How people get in trouble blamed on their GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any place that gets a large amount of snow that isn't used to it and therefore doesn't have the equipment to deal with it is liable to leave you stranded. Look at Atlanta when they get any amount of snow. It doesn't take much snow, or ice, for a major road to be closed south of I-40. And if the major roads are closed, then the secondary roads are closed as well. But if you are in a camper, then you should have basic supplies laid in (water to flush and drink, simple "pantry supply" meals to make) along with heat to get you thru a couple of nights in relative comfort.

I tend to agree, what is the point in owning an RV if you don't have a few days worth of food and supplies in it at all times. Sure right now during winter storage the food options in mine is probably limited, consists of some canned goods, rice, maybe some dried beans and pasta, instant mac and cheese along with a few other odds and ends, oatmeal, maybe some crackers, along with a few long shelf life items in the refrigerator (mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, etc.), maybe even a couple of things that are still edible in the freeze.

I tend to agree, what is the point in owning an RV if you don't have a few days worth of food and supplies in it at all times. Sure right now during winter storage the food options in mine is probably limited, consists of some canned goods, rice, maybe some dried beans and pasta, instant mac and cheese along with a few other odds and ends, oatmeal, maybe some crackers, along with a few long shelf life items in the refrigerator (mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, etc.), maybe even a couple of things that are still edible in the freeze.
I let my food supplies dwindle on my trip back to Arkansas with the intention of defrosting the freezer tomorrow so that I can stock up on the venison my kid has for me. My granddaughter had her first hunt this year and bagged 2 bucks within the first 30 minutes on the stand. I see lots of venison chili, steaks, and stew in my future menus.
My favorite thing to do is to take a big crock pot full of chili to an RV park pot luck and let people know, after they've eaten, that it was venison.

When our local Search and Rescue team's GPS failed earlier this year due to the cold it saved a woman and her dog...

Three crews of Mesa County Search and Rescue were told the search was over and it was time to ride their snowmobiles back to the trail head and call it a night.
As luck would have it, a bizarre circumstance saved this woman and her dog, when a second search and rescue crew became stranded in another area.
“The only reason that team was out there at that time was because the other team had mechanical issues,” said Megan Terlecky, Mesa County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson said.
Rob Martindale and Quint Shear headed back out to help their stranded team members.
The bone-chilling temperatures forced the pair to stop a couple of times to warm their electronics and GPS units.
“We pulled into this meadow and turned our machines off to get our bearings.”
Then it happened — a voice.
“I looked at Quint and he looked at me and I said ‘did you hear that?’ ”
Quint said yes and the rest of the story makes this a happy story.
“Then we heard it again, we heard a voice, then she came walking out. It was a colossal bit of great luck,” Martindale said.

We keep a couple weeks worth of food in the RV, and every major season change, we take new stuff out, and bring in the stuff that has been in there, so we have relatively fresh food in the RV all the time.
Stale crackers don't taste good just because you stranded somewhere.

I-80 is closed once again out in the remote stretches of Wyoming which is nearly all of it. It's a mess with truck accidents near Rawlins and Elk Mountain. Be careful with trusting any rerouting through Colorado due to the high temperatures are subzero Fahrenheit. We have a winter weather advisory through Monday in my Northwestern Colorado neck of the woods.

The Stolpa incident happened when my wife & lived in SF. Always remember that when thinking about finding a shortcut.

The other side to GPS / Google maps questions are where they tell you to turn where there is not even a road. I experienced this recently with googlemaps directing me to my nephews new house just a few miles from where I live, instead of directing me to turn onto the small dirt road where he lives (only 3 houses on the 1/2 mile long road), it tried to direct me to turn down a powerline right of way through the woods about 1/4 mile before getting to his road. I can see people blinding following such routing if driving in the dark, in bad weather, etc. as such right of ways look a bit like a poorly maintained road at first glance being a sudden clearing while driving through the woods.

The other side to GPS / Google maps questions are where they tell you to turn where there is not even a road.
The big problems I find with Garmins, the road is there. But either a locked gate or on somebody's private property with a no trespassing sign.

-Don- Wesco, CA

The Stolpa incident happened when my wife & lived in SF. Always remember that when thinking about finding a shortcut.

I was living in the San Francisco Bay area too with family in Colorado Springs during that search. We would travel by I-80 each Christmas. They were quite lucky to survive through the Sheldon Antelope Refuge. We've TT out there and it's beyond being remote.

And this group was recently discussing why Wyoming was considering banning EVs. EVs have their place, inside city limits and interstate highways. Wyoming is the land where big honkin 4 wheel drive fossil fuel pickemup trucks are the right choice. And 75% of the USA between the east and west coasts.

On the off topic of EV's I rode in a Tesla (model 3) for the first time today (Uber in New Orleans)

I am not sure on the number of motors, what I can say is the back seat was reasonably spacious, but getting my knee /feet in and more importantly out of it was a bit of a challenge. I can't say a lot more as it was only a little over a 1 mile trip (I was tired of walking after 3-4 miles today and 5-6 miles yesterday also it was starting to rain)

I learned early on using a GPS to never set it for the "Shortest route". The "Fastest route" setting will get you there quicker, while the "Shortest route" may have you following the cows to the barn...

"We think we found the real Gilligan's Island thanks to the Professor. If only Google Maps had been around, the castaways could have been rescued."

If you take the ferry out of Red Hook on St. Thomas and go over to St. John, then sail the southern coast of St. John as you approach Reef Bay Beach there is a small cabin cruiser with a hole in the bow that somebody painted SS Minnow on. Kinda' funny. Got a pic of it here somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom