how much trailer should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerW

I have a F-150 4x4 automatic with HD suspension and the 4.6 triton V8. The specs say I should be able to tow 6600 lbs. If I discount that 10% then I should look for a trailer in the range of 4-5k lbs. to allow for loading, correct? I tow up and down some hillls but no mountains. I live in Mo. and usually camp within three to four hours of home right now. Iy is used for weekends right now and possibly vacation next year

Am I off base? I really want to get a decent size trailer with a decent sized bathroom and a bed that stays put.

Opinions? I really value the input from this forum and I am actively looking so any help would be much appreciated

Thanks, Roger  Smiley

F150's are good trucks and for a light duty truck they do good, but honestly, if the trailer is over 4500 Lbs, that 1% grade will feel like a mountain, especially with the small V8. To be more accurate in what you can tow, load your truck up as you would when traveling (people, cloths, etc) and have it weighed. Next subtract that from your GCWR, then at a minimum, subtract another 10%. The number left is what you want - maximum trailer weight wise.

Larry

Thanks Larry, there is a scale right near me. Should I deduct 10% from the GCVWR or the GCWR of the trailer?

If I discount that 10% then I should look for a trailer in the range of 4-5k lbs. to allow for loading, correct? I tow up and down some hillls but no mountains. I live in Mo. and usually camp within three to four hours of home right now. Iy is used for weekends right now and possibly vacation next year

If that rating is 6600 lbs, then buy a trailer that has a GVWR of 5940 or less.  If your vacation takes you to Wyoming, Colorado, or such mountain states, make that GVWR 5280 lbs.    Use the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the trailer, dry weight is a bit problematic depending as it does on extra goodies like awnings, not included by the mfr.  GVWR which is dry + payload is a safer number and it is a bit more real.  Of course, if you have a scaled weight as loaded for travel, that is best.

I once owned a 25' Komfort ( no slide-out, but had a pair of bunks for the kids), my Dodge Ram 1500 pulled it without any problem up and down the Cascades, through Yellowstone, our costal mountains (Oregon). Just don't short yourself to much, you'll regrett it.

RogerW said:
Thanks Carl, that sure doesn't leave many trailer options does it

No, you want options you buy a medium duty truck.  However, you can find things in your range.  l tow a 23' Prowler with a truck that has a 6600 lb tow rating.  Been doing it for 10 years and 60,000 miles.

Cabbie said:
I once owned a 25' Komfort ( no slide-out, but had a pair of bunks for the kids), my Dodge Ram 1500 pulled it without any problem up and down the Cascades, through Yellowstone, our costal mountains (Oregon). Just don't short yourself to much, you'll regrett it.

Cabbie, what was your truck rated for and what was your trailer weight?

Thanks

Carl Lundquist said:
No, you want options you buy a medium duty truck.  However, you can find things in your range.  l tow a 23' Prowler with a truck that has a 6600 lb tow rating.  Been doing it for 10 years and 60,000 miles.

I have kinda fallen in love with a 27 ft outback that weighs 5840 dry. I guess that will be an unrequited love...lol

RogerW said:
I have kinda fallen in love with a 27 ft outback that weighs 5840 dry. I guess that will be an unrequited love...lol

Yeah, you would have to bring a larger truck to that marriage.  :)

I wish I could tell you the spec's but that was to many years back. I can't even remember what year my RAM was, but I can tell you where I was working. Maybe the mind is the first to go.

Looking at the Komfort website, the 231T is the closest thing to it currently. Ours was a 25TB and I beleive it was a year 2000. Anyway here's the specs on the 231T.

Komfort TT 2006 Models 231T
Length 26' 3"
Width 8' 3"
Height* 10' 3"
GAWR (lbs) 7000
GVWR-Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7820
UVW-Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5460
CCC- Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1832
Hitch Weight (lbs) 820
LPG/110v ?DSI? Water Heater (gal) 6
Fresh Water Capacity (gal) 56
Grey Water Tank (gal) 45