How to get an A/C on the roof by yourself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HueyPilotVN

Today they delivered my new Dometic 15K A/C heat pump for the roof of my coach.

I thought it might be lighter than it is.

It is hard to find any kind of day labor to do simple things like lifting here in Lake Havasu.

So I worked out a way to get the A/C up on the roof by myself, at least the first part.

I have a roll around scaffold that I use for reaching the top half of my coach.  It is about 6 feet high.

I locked the wheels, put a ladder from the floor to the scaffold and then used the golf cart and a couple of straps to slide the A/C up and on the scaffold.

This gets me half way there.  The next step is going to be the challange.  I might have to break down and get someone to get on one end and help me lift it 6 feet to the roof.

Attachments

• r20180712_181826.jpg
    r20180712_181826.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 130
  • r20180712_181857.jpg
    r20180712_181857.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 118
  • r20180712_181749.jpg
    r20180712_181749.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 116
  • r20180712_181809.jpg
    r20180712_181809.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 113
I?m always down for providing free labor -get a good primal workout. Too bad I?m about 15 hours away. I would even keep my mouth shut if you wanted (hard to believe, but it is true!).

Good luck and be safe!

I am outside on the RV Pad next to the garage.

I placed the ladder against the side of the RV.  I shortened it to fit and anchored it to the scaffold and place the scaffold against the privacy wall.

Looking across the roof I see three roof vents.  I tossed a rope over the one and am using it as a safety anchor and have the ratchets hooked to the rope.

I am using three straps with ratchets, moving one at a time to readjust and shorten the straps.

Went fine till I got hung up on the edge with one of the straps.  The A/C slid off the side of the ladder.  No problem it is held by the straps.

I am going to quit for the night, too dark, will push it back on the ladder and finish tomorrow.

Attachments

• r20180712_193431.jpg
    r20180712_193431.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 86
  • r20180712_193417.jpg
    r20180712_193417.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 84
  • r20180712_200941.jpg
    r20180712_200941.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 85
  • r20180712_200951.jpg
    r20180712_200951.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 83
  • r20180712_204957.jpg
    r20180712_204957.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 83
If you can affix a strap to the bottom edge against the wall you might be able to pull and roll the AC up over the edge.

Another option may be extending a ladder its maximum length and leaning it way out to give you a lower angle to slide it up.

Thanks.

It will slide over the edge as it is because the ladder top is just at the edge of the roof.  The problem is that the strap is pulling at a little angle and it caught and the A/C slid off the edge of the ladder.  No problem. I will readjust it tomorrow.

I can actually move it back on the ladder from the side on a step ladder.

It was getting too dark to see well.

The base of the ladder is against the privacy wall and is very secure.  The angle is not a problem. 

The real problem is that by doing this alone I had no one to watch the A/C to make sure it was not off center on the ladder as I raised it with the ratchets on the center of the roof where I could not see the A/C.

You need to video all this and send it to The World's Funniest Videos. You might win $10,000 when something interesting happens.

If you are still around to collect it that is.

Maybe check tool rental store and see if they have a duct lift. It is like a manuel forklift with crank up forks used to put pieces of duct in place.

Bill - The simple way to get day laborers is to stop by a Home Depot in the morning. There are usually a few people standing around looking for work.

I've got a new Dometic Brisk II coming next week for my Toy Hauler garage area.  My plan is to pull the T.H. part of the way out of the carport that it resides in.  I have a 4 sheve rope hoist that is going to be attached to one of the cross braces in the carport overhead.  The A/C unit will be tied onto the hook of the rope hoist, and hoisted up in the air until it's high enough to back the trailer under it, then lowered in place onto the top of the trailer.  The 4 sheve rope hoist will give me an approx. 4 to 1 reduction in lifting weight for me to be able to pull it up then tie it off securely until the trailer is under it.

Bill that fellow in the desert that you gifted the generator to may be willing to help return the favor in the form of labor.

Bill

What I would do Bill is find one of the ceiling joist in the coach bay and screw in a 1/2" eye  bolt  about 4" long. Then run a rope thru the eye. Tie one end around the AC and the other end to one of your jeeps. Then pull on the rope with the jeep till the AC is high enough so you can back the coach under it the just lower it with the jeep.  Easy because you have overhead doors at both ends of the bay.  I see in one of your pictures you can see the seem where the joist is. 

How much do these things weigh?  Aren't they only about 80 lbs?  If you cannot just carry them up a ladder, maybe a drywall jack would have been easier?  Or a come-along?  Or just push it up the ladder rails as you go up?  Good job, but seems to be a lot of work.

I would still be worried about tearing out a roof vent on the building if there was a sudden jerk.  Then you may have a leaking roof.

A block and tackle rigged inside the bay would easily lift the 100 or so pounds. Once lifted and secured move the RV into position so it can be lowered onto the roof.

Bill, Do you have a tree that is taller than the RV?  If so hoist it up the tree then drive under it.  Sounds simple until you start looking for a tree tall enough.

Too bad you arent in Florida I have several machines that could get it up there.

dave61 said:
A block and tackle rigged inside the bay would easily lift the 100 or so pounds. Once lifted and secured move the RV into position so it can be lowered onto the roof.

That's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that.  :eek: ::) ;D ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom