How to level my camper WITHOUT moving it or using blocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thcguy12

So our travel trailer is finally on the land however it's really wedged in and there is no way to get a car back in there to move the camper back and forth to put blocks under tires on side that is lower.  The camper is level front to back BUT not level side to side.  The front left corner is slightly lower than the rest. 

What other techniques could we use for leveling it side to side (not front to back - that is fine)?

We were thinking maybe some stabilizer jacks could help.  It doesn't have any front ones now.  Thoughts?

Any other ideas since we can't do it correctly with leveling blocks?

Can you get a regular style jack up under the axle?

If so then

1.  Make sure the high side wheel is fully chocked, blocked, and locked.
2.  jack up the lowside using a floor jack or bottle jack to where it is just past level,
3.  then insert the necessary blocks under the propped up wheel
4.  lower the jack so the tailer's tire now sits on the newly installed leveling blocks.
5.  See how level you are now, repeat 1-4 as needed to get it right on?

Use a small bottle jack. Position it in the center of the plate which holds the spring bolts.  Jack it high enough to get a 1 1/2" X 8" plank, about 12" long under that wheel. Make sure the entire tread is still on the board. Do the same thing with the other wheel on the same side. Keep shimming until it's level. Then check it for level front to back and adjust it accordingly.
Once it's level,  block up all 4 corners of the frame to support the trailer. This will stabilize it to stop bouncing up and down when walking.

Since this is a permanent set up, after you put 2x8's or whatever material under the tires, I'd also suggest screwing in tapered wooden blocks front and back of each tire to act as chocks. This will not only add safety but should steady it a bit, too.

I was looking online to buy one.  They seem to only go about 12-15" tall.  I think anything solid under mine is about 2-3 feet.

Well the back already has stabilizer jacks setup.  I will buy two more and put them on front corners once it's level.  That should be good I think.

thcguy12 said:
I was looking online to buy one.  They seem to only go about 12-15" tall.  I think anything solid under mine is about 2-3 feet.

What we're you thinking of buying online?

how out of level is it?
I remember from my popup days that many of those manufacturers recommended to not jack by the stabilizers.  Frame bending could result.
The stabilizers were there to stabilize, nothing more.  Jacking should be done at the proper points, usually where the suspension connects to the frame.... or the wheel itself as is the case with the BAL leveling jack (for small single axle trailers)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom