How to unstuck the dreaded glue....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amykins753

Hello All,

I've been in the process of renovating a 1987 Terry Resort Travel Trailer. The trailer came equipped with a bedroom that has 2 twin beds and a space consuming middle counsel. My plans are to convert this bedroom into a Double Size bed by removing the twin bed frames and middle counsel/closet. The problem I'm having is that EVERYTHING is glued down AND stapled. I'm thinking I might just need someone with a little more brute force, but I've tried getting these dang twin bed frames out and I'm having a heck of a time! After taking all the screws out I attempted to use a large pry bar and sledgehammer with no luck! And I'm talking I was banging that thing until I was dripping in sweat. No budge! I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to break the glue that's keeping it stuck to the floor?

No glue is that strong to resist a sledge hammer. Its common sense or you are 'weak'!!. I am just joking. Logically speaking sledge hammering would have broken that frame by now. So my assumption is that there must be frame bolts under the columns which are hidden. If yes, you are in for a very difficult job as you may have to crawl underneath.
Now, I have seen the usage of heavy duty glue (aviation wood glue) which can withstand very strong blows if applied correctly. But It is unlikely that it will be that perfectly done in a motorhome. If you still confirm that it is glue, 'GoofOff' is a product commonly available that can loosen any glue. But problem is that it will help only an inch or two. By the time you apply it all over, the begining portion would already have dried up.
If it is me, I would first try with 'Isopropanol'(medical alcohol) if the basement is also wood. It works a bit slow but I will be able to apply all around and with patience, can make it work. 'Carb cleaner' on a very 'cold night' will work even better. If I am adament in getting it out, I would pull out my magical substance - 'Xylene'. It will leave a mark, loosens up rubber bushings, melts plastics and stings for a while, but it will work. The sting can be removed by using isopropanol.

No glue is that strong to resist a sledge hammer. Its common sense or you are 'weak'!!. I am just joking. Logically speaking sledge hammering would have broken that frame by now. So my assumption is that there must be frame bolts under the columns which are hidden. If yes, you are in for a very difficult job as you may have to crawl underneath.
Now, I have seen the usage of heavy duty glue (aviation wood glue) which can withstand very strong blows if applied correctly. But It is unlikely that it will be that perfectly done in a motorhome. If you still confirm that it is glue, 'GoofOff' is a product commonly available that can loosen any glue. But problem is that it will help only an inch or two. By the time you apply it all over, the begining portion would already have dried up.
If it is me, I would first try with 'Isopropanol'(medical alcohol) if the basement is also wood. It works a bit slow but I will be able to apply all around and with patience, can make it work. 'Carb cleaner' on a very 'cold night' will work even better. If I am adament in getting it out, I would pull out my magical substance - 'Xylene'. It will leave a mark, loosens up rubber bushings, melts plastics and stings for a while, but it will work. The sting can be removed by using isopropanol.
I know what you mean about that glue/adhesive they use . Im tearing my refrigerator enclosure out to make way for a larger full sized instead of the mini fridge that it came with.

That is some tuff stuff along with the staples . At first it seemed almost impossible . Then I developed a brain storm . I have a hot knife that I used to remove windshields from cars with.

It went through it like butter got it all removed down to the staples which I just beat down or grinded off .

Amykins,
I almost hate to suggest that you find a marine stuff place because they are usually as expensive a RV places, but they might have some stuff there called "DeBond" (spelling is unclear). That stuff will make anything short of cured epoxy let go. Just be very careful when working with it....
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom