How to air tires to 110 psi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarabelle

I have a 1998 American Tradition DP and my 2 1/2 HP 3 gallon compressor will not bring my tires to 110 psi.  Where can I get a compressor that will do it?  Or is there some way to hook up to the motorhome air source? Thanks.

Clarabelle said:
I have a 1998 American Tradition DP and my 2 1/2 HP 3 gallon compressor will not bring my tires to 110 psi.? Where can I get a compressor that will do it?? Or is there some way to hook up to the motorhome air source? Thanks.

We use the on board air system to air the tires on our coach.  On the the American coaches I am familiar wiith there is a place to connect an air hose in the forward most bay drivers side.  I f you can't find a place to connect the air hose you might call American Coach.

On most coaches with air suspension there is a connection somewhere near the front of the coach to allow a tow truck to connect air during towing.  This same connection can be used to air tires.

Ron:

On the Freightliner chassis it is separate. A manifold that is protected below 70PSI is reccommended for all add-ons, horns, air checks, etc.

Jeff /Washington said:
Ron:

On the Freightliner chassis it is separate. A manifold that is protected below 70PSI is reccommended for all add-ons, horns, air checks, etc.

Maybe that is why I have seen some Dutch Stare owners carry a compressor to air tires.  I would think there would have to be a unrestricted air connection available in case of having to be towed.  I haven't really looked close at Freightliner chassis but I do know some can air their tires the same as we do with our Spartan Chassis.  Maybe Bernie can enlighten us since he has owned both.

Ron said:
Maybe that is why I have seen some Dutch Stare owners carry a compressor to air tires.  I would think there would have to be a unrestricted air connection available in case of having to be towed.  I haven't really looked close at Freightliner chassis but I do know some can air their tires the same as we do with our Spartan Chassis.  Maybe Bernie can enlighten us since he has owned both.

Ron

On the FL chassis there is an air manifold under the front hood. It is fairly easy to connect an air hose to one of the outlets. The coach builder usually plugs in the air horn and maybe another accessories or two there also. Very easy to do, Ned led me thru the whole thing.

On the Spartan chassis, there may be a manifold but I have never looked for or seen one. There is the connector in the underbays on the frame rail which I use to air my tires and that tow trucks can use to air the brake line.

Bernie,

Then you had no problem airing up tires to 100+ psi when you had the FL chassis??  Our air is in the forward most bay drivers side.  Really quite convenient.

Ron said:
Then you had no problem airing up tires to 100+ psi when you had the FL chassis??  Our air is in the forward most bay drivers side.  Really quite convenient.

Ron

I think I got to about 110psi without problem. The maximum air pressure is a function of the compressor settings.

We both have the same chassis, IIRC, so your air chuck is in the same place.

Our '98 American Dream has essentially the same chassis configuration, so like Ron, the chuck is in the compartment on the driver side at the very front.  I had to change the female chuck becasue the default factory chuck was for an industrial hose fitting. 

That hose fitting will provide you with dry air, a much better quality of air for your tires, especially if you use Equal powder for balancing.

I can get mine up to 110lbs but it takes a couple of minutes of holding the hose on the tire valve.

OK.  Thanks for the info.  The next time I go to the motorhome I'll check the forward driver side compartment for an air chuck.

Clarabelle said:
OK.  Thanks for the info.  The next time I go to the motorhome I'll check the forward driver side compartment for an air chuck.

Clarabelle

What brand coach or chassis do you have? We can probably figure out where the chuck is for you.

BernieD said:
Ron

I think I got to about 110psi without problem. The maximum air pressure is a function of the compressor settings.

We both have the same chassis, IIRC, so your air chuck is in the same place.

That is the way it is on the Spartan Chassis but Jeff mentioned a manifold and 70psi protected which I thought maybe FL had a second regulator in the system somewhere.

It does take a little time to air up to 110 psi but I don't think it takes longer than it would at say Flying  J. 

Obviously it works for us. ;D

Ron said:
That is the way it is on the Spartan Chassis but Jeff mentioned a manifold and 70psi protected which I thought maybe FL had a second regulator in the system somewhere.

Ron

FL usually has a 6 outlet manifold up front to which many of the air supplied items can be attached; air hose, air horns, etc. I believe the 70psi is a safety cutoff to insure no major loss of air at the manifold or attachments.

BernieD said:
Ron

FL usually has a 6 outlet manifold up front to which many of the air supplied items can be attached; air hose, air horns, etc. I believe the 70psi is a safety cutoff to insure no major loss of air at the manifold or attachments.

That sounds like a good idea.

I believe the 70psi is a safety cutoff to insure no major loss of air at the manifold or attachments.

Sorry I wasn't more specific but Bernie is correct, at 70PSI the air is cut off to protect the brake system pressure. That is why Freightliner wants ONLY this manifold used for accessories.

Back
Top Bottom