How thick is the typical interior wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Brew

I want to install some additional towel bars and want to make sure my screws are short enough.

1.25-1.5 inches total is typical, so short screws. The higher end models may be 2" or a bit more. So called stick & tin construction is often different than laminated fiberglass.

Find an outlet or switch in an outside wall and open it up to see.

In our Sunstar, some partitions are 1/8" plywood sandwiching nominal 1x (really 3/4") lumber, so the wall itself is only 1" thick. Plus, screws don't hold well in the 1/8 ply. A molly or other expansion anchor helps.

I just measured mine on my Forest River Wildwood trailer
The wood paneling on each side is 1/8" thick and the inner space between the paneling is 1-1/2" for a total
of 1-3/4 "

A suggestion which I did on my last trailer which worked great.
I made backing plates for towel racks, a toilet paper holder and a few other items using half inch oak and then routing the edges, staining it and finishing it with polyurathane.
In each one I used two brass screws with sharp points and just long enough to penetrate the exterior paneling. Then I coated the backs with glue and putting pressure on the screw driver screwed them in place, (the screws just act as clamps). The next day, I would screw my item to the backing plate. In eight years with the trailer we never had one come loose and had quite a few comments on how attractive they were

Jack L

Just FYI, when installing new outlets (if you need to) interior or exterior, be sure to use a shallow box which you can get at lowes, they are blue in color and there are two types. One with a nail bracket and one without. 

djw2112 said:
Just FYI, when installing new outlets (if you need to) interior or exterior, be sure to use a shallow box which you can get at lowes, they are blue in color and there are two types. One with a nail bracket and one without.

Or you can do even better getting a "old work shallow box" with the side entry compartment which gives you 17 cu inches of space.(twice the space of a regular shallow box yet the wall cut out is the same size as a regular box)
It has the wings that attach to the back of the paneling.
I just finished using six of them in our year old trailer

Jack L

Back
Top Bottom