How much fuel does a genset use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bravefoot

I have an Onan 5500 watts gasoline model generator and was wondering how much gas it uses in a hour.? Anybody got any rule of thumbs?

bravefoot said:
I have an Onan 5500 watts gasoline model generator and was wondering how much gas it uses in a hour.? Anybody got any rule of thumbs?

The Onan booklet has it in detail. I believe it will be NolLoad .3g/hr; 1/2 Load .6 gal/hr; and Full Load .9 gal/hr

The average number I've seen repeatedly around here is 1/2 gallon per hour.  A little less in many cases.  I think that's why many folks run the generator and roof A/C while driving, rather than the dash A/C which allegedly requires more power + fuel from the engine and cools a much smaller area.

I think that's why many folks run the generator and roof A/C while driving, rather than the dash A/C which allegedly requires more power + fuel from the engine and cools a much smaller area.

scottydl- Thanks!? That is very interesting!? ?Can anybody confirm or dispel this?

bravefoot said:
scottydl- Thanks!  That is very interesting!  Can anybody confirm or dispel this?

Let me add that I'm no pro, it's just what I've read around here.  There are entire threads discussing that topic alone... check out the Search feature and I'm sure you'll find them.

bravefoot said:
I think that's why many folks run the generator and roof A/C while driving, rather than the dash A/C which allegedly requires more power + fuel from the engine and cools a much smaller area.

scottydl- Thanks!? That is very interesting!? ?Can anybody confirm or dispel this?

Yes , it was true for my last motorhome. Have not tried to calculate it for my newest. However, I really don't care since its about a standoff though slightly in favor of Genset and most importantly
it is very valuable way to exercise genset which needs to be done frequently anyway to avoid problems.

Back
Top Bottom