How to remove motar film from concrete pavers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Hi,

I laid down red concrete pavers and then used dry motar mix and swept it into the cracks and then wet it down, brushed and sqeegee it off and let it dry. It left a grey film on the pavers, how do i get that off? I have seen products such as concrete and motor disolver from sakrete but wont that remove my grout also? What is the best way to remove that film from the pavers?

Maybe what you should have done is just wet it down or let rain do it and let it dry naturally. I would think that the concrete has gotten in the porous brick. I don’t have an answer for you and I’m not knowledgeable about what to do but I would think you’re stuck with what you have. Hopefully someone will chime in with help.

Yep, acid is what I'ved used for cleaning up grout on tiles, called haze remover. Used too strongly or unevenly it can leave patches or streaks so work carefully and rinse liberally when done.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If it's just a haze, try vinegar and water solution. You may need to do it twice. Put it in a spray bottle and mist it on and wipe it off. For really stained concrete I have use muriatic acid (swimming pool acid) but that will really etch concrete.

You can also try a stiff bristle brush, like one with nylon bristles. Normally tile setters wipe the grout on and push it into the cracks. When it dries a bit they follow it up with a large sponge and a bucket of plain water.

go to a builders supply and get Sure Clean 600 made for cleaning new masonry.
Wet it,scrub it,if you scrape any areas make sure you scrub it again rinse with lots of water .
Don't let it dry on .Don't use plain murat acid
Been doing this for 40 yrs

i got an answer back from a concrete contractor. They sugested muratic acid deluted 7 to 1
Please let us know what you tried and what worked. I had to repair a chimney a few years ago and got some of the mortar and the bricks which did not need repair. I’d like to clean them up if it’s possible.

If you go looking for it, it is muriatic acid. It is available on Amazon, at Lowe’s, Home Depot and Walmart.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, i treated it today. I used a putty knife and scraped off the thicker stuff and then washed it down. As i understand it, you need to wet the pavers first because they are poris and you want them to suck up the water not the acid mixture. So i wet them down first. I mixed the acid 7 full measuring cups water to 1 full measuring cup acid in a plastic bucket. I used a plastic brush to apply the mixture to the pavers, it fizzles like soda when it hits the mortar, my back was really getting to me so i just dumpted the whole solution on the pavers. I stood back so i would have breathe the steaming vapor of the acid while it fizzled away. After about 5 min i washed it all down with water for about 5 min or so really soaking the area around the pavers to delute the acid.

Result: Alot of it came off but it will need a second treatment. Maybe ill try 6-1 mixture next time.
If that does not work, ill try the vinegar suggestion. That sure clean 600 that was recommended is $81 a jug, way too expensive.

TIP: Just be sure you wear proper gear, eye protection, a mask, and protective gloves, and do your best not to splatter the stuff when you apply it. Also remember never never never add water to the acid, always add the acid to water after the water is in bucket.

Please let us know what you tried and what worked. I had to repair a chimney a few years ago and got some of the mortar and the bricks which did not need repair. I’d like to clean them up if it’s possible.

If you go looking for it, it is muriatic acid. It is available on Amazon, at Lowe’s, Home Depot and Walmart.

Be very careful when using Muriatic acid on bricks Rene. Bricks tend to be softer than cement, and the acid could eat the surface right off of the brick. I don't advise use of the acid by anyone not familiar with it's use as it can get away from you quick. Muriatic acid is what concrete truck drivers use to clean the dried concrete from their trucks as it is very aggressive.

Be very careful when using Muriatic acid on bricks Rene. Bricks tend to be softer than cement, and the acid could eat the surface right off of the brick. I don't advise use of the acid by anyone not familiar with it's use as it can get away from you quick. Muriatic acid is what concrete truck drivers use to clean the dried concrete from their trucks as it is very aggressive.
Don'tbe cheap get the sure clean 600 .
It is an acid blend detergent made for brick.

Hi everyone, i treated it today. I used a putty knife and scraped off the thicker stuff and then washed it down. As i understand it, you need to wet the pavers first because they are poris and you want them to suck up the water not the acid mixture. So i wet them down first. I mixed the acid 7 full measuring cups water to 1 full measuring cup acid in a plastic bucket. I used a plastic brush to apply the mixture to the pavers, it fizzles like soda when it hits the mortar, my back was really getting to me so i just dumpted the whole solution on the pavers. I stood back so i would have breathe the steaming vapor of the acid while it fizzled away. After about 5 min i washed it all down with water for about 5 min or so really soaking the area around the pavers to delute the acid.

Result: Alot of it came off but it will need a second treatment. Maybe ill try 6-1 mixture next time.
If that does not work, ill try the vinegar suggestion. That sure clean 600 that was recommended is $81 a jug, way too expensive.

TIP: Just be sure you wear proper gear, eye protection, a mask, and protective gloves, and do your best not to splatter the stuff when you apply it concrete pavers atlanta. Also remember never never never add water to the acid, always add the acid to water after the water is in bucket.
If you have a grey film on your red concrete pavers after using dry mortar mix, there are a few methods you can try to remove it:

1. Scrubbing with a Brush: Start by scrubbing the pavers with a stiff-bristle brush and water. This can help loosen and remove the film. Be sure to scrub gently to avoid damaging the pavers.
  2. Vinegar Solution: Mix a solution of equal parts water and white vinegar. Apply this solution to the affected areas of the pavers and scrub with a brush. Vinegar can help dissolve and remove the film. Rinse the pavers thoroughly with water afterward.
  3. Acidic Cleaner: If the vinegar solution doesn't work, you can try using an acidic cleaner specifically designed for removing mortar residue or efflorescence. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and make sure the cleaner is safe for use on your specific type of pavers. It's a good idea to test the cleaner on a small, inconspicuous area first.
When using any cleaning solution or acidic cleaner, be sure to wear protective gloves and follow the safety instructions on the product label. Avoid using harsh chemicals that may damage the pavers or surrounding areas.

If you're unsure about the best approach or if the film persists, it's advisable to consult with the manufacturer of the pavers or seek advice from a professional who has experience in paver maintenance. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation and ensure the proper care and cleaning of your pavers.

OR you can try using concrete dye if you are talking about concrete tiles and not just calling porcelain or clay tiles "concrete". You put it in a pump up sprayer and spray the stuff on the concrete and let set a bit (read the instructions) which is what I would have done before using muriatic acid (wicked on the lungs).

Back
Top Bottom