how much TT should I buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerW

I have a F-150 4x4 automatic with HD suspension and the 4.6 triton V8. The specs say I should be able to tow 6600 lbs. If I discount that 10% then I should look for a trailer in the range of 4-5k lbs. to allow for loading, correct? I tow up and down some hillls but no mountains. I live in Mo. and usually camp within three to four hours of home right now.

Am I off base? I really want to get a decent size trailer with a decent sized bathroom and a bed that stays put.

Opinions?

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I'd say you are OK up to around 5500 lbs, based on your numbers. But the 4.6L doesn't havea lot of reserve power, so don't expect great perfromance on even small grades.  With a gas engine, engne displacement (liters or cubic inches) is the key factor for towing power.

RogerW

thanks Gary, would that be actual trailer weight you are suggesting?

Thanks

Roger

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
would that be actual trailer weight you are suggesting?

Well, you said a 6600 lb rating and knocking 10% off that leaves 5940 lbs. I knocked off another 450 lbs for pasengers and gear in the truck, leaving you a 5500 lb max.  I'd try to go lighter if I could because of the small 4.6L displacement, which does not have a lot of "grunt".  Whether you can actually tow that much will then depend on the tongue (or kingpin) weight of the trailer as well - you need to make sure you can carry that and stay within the truck's GVWR and rear axle GAWR. Are you looking at fifth wheels or conventional travel trailers?

You need to look further at the Ford Towing Guide for your specific truck and get all the relevent numbers before you can decide. Sorry - there is no shortcut to doing this safely - ya gota do the arithmetic.  :-\

RogerW

thanks Gary, 5500 is where I had set my benchmark. I appreciate your input

Top Bottom