Hughes.net

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie Ekberg

I have been thinking about getting rid of home phone and DSL line which costs about $80 a month. I also, use internet in the coach for many months out of the year in Montana. I also have AOL- which is like cancer- you almost cannot get rid of it all. So with that all said, what is the best way to do this without killing our bank account with new equpment?
Do I need separate equipment for the coach and house? Thank you all for your response. Ernie Ekberg, driving a wanderlodge

You can use the same HughesNet modem in both the house and the RV, just have a fixed mount antenna on the house and either a tripod mount or Datastorm for the coach.  There will be in initial expense for equipment and the monthly cost will be a bit less than the DSL and phone, but you'll still want a cell phone (if you don't already) to replace the land line so the overall cost won't be much different.

As for getting rid of AOL, this is one case where a reformat and reinstall of Windows and all applications is the only solution.

Thanks, Ned- we- Brenda and I have 2 cell phones. I guess we will always wil have those. I could probably handle the tri-pod mount for the coach. Ernie

Lot of folks move the modem from their RV to the house and have a second antenna mounted at the house that stays there.  Some just park the RV near the house and connect wireless to the system using the antenna mounted on the RV.  One advantage to the tripod configuration you can set it up almost anywhere.

What happens, when i just take the laptop with me- can i wifi using the hughes.net? Lotsa questions. Ernie

If you connect the HughesNet modem to a router with WiFi or a WiFi access point, you can use WiFi to access the internet connection as long as you can connect to the access point.

Depending on your home's layout you may not even need that 2nd antenna for the house.  You may be able to use one mounted on the roof of the RV if you can park close enough, or use the tripod (if you choose that option) at home.  I have done that

In fact when I first got home with the system we had a power failure.  I'd set up the tripod in the back yard at the one spot where I could actually SEE the bird (I have way too many trees for sat stuff) and left it hooked to the Modem in the MH.  MH has a wireless router and when the lights went out in Detroit.... I hit the START button on the MH's Generator, ran an extension cord to the house for stuff that needed power and logged in to the net via hughes and continued my evening I-Net run

A better way (if close enough) would be to move the modem.  But I like not having to move it when I do this

By the way, The rain that came with the wind that knocked out power did not bother the Dish at all, Some signal loss but no where near a problem  I was in Detroit (at home) at the time

Where I'm at now we have high-wind warnings,  Took out my TV tripod more than once till I got it super weighted down

Did not bother my Internet tripod though (Six gallons of water hold it down)

I really appreciate all the info. Can a tripod dish be purchased from the person that installs the home?
Also, if I'm in the coach, and my wife is at home can both of us be online at the same time? Tyring to explore all the avenues. Ernie

Generally, the home installers don't know anything about mobile use.  I strongly recommend getting the mobile system from one of the installers that specialize in mobile systems (see here for one that is a member of our forum).  Get the mobile system first, then you can get a home antenna mounted,if you really need it.

If you have a WiFi access point connected to the modem, then you can have several computers sharing the internet connection.

Get the tripod system first then you will be able to get a second antenna at a reasonable cost if you want one for your home.  Also by getting the tripod system from a mobile friendly installer you will get training on setting it up so installation of a second dish at home will be a snap for you to do yourself.  Are you in Dallas now?

One more question. If by chance, i have to take laptop and not my hughes software, can I still get a dial-up connection? thanks, Ernie

You can always get a dialup connection, providing you have a dialup ISP.

So, the hughes system does not support dial up, if you cannot take  your hardware or software from hughes with you?- Of course, this may never happen, but- just in case, I'd like to know. Thanks, guys, for all your help. Ernie

Ernie,

No dial-up service with HughesNet. I use two alternative/backup options if/when I don't deploy the HughesNet dish:

• T-mobile air card (several other cell carriers offer air card service). I pay a monthly fee for the service in addition to having paid $$ up front for the hardware.
  • WiFi, built in to one of my notebooks or using a WiFi card (or even the air card) on another notebook. I use WiFi as a last resort and only with a bona fide service, paid or unpaid. I don't log onto another RVer's network without their approval.

Ernie Ekberg said:
So, the hughes system does not support dial up, if you cannot take your hardware or software from hughes with you?- Of course, this may never happen, but- just in case, I'd like to know. Thanks, guys, for all your help. Ernie

Although you cannot use your Hughesnet account without your Hughesnet equipment you can get your Hughesnet e-mail via mail2web when connected to dialup or wifi in a park or such.  However, if you are connected to a wifi system I can't imagine why you would net your Hughesnet account except to retrieve e-mail as mentioned above.

Today you're as likely to find a WiFi internet connection in a campground as a phone line.  Get a good, directional USB WiFi adapter and you should be able to get online nearly everywhere.  If the campground doesn't have WiFi, then head for the nearest coffee shop that does and have a latte while getting email and surfing :)

I have a new sony vaio laptop with all the wifi stuff built in. I do wifi at campgrounds. This has been a very informative discussion, and I thank you. Ernie- home from driving my wanderlodge

Ernie,

In case you haven't seen it, we have a file of campgrounds offering free WiFi in our library here, courtesy of forum member James Harrison.
[edit]Link update[/edit]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom