How To Set Up A Web Site?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.

I am considering helping someone set up a web site. Having never done this before, I don't know what is involved. What sort of basic items are needed to do this? Domain name, server, software, etc?

Thanks,
Liz

There are lots of choices.  If a real web site is what you are looking for, check with your ISP.  Most of them provide a small amount of web site space, often with templates and software to build your site.  A good way to start.  If you want more space, you can either go to a "free" site that usually adds advertising to your pages or pay for a site.  Some free sites are at Free Web Sites.  As to pay sites - they are inexpensive - I use 1 & 1 to host my site Lakeshore Images.  They charge $2.99 a month for 1 domain name, 5 GB of web space, 500 email accounts & 250 GB of traffic per month.  This is plenty for almost anyone - they offer more if you want to pay for it.  They include web building software & more.  I use Macromedia (now Adobe's) Dreamweaver to build & maintain the site. You will need to choose a domain name (ex www.rvforum.net or www.lakeshoreimages.com)  - the advantage is if you choose to move your site to another provider you can take the domain name with you and not need to start over. Some providers do not register the domain in your name - be sure they do if you are paying for it.

Another possibility - you may only need/want a blog.  If so, there are a number of free blogging sites - Although not as flexible as a full web site, their are easier to manage.

Some examples of blogs & blogging sites:
We're On The Road using Live Journal
Richard & Shirley using blogspot (from Google)
The Wandering Wishnies using My Trip Journal

If you wish to see lots of examples of blogs, journals, and travelogs, check the RV Links page of my website - there are links to hundreds of them.

First you will want to select and register the domain name.  I have used GoDaddy as my registrar and they have about the best prices available.  As for building the web site, there are a few questions you need to answer so we can give you the proper direction.

1. Is this a personal or business web site?

2. Will this be just a simple static web site or will it have dynamic content?

3. If a business, will you need a payment processor?

That's just for starters.  As for software, there are lots of choices but it depends on your knowledge of HTML, CSS, and related tools, and how much you're willing to learn.

Ned said:
First you will want to select and register the domain name.  I have used GoDaddy as my registrar and they have about the best prices available.  As for building the web site, there are a few questions you need to answer so we can give you the proper direction.

1. Is this a personal or business web site?

2. Will this be just a simple static web site or will it have dynamic content?

3. If a business, will you need a payment processor?

That's just for starters.  As for software, there are lots of choices but it depends on your knowledge of HTML, CSS, and related tools, and how much you're willing to learn.

Answers:
1.  A business
2.  Does "Dynamic content" equate to sending email to this site? If so, the answer is Yes
3.  No, there will be nothing to buy on this site.

Regards,
Liz

Howdy, Jon.
Thanks for your reply. That is a lot of detail that I need to ponder over. Hmm. I will check out some of those sites.

Thanks,
Liz

First, register the domain name of choice.  Try to get the .com, .net, .org, and perhaps the .us variations as well even if they won't be used to keep the domain squatters from grabbing them.  Then pick one of the better known web hosting providers like godaddy.com, 1and1.com, dewahost.com, pair.com.  Check the various web sites for the available packages and pricing.

Dynamic content is like this forum, the pages aren't static HTML but created on the fly from a database, usually a SQL database, and the web site is written in PHP or ASP.NET.  For static web sites, HTML and CSS (for ease of changing the presentation style) is all that's needed.  There are numerous programs available for editing pages, from free (NVU) to very expensive (DreamWeaver).  As mentioned before, the use of templates can make at least the initial web site creation easier.

That should get you pointed in the right direction for a start.

Liz,

It might help simplify the answers if we knew what want the web site to do. Meanwhile, using some of Ned's suggestions, go to godaddycom and you'll see a link labeled Building a web site which will help get you started. If you decide to go with it, choose the lowest cost plan and you'll get the domain name registration for only $1.99.

Howdy, Ned and Tom.

I am getting the idea as to what is required to set up a web site.

I am going to give a hypothetical example in terms that I know from writing code. I have created a VERY SIMPLE program that presents an opening page. It displays some items. When the user clicks on a specific item, another page will appear with text about the item chosen. There is also text that provides a go back to the opening page.  OK? That is all that this program's code will do. (Kind of inefficient, huh?  ;)  Now, here is the question. If this program executes and runs a web site AND the web site crashes, how can another person OTHER than the creator move this "code" to another web site?

I think that I know the answer but I want to hear what the experts say.  :)

Liz

A web site isn't a program that you write, it's just a collection of text files written in HTML (for a static web site).  Although it may look like a program, it's not really.  You need to get some basic knowledge of HTML at this point.  A Google search on html tutorial will turn up a lot of places that offer instruction in HTML.  The first result (http://www.w3schools.com/html/) is an excellent resource.

I've been using GoDaddy {Ned's advice} for a year now for web hosting as well as their great email.? In addition I've added an Online File Folder and the total cost is about $50 a year.? Their service has been impeccable and the server has not failed once.

Click Here for more web page templates than you will ever need and they are free.? You need to edit them using HTML and most of them can be figured out using Notepad and then you can use copy/paste your contents.

I would repeat Tom's question about what do you want this website to do?

Liz,
In addition to the already excellent info you've been given, let me add that it is not necessary to learn HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language), or any of the other languages and the associated acronyms we sometimes use. There are fill-in-the-blanks website builder software packages for little or no cost, and you can usually see the underlying HTML code that it generated; thus giving you an on-the-fly education in HTML or DHTML, or........... the list goes on. Many website hosts have this software available for you to use for free.

Jackliz said:
1.  A business
3.  No, there will be nothing to buy on this site.

If it's a business web site, but there is nothing to buy, what kind of business is this that has nothing to sell?

They do sell something (lots) but probably not via a web site :)  I would start with one of the many templates and modify it to your taste.  I expect this will be a mostly static site with occasional updates for pages like events calendar, etc.  A quick search from GoDaddy shows the appropriate domain is available so I would immediately register the .com, .org, .biz, .us and any others that you would want to secure before going any further.  Each domain will cost <$9/year for registration.  Look at the other coop park web sites for ideas.  Some of the web sites are nice, others leave some things to be desired :)

I'm a professional website designer (as I clear my throat and straighten my neck tie ;-) ).

You are welcome to read some helpful articles I've written for website owners (more geared toward commercial sites but works just as well with info sites).

http://www.paulferree.com/usefulinfo.htm

Also, I'll give you a hot tip:  Go to www.citymax.com and use their services...I've never found a better website builder in terms of usability and function.  I actually set up my newer clients on citymax.  Puts me out of some work, but now I usually work on a consultant basis.  Hey, just because you have a few pieces of wood, some nails and a blueprint, it doesn't mean you can build a house :).

Feel free to email me with any q's you may have.  There is a large gap between the technical and the business aspects of the online world, I'd like to think I'm a good mix of both and know how hard it is to get good, quality,  information.

Hope it helps,
Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom