How to lift generator onto back of travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AuntFrahn

We have a new Pacific Coast 23.5 foot Seabreeze trailer.

Our generator is too heavy to put on the bumper rack.
Will install a receiver hitch [welded to frame] with platform for a Predator 3500 weighting 99 pounds.

We cannot lift the generator on and off the rack and will not be leaving it on the rack permanently.

Cannot seem to find a way to hoist it up without expensive equipment which would be too heavy to carry anyway.

Looked for a hand truck/dolly type thing that could somehow lift it up to the platform.
Haven't found anything suitable. 

Another thought was that the platform will be 5 feet.
We could have a ramp to wheel the generator up onto the platform from the side where there would be room to continue walking backwards as the generator is pulled up the ramp.

Does that sound feasible?
Thank you,

Without having to have extra fabrication for a Davit for lifting, maybe this hand winch bolted to your rack and a small ramp like your thinking. If a hundred pounds is too much to lift, a hundred pounds on hand truck uphill is a no go, plus rolling free wheel downhill may not be fun. With this you can very easily roll up and down that load under control. I suggest this one since I own one and can fully recommend its construction and ease to use,,,Gregg
https://www.amazon.com/Fulton-FW32000101-Two-Speed-Trailer-Winch/dp/B0036PUHN6/ref=sr_1_6?hvadid=77721781965912&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=boat+winch+with+strap&qid=1559578425&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Welcome to the forum.

While campgrounds are generally pretty safe, outside generators are probably the number one theft item. You'll want to keep that in mind as you secure yours to the trailer.

Go to Harbor Freight.  They have various dollies that will get you thinking what will work. 
X2 about theft, 100lbs is nothing to grab and run off with for younger guy.  At least a lock of some kind.

jackiemac said:
Are you sure the TT can take the extra weight on the back?

Not just extra weight as in strength of the bumper and structure, but the handling of the trailer will be greatly affected. Adding weight to the back can be a disaster. You need that 10-15% tongue weight and the generator can easily make the tongue way too light, causing uncontrollable sway.

I would hope this is a inverter type generator, and not some NOISY, LOUD, huge, heavy, open framed "construction" generator. The largest common inverter generators (3400-3600 watts) weigh in at between 95 and 120 lbs depending on brand, if battery start, and if fueled up, etc. Two people of average strength should be able to easily lift such generator onto a rear bumper platform.

I asked a similar question on another forum, how to lift a 100 lb generator onto the back of my pickup SOLO. I got a lot of responses, but really liked the idea of a davit hoist. This is an example, something much lighter and simpler can easily be made, and if there is a ladder on the back of the trailer, a ligh weight boom could be made to attach to the rungs of the ladder with a light weight hoist on it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-61522.html?_br_psugg_q=pickup+truck+crane

Charles

i do not have any numbers.
but i am building up a rear hitch mount for my honda eu3000,
with food extra water and other supplies.  i be
live my 25 foot 5er is good to go w eight wise. pluse all the weight in the bed (30gallons diesel. up front in the bed. 40 gallons water behind the hitch.

but as for a rear mount rack bolt your gen down. and make sure the rack is above the rear bumper ( bump clearance). have it reinforced as a 100 pound load can easly go well over 3000 pounds force in a good bump.

99 pounds. for me one hand.

Ok. if you have a "Tray" can you mount a bicycle rack above it .. I will describe my bike holder

Then use a 4 or 6 pulley hoist to lift the generator or a small chain fall type hoist
(4 pulley you'd need about 25 pounds of pull if I did the math right. Divide weight by number of ropes going up/down)  I would not want to use this with much more than 100 pounds though.

THe hoist I have is a 2 bike Draw Tight as I recall. It is designed to bolt on to a standard ball hitch type adapter. (The "Tongue" the ball bolts into) on the "Tray" you drill the 2" shaft and mount the bike holder to that..  Can put a couple bicyles on it too just for riding.

This is NOT the rack I have but it's close.

How about a simple A frame lift, connect 3 lengths of board about 8 ft each together in an A frame, you could use eyebolts to make it easy to disassemble, run a block and tackle like https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01BGZA052  up to the center of the A frame.  Then simply pull on the rope, and swing the A frame over to lower onto the ground, thanks to mechanical advantage you should never be dealing with more than 15-20 pounds of felt weight at any point.  Total cost maybe $60 for the block and tackle, 3 2x4x8 pieces of lumber, 6 eyebolts, and 3 quick-links or nuts and bolts to connect them.  The 7 to 1 lifting ration of the block and tackle means the felt weight lifting a 100 pound generator would be around 15 pounds at the the end of the rope, not accounting for friction losses, you would just need to pull 7 feet of rope to get 1 foot of lift at the generator.  laying it over to the side assuming moving over 1.5 feet before lowering with the rope would  be about the same on the A frame which could be anchored in place with safety lines.

You really need to investigate your options and answer some questions. 
All of these will indicate some direction to your specific solution.

Will you want to run the machine while it is on the carrier? 
Will you be able to do the basic checks and maintenance  on the carrier?
How high do you have to lift the 100#?
How often will you have to lift the 100#?
Will you only do the lift on/off at a single location?
Where will you carry fuel for the machine?

Good luck

Matt

The Predator 3500 may be difficult to roll. It has very tiny wheels. I was seriously looking at it but realized the small wheels, and the lack of an RV 30TT receptacle/outlet on it were drawbacks, and I found similar sized Champion units with large wheels, RV receptacle and nicer design for not much more money. The small wheels will make the Predator 3500 difficult to roll up a ramp and onto the platform, let along maneuver it on any unpaved surface.

Charles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom