How to use a class B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems to me you are considering only the extremes - a 22 ft Class B vs a 38-40 ft Super-C or Class A. A class B is inherently small because it fits inside a standard van body, but you break that limit if you move up just a bit to a smallish Class C (sometimes called a B+). Starting at about 25 ft, that size offers much more usable & comfortable layouts (especially if it has a slide) without the drawbacks of a looonng vehicle.

Take a look at something like a Winnebago View or Renegade Vienna and I think you will find something that is both a comfortable traveler and an easy driver. Both are on the Mercedes Sprinter diesel van chassis.
Good suggestion. We really need to find an opportunity to see some of these RVs from the inside to determine what is the minimum size we can be comfortable staying on for an extended trip, and on the other end of the spectrum whether I can see myself getting comfortable driving a Super C. My gut tells me to go big or go home - I always prefer open space. Unfortunately, 2 dimensional videos aren't really sufficient to help understand what it's like to be on the inside.

Yes, you really do need to see some of these in person, I am always amazed about how tiny the 24-25 ft B and B+ coaches feel compared to our 28 ft class A. A lot of that is the area lost in the cab and forward hood area, which is open space and often part of the living area in a class A with driver and passenger seats that swivel in a class A.

My wife and I are currently in the “research phase” looking at a soon to be post-retirement first purchase, with the intent of taking long cross country trips with a dog or two. Based on all the online research we have done, my original thought was to get a super C so as to have all onboard amenities and enough payload space. I have a couple of other threads here, and have really appreciated all the advice….yes we will rent first, and make sure the reality is as good as the “fantasy”. We still haven’t been able to see anything in person, but hope to schedule some time for that.

We were toying with the idea of potentially going in a different direction, in the event we couldn’t see ourselves living in the rig for a month or more at a time, or if there were any issues getting used to driving and managing such a large rig and toad etc. We were thinking perhaps getting a class B and arranging our trips to be a combination of RV parks with that, and hotels or other brick and mortar facilities as a change of pace. That would give us more options for tourism, some balance in terms of creature comforts and overall effort, but still give us some space for the dog (s), and the flexibility to be self-sufficient when necessary. I realize we would need to travel really light, and find pet friendly venues to stay in.

Does anyone use their class B like this, and is there anything else to consider or think about? Would trying to have a hybrid plan like this leave us half way to nowhere, or does it sound realistic?

Thanks!

Wow, what a coincidence. My wife and I having an almost identical discussion. Retired a couple years ago, and want to start getting away in the winter. However, the idea of 3-4 day drives in our SUV or truck, with a small dog, is not so attractive. We are considering a Class B as a very comfortable way to drive to a rental property or hotel. We would certainly try an RV camp or two, but the main objective would be traveling.

We are thinking the B size would be almost ideal--easy traveling and a reasonable vehicle to drive around once we get there.

We just went out and looked at a Jayko Swift 20T. Frankly, it looks pretty tempting!

Here is my take on a class B, they make great camping and travel support vehicles, think the perfect accessory to take along for a day at the beach, or some sort of festival, possibly great to travel in where you have your own basic bathroom, and utility level kitchen big enough to prepare a basic meal, but a bit too small to vacation / live in longer term, though I can possibly see it with the right floor plan if you are a minimalist and traveling solo.

Lots of great discussion. Especially Gary's comment abut "all or nothing" in terms of size. Almost all of us get "1-fot-itis" when we start contemplating. OPs first requirement was room to spread out and travel with a dog.

A large Class A is not a small Class B. It's a step above an SUV in terms of traveling.

I would not get a Class B and split time in a hotel "for breaks." The advantage of an RV is that you don't have to pack clothes. Who wants to do both - pack and not unpack.

OPs other comment is about getting around at a destination. Maybe OP should be considering a 24-is foot trailer and a F150/1500 class truck.

Otherwise I think OP should be looking at a 24-26 Class C.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom