How To Fix Tiny Leak in Black Water Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Y'all.

We have discovered a tiny leak in our coach's black water tank. What type of compound should we use to seal this leak?

Thanks,
Liz

Liz, I would suggest Eternabond tape.  They have a web site--Google the name.

Ciao,

Doug

I just noticed yesterday that the local hardware store is now selling "GORELLIATape" . I''d sand the area good and than try some of this, which is advertised as "SUPER STICK TAPE". If that fails, then empty the tank and have Jack VERY gently smooth over the leak with a very broad tipped sodder gun. This should melt the plastic and seal the hole.

Chet18013

Thanks for the ideas. We don't know the composition of the tank. Guess we will call Blue Bird to find out.
The leak is in such an odd place. I am going to upload some photos to show the leak's location more clearly. BTW, the tank capacity is 100 gallons.

Regards,
Liz

Attachments

• 1993_WL_BWT.jpg
    1993_WL_BWT.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Leak_Closeup.jpg
    Leak_Closeup.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Tank_leak_2.JPG
    Tank_leak_2.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 34

P.S. I forgot to write that Jack has used some RTV so see if that will seal the BWT leak. That is the white stuff you see smeared on the tank.

Why not use JB Weld?  Cheap, easy, and very strong.  If it will seal a leaking gas tank, it should work on a BWT.

First, is the tank all black polyethylene or is it stainless steel, painted black? --Can't tell from the photo. If it's the black  PE, you only have one real alternative and that is to look up a plastic tank fabricator in the phone book and get them to hot air weld the tank.  In my prior life, this was the only way we found to repair cracks in PE that had any chance of holding, especially if there was any tank flex involved--and you have plenty of that, sloshing down the road.

What ever you do make sure to get ALL and I mean ALL the RTV cleaned off before starting. It has silicone in it and this will prevent anything else from bonding in that area.  Thoroughly scraping, wire brushing and then thoroughly sanding might do the trick.  I'd even try to hit the area with a mini-sand blaster.

After cleaning, the JM Weld might do the trick if it's  a stainless steel tank.

Chet18013

Back
Top Bottom