How much soda/pop is too much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi,

Every month i go through  3 (case of 32) and 1 (case of 24) bottles of water.  But i also go through 8 (12packs) of coke zero as well.  I never realized i drank that much soda.  Even though there is nothing in it other than alittle salt, that seems like alot of soda for just me.

If you want to have a healthy old age, I would suggest weaning yourself off all soda.  It isn't good for your bones for one thing - not to mention a whole host of other effects on the pancreas, kidneys, esophagus, diabetes, etc.  I'm glad I don't really like the stuff because I'm not tempted even a little bit.  You're a lot better off with plain old fashioned water!  Just my two cents worth!

Google something like Is Soda Bad for Me? or What Does Soda Do To My Body?  You might be surprised at just how bad it is for the human body.

ArdraF

Thanks so much i will google it...  For many years (like 20) i didnt drink it because i just didnt want to and i lost weight when i stopped.  But then they came out with coke zero (no guilt) and i was so tempted i got hooked on it again.  I guess thats what they wanted all along is to get me hooked again.

I think this will probably start an argument, but it's not intended to that. One major ingredient in sodas is high fructose corn syrup. The industry says it's the same as sugar, but it's been proven that HFCS does not digest like sugar and can cause high trigylcerides. Either way one looks at it, anything in excess is not good for you. All things in moderation. If sodas are an addiction, it's best to just stay away from them. I haven't hardly drank any sodas in a few years now, and can't hardly stand the them. Every once in a while I will take a sip of my wife's, and it tastes nasty. The only other time I drink a soda is about twice a year, I will drink an ice cold Dr. Pepper from a can.

Coke Zero, now Coke Zero sugar
INGREDIENTS
CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, ASPARTAME, POTASSIUM BENZOATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, POTASSIUM CITRATE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CAFFEINE.

Aspartame and Acesulfame Potassium are both artificial sweetners.

Aspartame.  recommends a maximum consumption of something like 120 cans a day. Not sure of the limit on Ace-K

Many people are now talking that ALL "Diet" sodas are bad for hou. OH and Carbonated water - Carbonic  Acid. also not that great less you are trying to clean bugs off a windshield.

I gave up on Soda's some years back. Don't miss 'em at all. Now just drink water coffee and tea.

Water is not bottled. but is filtered first by an activated charcoal "Whole house" filter than through a PUR filter in the fridge.  Ice is also made from the PUR.  Used to use a Britta but it broke so I switched to what the Thrift store I worked at for a while had in stock,,, A Pur.

The stuff i read tends to tar all types of sodas with the same brush, and that is terribly inaccurate.  The anti-soda gang doesn't like any of them and generally says anything other than water is gonna kill you.  However, chemical content differs widely with the type of sweetener used, flavorings, etc., so the negative effects often cited may or may not apply.

Coke Zero uses aspartame as the sweetener. That' the same ingredient as in NutraSweet and Equal. The FDA says that adults should not exceed 50 mg os aspartame per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of body weight. A typical can of diet soda contains about 185 mg of aspartame, so a 150 lb person could consume up to about 18 cans/day. The EFSA suggests a lower limit, 40 mg/kg or about 15 cans of aspartane-based diet soda per days.    You are consuming an average of 3 cans of Coke ero per day, so I'll leave it for you to decide.

I would encourage you not to get too focused on any one ingredient, or any one source. Consider your overall diet and the amounts, types, and times you consume foods and beverages.

By the way, if you want to stay pure, that bottled water you are consuming contains some extra chemicals too. Most have 2-4 salts of various types, e.g. calcium chloride, potassium chloride, and magnesium sulfate. Before you get too upset about that, natural ground water usually contains several minerals and salts as well.  "Pure" water is a rarity, whether in nature or municipal water supplies.

I almost never drink pop.  Once in a great while, when I'm out and about.  I never keep it at the house.

I mostly drink tap (well) water.  Some coffee in the morning.

Beer is another story. ;D

Six cans of anything (other than water) does seem to be a bit much, but I suppose that the Zero or Diet is better than the 'regular' kind. Still, I'd want to wean myself off of anything that I was consuming that much of; the whole 'all things in moderation' deal...

For instance, I have slowly cut my single serving of ice cream from 1/2 gallon to just a pint.

:)

Water can be an acquired taste. For years I would drink a single cup of coffee in the morning, a Coke Classic at lunch, (I've always hated the taste of artificial sweeteners in soda) and a glass of milk at dinner. An occasional beer or glass of wine in the evening, never more than one. I hardly ever drank plain water. I didn't dislike water, but it just didn't have the appeal of flavored beverages.
In my 50s I recognized that my metabolism was slowing and I needed to cut some calories. That's when I started replacing the soda and milk with water.
Like a reformed smoker who can't stand the smell of cigarettes, after a while, I began to dislike the taste of sodas of all types and to really like the taste of water. I still love milk, but now drink it only occasionally. It's more of a "treat" and no longer a staple of my diet. I also drink more tea, hot or iced, either unsweetened or barely sweetened and very dilute. (Yeah, that's weird, but it's how I like it.) And I still savor that solitary morning cup of Joe.
I avoid bottled water as much as possible for environmental, economic, and health reasons. I carry a well-insulated water bottle wherever I go, and fill it from a Brita pitcher we keep in the RV's fridge or from our house fridge's filtered water dispenser.

I have a 2 liter bottle of ginger ale in the fridge, it will probably last me a week as I seldom drink soda. I used to like Coke but don't miss it. Water or the occasional beer for refreshment now.
My sil is addicted to sweet drinks, he never went anywhere without a 2 liter bottle and his girth shows it. He finally got off Pepsi on doctor's orders, he is diabetic which is no surprise, but now is hooked on Stevia sweetened drinks which he is convinced are better for him. 

When we go camping, I try not to drink soda at all. It makes me feel like crap in the heat. I try to only drink water and I bring a can of gatorade powder to mix with the water when I need something sweeter to drink. I will only drink a bottle of soda while traveling. Once we are there, I avoid it like the plague. My wife drinks a lot of soda and is also finally realizing how much better she feels when she only drinks water while out.

There are some decent artificially-flavored teas/ lemonades and other flavors out there.  If you are diabetic,they are certainly safer than refined sugars or HFCS.  Your choice there. 

I'm usually not a big fan of water,turns my stomach sometimes.  Much easier to drink it with a splash of juice than plain,imo.

Try switching one soda for water,increasing that every week. 

My drink of choice is black coffee, but I do like a Diet Coke once in awhile on a hot day. Then again, in a few years all sodas may be deemed good for us. It wasn't too long ago that coffee was supposed to be bad for us, and then the researchers started finding all sorts of good things it does for our bodies. Maybe soda will be next, followed by burnt bacon and cigarettes... ;)

I'm another water drinker, usually 7 or 8 large 16 oz glasses a day, but I am NOT a fan of bottled water because of the plastic bottle. I carry a metal container with me when I leave the house. I just don't like the taste of the plastic and I don't like putting the bottle in the trash.  I was hooked on diet green tea, but it yellowed my teeth so badly I had to have them whitened. . . back to water!!!

The other day when it was 108 here and felt like 111 i drank 16 bottles of water out of a 32 pack.  And im broke and out of soda so maybe thats a good thing lol
I dont enjoy filling the world with plastic bottles either but this was a used RV and who knows what they had in the water tank before me. 

I have also heard that tea can damage your kidneys and bladder, but not sure why.

Dave, aren't you in a campground. If you are why not drink their water. If you're concerned about a dirty water system in your RV, just sanitize it.

Rene T said:
Dave, aren't you in a campground. If you are why not drink their water. If you're concerned about a dirty water system in your RV, just sanitize it.

I dont ever use the water connection on the RV, well i did my first couple of stops on the road but never when i am parked full time.  The reason is that if there is a leak while i am gone (if i forget to turn off the water) then it will leak everywhere. Also the hose gets hot filled with water and it will bust it.  I have always used the tank and the pump because once i turn off the pump it cant leak, plus if there is a leak i will know about it because the pump will come on when im not useing  the water. 

Back
Top Bottom