How many smoke/CO detectors does your RV have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 smoke detectors and 1 LP gas detector. I just replaced my LP gas detector a month ago because the old one starting giving erroneous alarms. The new one is dated March 2017 and "Replace Every 60 Months" is stated on the LP detectors.

I've been using MTI Industries 35-742-BL for almost 2 years and never have we had a false alarm in the middle of the night. Works exactly what I wanted.

I replaced my CO alarm with a combo CO and propane alarm and since it doesn't matter for CO and it does for propane I mounted it down by the floor. There is a separate smoke detector / "Dinner Bell" mounted on the ceiling.

When I bought my 2008 trailer in late 2019 I replaced the original surface mount 12v DC powered LP detector (it had aged out) with a flush mount MTI 35-742-BR (White = WT, Brown = BR, and Black = BL) combination LP/CO detector. The surface mount one was mounted where people had been sitting in the dinette and hanging their heel on it and ripping it out of the wood. I installed the flush mount as it looks much better and is not protruding out in the way.

https://www.mtiindustries.com/product/35-series-flush-mount/

35-742-BR.jpg

My smoke detector was a battery powered First Alert unit, mounted on the ceiling. I replaced it with a an exact looking (and same mount bracket) First Alert SCO5CN Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector.

First Alert battery powered combination smoke and CO detector.

51K3GFIsb8L._AC_SL400_.jpg

My trailer is small and there is no need for more than one unit. In something like the OP describes, I highly suggest two of the First Alert units like I installed. Warning, in high humidity conditions, the detector will set itself off. It is designed for dry or conditioned air environments.

Charles

Attachments

• New Safe T Alert LP-CO detector.jpg
    New Safe T Alert LP-CO detector.jpg
    860.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Removed LP gas detector.jpg
    Removed LP gas detector.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Originally my rig had a propane detector in the galley and a CO detector in the stateroom. When the CO detector aged out(middle of the night, no heater or generator running)I bought a combo pack that came with a CO detector and a smoke detector. CO detector installed in the same place as the old one, smoke detector went in the hall between the galley and the head, right where smoke from the stove can most easily reach it.

In our first trailer making toast or cooking always set off the smoke alarm. There wasn't enough room to move it to where it would't fire off when it "saw" you cooking or toasting. I slipped a vinyl glove over the smoke detector before cooking or making toast. It then would not go off at all. With the glove fingers hanging down we would never forget to remove it after cooking.

As stated above CO, being just slightly lighter than air, spreads from floor to ceiling rather rapidly. Most RV manufactures use a combination propane/CO detector mounted close to the floor due to propane gas being heavier than air and CO will get to the floor as well as to the ceiling. That meets code. Various CO detector instructions call out various locations for the detectors...most on a wall, some close to the ceiling and others at mid wall. We have the near the floor hard wired OME propane/CO combo detector. I added a battery CO detector just outside the bedroom a foot down from the ceiling on the wall....works for me.

2 smoke & 1 CO/LP combo. 2 fire extinguishers. 1 mounted near entry door and one in the master bed. Replaced all when I bought the RV & plan to replace every 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom