build my own computer whenever I need a new one, OR, need a hardware update for a part in an older one. This results in much lower hardware costs for me on machines w/parts at least equal to any Apple component.
?
Yes, we have viruses. As with all software, that's a market share thing too. The last I read, Apples share of US market was less than 3.0% -- actually down from when Jobs came back in '96. It was as high as 15% back in '80, but after Jobs left, the clever advertising left as well.

So, with 3.0% of the market share, virus programmers have equally as much interest in that market. More importantly, so does everyone else in the computer arena. I develop reservation SW for RV parks. Why would I develop an Apple product when only 3.0% of RV parks would ever consider it?. And that's the case with most other programmers and new SW development.

When teaching at a local JC in Sacramento, there were 52 sections of their "Intro to Computers" class using Windows based machines -- there were 2 classes on the Apple. If you go to the book store, you will find the same number of Apple books as their market share demonstrates. If you go to Fry's or any major computer store, you find the little section of Apple stuff vs. the main section of Windows based stuff. When you ask a neighbor for some help, 3.0% can help you. If you borrow some SW, only 3.0% can help you.

Have read recently that the only reason Apple manages to hang on is because of iPod sales. ?Apple has over 50% of that market. The machine "will" allow a format compatible with the MS side of the market, so MS users such as myself are OK buying them. Seems Apple finally learned that lesson. Creative "is" catching back up, and has also sued Apple -- so that will be interesting to watch as Apple counter sued as well.

Take care, Russ . . . ?:)

Bob Buchanan said:
Hmmmm. Are you saying that Windows is dying? ???? ;D ?"Poor" Bill -- he could lose his home and everything.

Have read recently that the only reason Apple manages to hang on is because of iPod sales. ?Apple has over 50% of that market. The machine "will" allow a format compatible with the MS side of the market, so MS users such as myself are OK buying them. Seems Apple finally learned that lesson. Creative "is" catching back up, and has also sued Apple -- so that will be interesting to watch as Apple counter sued as well.

Take care, Russ . . . ?:)

Steve Jobs has said on numerous occassions that Apple is not a software company. That wasn't planned but when his predessor John Scully sold MS the rights -it became a nescessity to find another niche and unique hardware adoptions like their machines and then iPOD hit the mark.   

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom