How to keep the 7 pt plug safe if it falls out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rex

I found a way to keep the 7 point plug safe if it falls out. Mine fell out bringing it home from the dealer. I am new to owning a travel trailer. Ruined the plug and the cable wire, I had to put on a replacement. I use a key chain belt clip attached to a loop on one of the screws on the back of my truck. Works well.

IMG_1070.JPGIMG_1069.JPGIMG_1066.JPGIMG_1067.JPG

Good idea. The plug has a lip on it, and the lid to the truck end is 'supposed' to catch on that lip. Maybe just a newbie mistake not having it inserted all the way. Oh well, life lessons, and your safety cord should certainly help with that issue again. Congrats on your Travel Trailer, and welcome to the Forum. Hang around, great place to learn about general trailering and RVing as a whole. I've learned plenty that has undoubtedly saved me $ over the years.

They are made to stay inserted,, when they "fall out" it's normally because the line is too short or the female end is placed too far from the pivot point (ball) and they are "pulled" out. ..>>>Dan

Make sure the door is latched to the plug. I’ve been towing for about 40 years and never had one pull/fall out. Knock on wood.

I'll just say this, I've towed trailers for right at 50 years and have never had one come out or get pulled out. Something that might be easier than the keychain method would be to buy a Velcro strap (1/2" to 3/4" wide would be plenty) and wrap it completely around the plug and the door cover for the receptacle. That would keep the door tab and the raised portion of the plug from possibly not locking in place. Just a thought.

I can see that the distance that the OPs plug is off center to the left would make it necessary to have more cable length for a right hand turn..>>>Dan

I can see that the distance that the OPs plug is off center to the left would make it necessary to have more cable length for a right hand turn..>>>Dan
Mine is in the same location just to the left of the plate and I’ve never had a problem.

Duh,, your lead is long enough for both directions,, the OPs might not be..>>>D ( If correctly inserted they don't just "fall out" as you said.)

I found that one of my trailers plug was inserting too easily. I looked at it and the gap on on each connection was a bit wide .
I used my pocket knife to pry closed the gap and now it fits tighter. I also always make sure the lid latch is going to keep it in.

Back
Top Bottom