How to keep tanks and lines from freezing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CourtC

Hello RVers, we have a 40’ Forrest River SportsCoach Diesel. Apparently there is no heat in the basement and no tank heater pads…we‘ve never had her in sub-freezing weather. Is placing a small space heater or two in the basement an acceptable idea to keep things from freezing? I’m wondering if anyone does this.

Are you sure? I have a friend with a Sportscoach diesel, less than 10 years old, and I know his has one of the propane heaters vented to the wet bay. We have been in temps below freezing, and he wasn’t worried at all.

Are you sure? I have a friend with a Sportscoach diesel, less than 10 years old, and I know his has one of the propane heaters vented to the wet bay. We have been in temps below freezing, and he wasn’t worried at all.
Actually I’m not sure. She’s a 2018; I will give Coachman a call Monday.

You may be right!

Believe it or not, in 4 years and 30,000 miles we’ve never been below freezing. We usually get by with the electric fireplace.

I looked for vents in the belly and didn’t see any…thanks for your response.

Right now they’re in the teens at night.
You probably won't have anything freeze with it inside of the basement storage as long as you have the inside comfortable even without basement heat as long as temperatures get well above freezing in the daytime, but it is a good ideal to check. One of the smallest electric heaters in the wet bay would also work but you will need power for it and place it carefully. Before you do that, check to be sure as you most likely do have heat in the basement. If you are able to see the back of your furnace and if it has a small duct along with the typical ones the small one probably goes to the basement. This picture shows a pretty typical setup.
suburban-rv-furnace-restricted-ducting.jpg

As someone who has lived in Iowa for 30+ years and with a house in Iowa (though we aren’t there a lot!), late February is much safer than early February! The worst weather I can remember happened in February one year with -30F temps. Killed half of the plants in my yard! Mostly lows are in the teens though. Assuming you have a propane furnace, just keep the furnace on even when driving. Watch the propane level though, something you may not think much about if you normally heat with electricity. A small “personal” heater of 200 watts or so can be put in the wet bay at night. And buy a remote read thermostat that you put in the bay and can read from inside. It will alleviate a lot of stress.

Note the vast majority of campgrounds will be closed completely. Find the few that have winter availability and make reservations. Many of those will only have electricity, no water, so make sure you fill your tank up before hitting cold weather country.

Hello RVers, we have a 40’ Forrest River SportsCoach Diesel. Apparently there is no heat in the basement and no tank heater pads…we‘ve never had her in sub-freezing weather. Is placing a small space heater or two in the basement an acceptable idea to keep things from freezing? I’m wondering if anyone does this.
These two items relieved all my cold freezing stress this year -
https://www.amazon.com/HEATIT-Freeze-Thermostatically-Controlled-Outlet/dp/B074HVYDV1?th=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-EH...4917718&sprefix=easy+heat,aps,176&sr=8-3&th=1

Along with a good extension to the 20A pedestal outlet.

I bought a thermometer with a remote sensor and placed it in different areas of the motorhome. One night down to 18 and at 22 the wet bay was getting to 31. Put the heater to work - no issues. It's a pretty neat solution - I will be running a regular 120v GFCI circuit to the wet bay for a permanent installation.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but all of the SportsCoach rigs I can find are by Coachmen, not Forest River. You don't say what year the coach is, but it would surprise me if a DP didn't have basement heat.

I'd just drive my car to Iowa, pick that puppy up, and go back home.

I'd leave the bus in Sarasota. That way it won't get all the salt on it from the snowy bad weather roads.

What kind of puppy are you getting?

Thank you all for the replies…been busy but do appreciate the help.
Turns out Big Red does in fact have a duct hearing the wet basement, per Coachman.

👍👍

Forre
Perhaps I'm missing something, but all of the SportsCoach rigs I can find are by Coachmen, not Forest River. You don't say what year the coach is, but it would surprise me if a DP didn't have basement heat.
Coachman is indeed the builder, but Forrest River is involved somehow. But you are correct sir.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom