how to move cottage style park model to different campground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camper gal

I would like to move a 1995 Lee "Cottage" style park model to a campground approximately 5 miles away.  I know I need a flatbed truck and permits.  Here is the problem:  It is 12 feet wide by 35 feet long.  The axle is only under eight feet of the width.  The other four feet hang over the axle throwing the center of gravity off.  Should I remove the axle wheels so the eight feet of the camper supported by the axle is not so much more elevated than the four feet that hangs over the axle so there is less chance of tipping?  Or is there a better approach?  Thank you,  Camper Gal

camper gal:

Sure sounds like a job to leave to the professionals to me.

I agree, sounds like a professional type job, park models are built like mobile homes
not rv's. Call around and get some estimates, you might find the cost to be worth
letting the professionals worry about it.

Even giant mobile homes use 8 foot axles, they are 14-16 feet wide and up to 80 feet long. I assume they put the axle on the coach so it can be moved. I do not see the problem moving the trailer on its own axle or am I missing something  here?

Definitely let a professional towing company handle the move.  There will be permits involved to move something that large on the road.

Well I assumed you are not panning to hook this up to your Pinto bumper and going for it ;), so "professional" tow service was also assumed, you mentioned flat bed, that does not sound right, again unless I am missing something here. I looked up  park models and they are ALL equipped with axles and tires for over the road transport, why would you remove them? Maybe the park you are moving to or from can recommend a company that sets the trailer up and will move or know someone that moves them, typically a local towing service.  Do not make mountains out of mole hills, 35 feet is not very long, 12 feet is not very wide and 5 miles is not very far. Most towns will sell a daily 'wide load' permit for minimum dollars.

I have watched mobile homes (just large park models) getting installed and removed, it goes like this

1 Remove all skirting around bottom of trailer if so equipped.

2  Disconnect all services,gas, water power, sewage, cable etc.

3 Reinstall trailer tongue if it had been removed.

4 Install tires if they had been removed.

5 Remove all blocking supporting trailer

6 Move any sheds or decks that may interfere with move

7 Hang a wide load banner on back.

8  Move it and reverse procedure at new location.

Any parts (porch/decks /awnings)  that were installed on the outside when trailer was first place may need to be removed for transport

Have a happy move.

Usually the overhang is balanced, i.e. a couple feet at either end of the axle. As was mentioned, huge mobile homes, e.g. 14 x 70 ft, are moved on 8 ft axles.

Hire a professional mobile home moving company. They will handle all the details, take it down and set it up, and their insurance covers the move in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for the replies.  I was only planning to have the wheels removed.  The axle is NOT balanced and is only under eight feet of the trailer.  the other 4 feet are cantilevered and I've been told that it could easily tip while being towed.  Apparently this trailer was delivered with the 4 foot section folded up and inside the eight foot section, with windows, doors etc. installed at the delivery site.  I don't want to go through the process of removing windows,doors folding walls etc. and because this is an odd situation I am looking for advice.  I do intend to have it moved professionally but can't find anyone to haul it because of this potential tipping problem.  Thank you for any solutions to this problem.  Camper Gal

Now it makes sense, I knew something was missing, sounds like a slow ride is in order with all movable weight in coach on opposite side from cantilever, lets face it even at 10 miles per hour you will still be there in 1/2 hour. Now you need to find someone that gets things done. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom