How to measure tread depth on a tire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not every retailer is a crook.

But many have earned their bad reputation, or their good reputation. Key is....neither distrust nor afford a tire retailer a level of trust which they do not automatically deserve.

For the OP, yeah, move that tire before it wears too much on one side below minimum tread depth, but first try to figure out what the problem it is so it doesn't do it to the next tire you move there!

The tires were new in 2020. The air pressure is spot on. There's about 12000 miles on the tires.
I am going to get a alignment ASAP. This is the only tire that has uneven wear. I will not rotate tires on a RV unless it's for some reason like this.
However I will not rotate them cause there is only .050 difference in the thread depth for one side to other.

Thanks for all your help.

The reason why he should move it to the back is because it would even the wear out. The tire looks completely safe.
How? It is worn the same amount no matter wear you put it. You rotate tire positions to even out wear IF one axle normally wears more than the other(s), but that's not the case here. The uneven wear pattern indicates an alignment flaw that needs to be corrected. Once corrected, there is no reason to move the tire.

How? It is worn the same amount no matter wear you put it. You rotate tire positions to even out wear IF one axle normally wears more than the other(s), but that's not the case here. The uneven wear pattern indicates an alignment flaw that needs to be corrected. Once corrected, there is no reason to move the tire.
So one should not rotate their tires? Just put them on and run them?

I have seen argument both ways. Fact on duals the inner and outer NORMALLY wear differently.
I think this goes back to Bias ply fabric belted tires and there may have been very good reasons to rotate back then.
Today's Steel Belted Radials.. Have different care and feeding needs.. Thw key word however is "THINK" .. I'm not sure.

You can always flip the tire if the are bidirectional. Only issue would be if you have white lettering on one side.

Fun fact, the Milton tire gauge I linked to HERE has not changed since at least the early 1960's. The US Postal Service used a Postal Zone system from 1943 to 1963 when Zip codes went into use. The Milton Tire gauge is marked MILTON® Chicago 39 U.S.A. which is the old US Postal Service zone code. They have never bothered to change the design even though they continue to manufacture the gauge with the engraved, painted lettering.

Charles

That looks like the stone ejector in Goodyear G670 tires, it has no bearing on tread depth measurment. The minimum tread depth for truck tires is different than for auto tires, and specified in the Goodyear RV tire handbook as 6/32" for steer tires.
Moving a tire to a different position will not alter an existing wear pattern, it will not increase or decrease.
Merely having a front-end alignment is only half of the job, a total/thrust alignment must be performed for the best results.
For example, I was seeing abnormal steer tire wear, the steering wheel was not level when driving straight and the MH pulled to one side. After the total alignment the thrust angle was out by 3/4" and corrected too.
Afterwards the MH did not pull to one side, steering wheel was straight, the MH drives very much easier, and my fuel mileage improved approx. ½ MPG.

Sorry for the long reply, but that's my opinions and experiences with abnormal wearing steer tires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom