How to clean dirty greasy grimey leather seats??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.
The leather seats in our coach are really dirty and grimy. Saddle soap DOES NOT WORK.  Leather cleaners don't work.  Suggestions? Products?

Thanks,
Jack

Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?  I'm going to try it on an ink mark on my leather.

We had good luck cleaning the leather seats in our Honda with Windex Multitask.
Like you we found that a purported leather cleaner didn't work very well.
We also then did a clean water rinse followed by an application of a leather conditioner.

Get some Lexol. It contains cleaners AND special oils to keep the leather soft and supple. Several treatments may be required, and don't be too conservative with it. Get it good and damp and let sit for a while before rubbing (gently) with a soft cloth. DO NOT use anything abrasive as it will remove the lacquer, yes lacquer, final finish. The Magic Eraser is abrasive in spite of claims to the contrary.

As Clay mentioned, Windex Multi-task Wipes may help, but DO follow up with Lexol. The wipes are basically a very dilute (5%) solution of Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and water, and could dry out the leather if used excessively; therefore, the Lexol.

Jackliz said:
Howdy, Framily.
The leather seats in our coach are really dirty and grimy. Saddle soap DOES NOT WORK.  Leather cleaners don't work.  Suggestions? Products?

Thanks,
Jack

Don't know if you call our seats 'leather' or not. They are the Flexsteel.

Anyway, Joyce was at an FMCA years ago and at the Flexsteel booth she asked the rep how they kept the seats in showroom white with people sitting in them all day. He smiled and said I will whisper a little secret in your ear. We use baby wipes.

Since then that is all I have every used. Just a few baby wipes and they come out great.

Bob

Karl said:
As Clay mentioned, Windex Multi-task Wipes may help, but DO follow up with Lexol. The wipes are basically a very dilute (5%) solution of Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and water, and could dry out the leather if used excessively; therefore, the Lexol.

Karl,
The stuff we used wasn't wipes, but a solution in a spray bottle. Not the old Windex though. It comes in  orange (doesn't everything?) and  lime I think. I can't tell any difference between the two - except for smell.

Clay

Karl said:
In that case, it has between .1 and 1% ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether in addition to the 3-7% isopropanol and water. Not much different; same recommendation of follow-up with Lexol..

Karl, I don't want to be argumentative about this, but the stuff seems to work much better than alcohol and a simple solvent would indicate.

The Windex web site FAQ says it contains :
"What ingredients are in Windex? Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners?
Windex? Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners contain detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonia-D?, and alcohol. They should not be used if ammonia is not recommended for use on surface."

Clay

Clay,

Just going by what the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) says. They're required, by law, to list all materials and approximate qty's. Proprietary formulae need not be stated, but must be listed. SC Johnson provides a link to them on their own site.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom