How many use deisel additives and how frequently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Automotive chemicals is a huge industry that thrives on questionable claims and marketing. Consumers have been enthralled with "snake oil" as long as history....

Having said that, there is some validity to keeping an anti-microbial in a diesel tank may keep algae from taking over the fuel tank. Keeping it full during storage will cut down on condensation, keeping water out of the tank and discourage algae growth.

The best thing that one can do for a diesel engine is to service the injector pump and injectors at the factory recommended interval. Also get your engine oil analyzed yearly. I used to get the oil analyzed on my dual engine power boat before every oil change.

Gary,
I suppose this discussion could go on forever without reaching a consensus. Different strokes for different folks. As far as fuel at the pump is concerned, yes, they are supposed to add lubrication but, it depends on where it comes from and how it got there. I am sad to say that I don't have faith that everything is copacetic at the pump. I just spent $384 plus labor for a new injector for a CAT 3126 with 54,000 miles on it. I readily admit that I got off light and there are many variables to cause an injector failure. That said, it isn't whether to use a additive for me, it's a question of which one.
Years ago I ran diesels in charter boats for a bazillion hours, no additives, no problems (except algae) but that was many years ago.
Thanks for the comment. I have gotten many useful tips from this forum, too many to mention. Look for many more.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The refineries already add lubricants to ULSD fuel to replace the sulfur. The fuel at the pump meets the ASTM lubricity spec for diesel fuel.

The lubricity spec is for post 2007 engines, for those of us who run pre 2007 engines those specs aren't necessarily adequate.

I quite willingly add the recommended (according to the instructions on the bottle) amount of either Stanodyne or Power Service additive if for no other reason than to have a little more confidence that I might not have to have somebody tear into a 1998 Cat 3126 any sooner than they have to.  The problem that I run into down here in Texas is the 5% bio-diesel blend that is EVERYWHERE!!  It runs fine but before we take off for the great white north in a few weeks I will have to change both of my fuel filters simply because they're going to be clogged enough that when I put a load on the truck it will starve for fuel simply because of all the little critters that have plugged up my primary fuel filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcclaid
Back
Top Bottom