HR Imperial 40'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dieselnod

My wife and I are currently in the process of purchasing a 2000 HR Imperial, dual slide, 350 Cummins pusher, allison 6sp w/ another couple. It has been garaged with a/c, only has 7800mi and looks pristine. the purchase px is @ 50% of new. Any info/insight on this model or experience of owning jointly w another couple would be greatly appreciated!!
Just some additional details, know owner for last 8 yrs, owns a fleet of trucks, assumed he has maintained his personal rv, I appreciate all the input posted, I have not taken it for a ride yet but will certainly do so before making final decision. Owners usage has been a couple of times a year, it has not sat for longer than 8-9 months, he changes oil at least once/year.

Dieselnod said:
My wife and I are currently in the process of purchasing a 2000 HR Imperial, dual slide, 350 Cummins pusher, allison 6sp w/ another couple. It has been garaged with a/c, only has 7800mi and looks pristine. the purchase px is @ 50% of new. Any info/insight on this model or experience of owning jointly w another couple would be greatly appreciated!!

Hmmm. A 6 year old coach with only 7,800 miles? Is the engine the original? If the engine is the original, I would be concerned with dried out seals, hoses, etc. Did you drive this coach?

Liz

Hmmm.... That low a mileage on a 6-year old coach doesn't bode well. Sounds like it's been sitting, maybe neglected, for a long time. Even if everything were 100% o.k., you still have to deal with joint ownership and the scheduling, cleanup, maintenance, insurance, storage, etc. costs involved. Consider it very carefully, then sleep on it and consider it again. Think about all the people you know who have been less than pleased with their condo/resort/spa/vacation home timesharing experiences.

Yep, bet the tires look like new also... well get ready to replace all of them.  Five to six years is the age to change tires, regardless of what they look like.  Sure they look good, but don't take a chance on them blowing out, get new tires.  Others have spoken about the engine seals being dried out.  Those are EXPENSIVE to replace.  Also, has the oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze been changed in the last six years?  What is the state of SCAs for the coolant?  Have filters been changed per the maintenance schedule?

An unused coach often cost more to keep running than one that runs up the mileage.

Rex

50% off List  Sure don't sound like much of a bargin to me.  Check the NADA and get the basic price  with no extras and no mileage listing.  Then deduct the price of new tire twice  and then another 2G  I wouldn't pay a dime more than that figure, cuz your maintenance figure is going to be very costly  for a unit that has set that long.  Heck it's possible that even the Awnings have dry rotted.  JMHO

I really hope that works out for you as you are getting a lot of bus for the money.  I'd check the NADA and the RVCG and see how it rates.  I'd also talk with the owner and find out how often it was started and used.  Could have been 1000mi per year which would be OK.  You are looking at new tires and I'd definitely have a mechanic look at it.  It sounds great and I really do not know about having another couple share it as MH's seem to be more personal things to me.  Good luck and please post how this works out..
Phil

Checking the NADA is a good idea but I wouldn't bother with the RVCG info since IMHO their information is all speculation anyway and can give you bad information.  There are some HR owners right here on the forum that IMHO can and will give you much more accurate information.  I just don't see how anybody can rate a coach if they haven't actually performed any tests on the rig they are supposably rating.

Ron, I have to agree the RVCG does not test the coaches but they do take info from a large group of people who own them.  IMHO they are one of the tools to be used in the purchase of a used coach along with info from Forum members and other sources.  The least reliable source would be the salesman.  Ran into one the other day that did not know what IFS was but would swear his coach would handle as well as any IFS would?!  Lots of money, lots of hype and lots of confusion.  As Joe Friday said, "Just the facts Mam".
Phil     

IMHO RVCG rates somewhere below the salesman since the salesman has at least seen the coach and maybe even rode in it.  No I just can't believe anybody can give a good reliable rating on something they haven't tested or even inspected.  As for taking information from owners ask Ned what his experience was with them.  Personally I don't even consider them to be a good tool but then that is my opinion.

A Holiday Imperial is one heck of a coach and one you will be proud to own. But all the warnings the others have given you are real, though not all the dire predictions may befall this particular coach. It does, however, absolutely need new tires unless they have already been replaced (unlikely). They will look like new but are rotting with age and ready to blow out (literally!) at any moment. You might get 100 miles or you might get another 6-12 months, but the daily risk is high and the end inevitable.

Definitely check the NADA price for the coach at NADA Guides. Consider the NADA price to be the high end and do not allow an extra for low mileage or excellent condition - the market simply doesn't support that kind of pricing.  RV's depreciate terribly and 50% of original  list is probably no more than it is worth. And the seller won't be able to get even half that if he tries to wholesale to a dealer, so it is a buyer's market.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom