How to find a cheap old cabover camper & u-haul style trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wildman111

We're from Louisiana and I basically need to find something that I can sleep in and take a shower, cook, etc. where I can travel without having to stay in hotel rooms - plus I need to pull stuff for a cooking exhibit at trade/home/rv shows.
I've got a '94 Ford XLT extra cab and am basically needing the absolute cheapest way to go, I'm talking probably 30 year old cabover & CHEAP used cargo trailer at least 5'x8'.
When I mean cheap, I'm talking about what a lot of you guys probably spend over the weekend.

Anybody looking for the best cookware on the planet - I'm now a distributor, I just used up all my savings to fast before I got on my feet after I quit my old job last year.

Where to find what I'm looking for would be a great help!

Almost all major cities have someone locally that handles very old trailers, motorhomes, truck campers, and parts for them. Check under salvage in yellow pages or call a local dealer and ask if there is anyone that carries that kind of stuff. You might be able to pick up an old trailer at a U-Haul or other rental lot, they normally get rid of them when they start looking bad.

Woody

Woody has put you on the right track - just hunt around the back sides of Rv dealers and used car lots and you should find low priced items you can use. Also chek out local buy/sell newspapers, e.g. Car Trader or similar.  They usually have slide in campers and trailers as well. There may also be an RV Trader or Truck Trader.

I'm guessing your XLT is an F150 model?  If so, you are rather limited in weight capacity for what you want to do.  A cabover (slide-in) is heavy and often overloads a half ton truck even without a trailer, so be careful about what you buy. Learn your trucks GVWR ad GCWR and check the weights of slide-in and trailer before you buy.  I know you don't want to hear about swapping trucks for an F250 or F350, but that's what you need to handle this sort of load.

Regarding a "u-haul" type trailer

1: I have an old apache popup that I've gutted, it is now a utility trailer, I'll be looking to get rid of it in the not too distant future but not just yet (perhaps a year)

2: U-Haul does sell it's old rolling stock from time to time, I know this includes trucks, but I'm not sure about trailers.  Used trailers are out there however.  BTW a 16 foot SCAMP trailer is low cost, would hold much of what you need to haul and can be equiped with shower and toilet as well as kitchen and bed.  Remove the bed and you have lots of storage, it's light and low cost as trailers go

Again, used does exist,,, I know. I just traded in a 13 footer

Back
Top Bottom