How to check the condition of my propane tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgnprof

I have a '93 Class C with a 40 lb (I think - I just had it filled from empty today and it took 10.3 gallons) onboard propane tank. The person filling commented on the looks of the tank - first time that's ever happened. It has some surface rust and I've not had any problems but it is almost 30 years old. Any way to check it out?

I went online looking for replacement options and everywhere seems to be "out of stock". Anyone have a recommended supplier/manufacturer - if I decided to replace it?

Thanks, ryan

Surface rust on a permanently mounted ASME LP tank is usually of no concern as long as there's no deep pitting. Hand sanding to remove the loose rust followed by spraying with one of the rust converter products and a final coating with a light gray rust resistant paint should stop any further questions about the condition. Mask the ratings label before painting. ASME tanks do not require any periodic inspections or recertifications in the US, but refillers are supposed to make a visual inspection for obvious damage before refilling. If the refiller just commented on the surface rust and still refilled the tank, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Unless it just looks really bad, I would just leave it alone. Surface rust is of no concern. If you are not sure, post a picture of your tank here so we can see what you are concerned about.

Propane weighs 4.24# per gallon but ASME tanks are usually rated by the gallon. If you look closely there will be data on the amount that your tank holds on the tank.
propanetankconnections.jpg

Thank you gentlemen! Appreciate the timely responses. I don't see any issues - I think she saw a clump of something sitting on top of the tank and thought it was a bubble of some sort in the tank itself. It was just dirt and after I wiped it off she filled it. But, I did want to ask the question about a 30 y/o propane tank. Again, thanks!

I remember painting mine on my class c. I simply wire brushed it, covered tags and gauges with blue tape, and bought a pint of rustoleum, (the good oil based stuff), a disposable foam roller, disposable paint brush, disposable rubber gloves and went at it in a grassy area in a park. I made minimal mess, (couple drops), cleaned up, everything into a plastic grocery bag when done, looked perfect for years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom