How much will you pay for a watch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL - I'm retired - I'll pay nothing for a watch. And, if someone gave me one I'd never wear it... I already lost my tan lines...

I have a casio I got in the late '80's. It's well worn and scratched, been through a number of bands. When it fades out I put a battery in and off it goes. Kind of neat I've managed to not lose or destroy it after all this time.

Also have an Elgin pocket watch circa 1870. It stopped running and have inquired at a few places of getting it fixed. No one will take it, seems anyone left that fixes watches have enough jobs to last them the rest of their lives. Must be like RV repair techs, few are taking up the profession and even fewer good at it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

$7.00 is a lot of money for some people

No it’s not. Not here in America. It buys some food or a double fist of malt liquor and virtually nothing in drugs. Maybe two gallons of gas if you’re lucky.

I wear a $300-$400 Citizen solar watch. It was given to me by my employer.

At that company I worked with a guy who flew to France and back over a weekend to buy a $60K watch. It was not the first time he had done such a trip.

weird!

Apple makes a watch that sold for $129 or $149 on Black Friday. My DW has an Apple Watch. She's a slave to the dang thing.

I bought three watches this summer. One for each of our grade school grandkids.

I did not buy them especially for the kids. I bought them for their parents and all the rest of us that love those kids.

The watches have several features like GPS tracking, one button touch to call Mom, Dad, or anyone on their list.

After all the crazy stull like Uvalde, I feel that they are a little safer or at least they have some options.

Timex Indiglo digital watch has served me well for the past ~12 years. My hearing aids tell me when my cell phone rings, and my scales tell me when I need to exercise more, so no fancy watch needed here.
Yep, a Timex Indiglo digital is what I have as well. Being able to read the time in the dark is an absolute necessity!

To answer the question in the subject line $14.95 and since the watch is set by the national bureau of standards it keeps excellent time .. alas MFJ discontinued this model.

Also have an Elgin pocket watch circa 1870. It stopped running and have inquired at a few places of getting it fixed.
Ever stop and think about how did they know what time it was in order to set their pocket watches. Did everyone have a sundial in their backyard. 🤨🤨

Last edited:
Ever stop and think about how did they know what time it was in order to set their pocket watches. Did everyone have a sundial in their backyard. 🤨🤨
Yep- clocks in the house or railroad station, or railroad timetables in the latter part of the 19th century, but you don't need a sundial to see when the sun's shadow is longest (noon) from a stick stuck in the ground. Few people worried about the actual time before the railroad's schedules caused the establishment of time zones and clock dependency. In point of fact, many could approximate the clock time from reading the starts or sun position in those days.

I built a watch collection this year. I bought about 30 watches between $15 and $35 each. They all have identical movements in them. The movement is quartz and keeps virtually perfect time. You can tell they all have the same movement due to the four buttons on the side of the watch. I also have a 50 year old diving watch that I never wear and a 40 year old watch I got on the tenth year at McNamee electric. I also have a really old watch my dad used to wear. I wear a watch for about a week or so and then I switch to a different one.

I started collecting watches when I had an accident and fell at home. I decided I needed a watch that could connect to my phone so I could call for help if I ever fell again. I bought an expensive Garmin but I hated it. I had to remove it and recharge it on a daily basis. Then I discovered I could not really call anyone from an Android watch, I would probably need an iPhone watch, and that ain't gonna happen.Watch collection.jpg

While working would be lost without my casio calculator watch 24/7/365. Finally died bought another casio about year before retirement (17$) now it sits in the bathroom drawer with its 10 year battery.

I as well like my Timex indego, replace batteries from ebay, and bands as needed. My kids like there Apple products, it is a status thing. What I dislike is, one of my kids I can text, she sees it on her watch, then forgets to respond later. grrr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom